• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Stereo lights out

My 94's OEM stereo lights just went out. The radio still works and sound is great. The display still lights up but the buttons and knobs do not. Anyone have this same problem? Is this a sign the head unit may start to go? Anyone ever have this issue and solved it (other than buying new stereo).

I had this same exact issue in my car when I first bought it. I ended up just buying another cheap oem stereo that was junked (paint spilled on the face) and swapped my stereo face onto it. That fixed it. Sorry, I don't have a more specific way of fixing it. The stereo functioned fine like you are saying other than that. Still hasn't had any issues 8 years going. Easiest way really is put another stereo in. But maybe someone (BrianK?) knows how to fix them.

Do all your other dash lights work OK? I believe the radio button lights are driven by a 12V input from the dash lights circuit.

Did you happen to adjust your balance control? If so, you may have that knob pulled out which turns off all of the radio lighting except the display.

Did you happen to adjust your balance control? If so, you may have that knob pulled out which turns off all of the radio lighting except the display.

No, but I did just clean the interior, so that might be the issue! LOL I'll give that a check. I was hoping it might be something like that!

Bullithollywood, all the other lights are lit so I am thinking the above may do the trick. It did just happen after I cleaned.

Thanks for the replies!

Well...Don't I feel stupid. I guess I keep learning new things about this car! That was it! LOL Thanks Hadly!

I just tried it on mine and they didn't go out when I had the balance or treble/fade knobs out? Not that is matters since they work, but glad it worked for you!

When you pop out the balance knob give it a slight 'pull' and it turns off the lights!! An obscure feature on some Honda radios from WAY back in the day!

When you pop out the balance knob give it a slight 'pull' and it turns off the lights!! An obscure feature on some Honda radios from WAY back in the day!

Had to go out and try it. Yup, that's funny! I don't think I ever had the knob pulled out like that on my original stereo, but maybe connection was screwed up there. After 8 year of ownership, learned something new!

I've actually owned two "old" Honda's before (87 Accord and 92 Prelude), but neither had the OEM stereo.

Last edited:
Back