• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Paint Type & Re-Paint Front Fender

1995 Formula Red NSX
I need to have a fender stripped and re-painted and was wondering what type of paint came on the car. I have heard from some that it is laquer; color & clearcoat. I believe the fender may have been re-painted once in it's life; what type of paint - I don't know. My questions are:
1) Should I try to get it re-painted with the original type of paint or can I go with the modern "water based" paint? In Calif they don't let us use anything but water based....unless I buy the paint out of state and find someone to spray it.
2) Can the color be matched well without "blending" into other panels?

Thank you for your input; NSX Prime is great!

!) NSX's were originally painted with water-based base coats so going with the water-based base coats should pose no obstacle to success.
Note: Water-based base coats have been used for many many years in vehicle manufacture here in the U.S.A. and around the world.

2) I have been able to paint the Formula Red panel to panel so others should be able to as well. Of course there are standard techniques to achieve a good paint match with the style of paint such as is Formula Red but here is no place to conduct a paint clinic. Your shop either has the personnel and training to do this or they don't.

Note: The Formula Red was a base coat with a tinted clear. The way this is usually done in the field is base coat, tinted mid-coat and then the clear coats (catalyzed urethane).

By the way, if it is at all possible you want to avoid stripping your panel to the bare metal.

Last edited:
With the recommendation of John (Anytime) our NSX Prime moderator and annual Canyon Run organizer, I went to Art Garnica @ A&R in Oxnard, CA (805 486-3654). He did an absolutely perfect color and clear coat depth match without blending the other panels. I have never experienced this level of commitment, perfection and customer service with a body/paint shop before.
Guy

Back