• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM stereo system question

So, I just replaced my OEM deck and notice something...

When I play a CD, the volume and clarity are pretty good (but not ideal).

When I play the radio the volume is markedly lower and crackles.

I checked the antenna connections and they are both fine. I checked at the antenna in the trunk as well, it appears to be fine.

I removed the amp relay under the hood to see if that caused and sound quality variance; it did. All music stopped playing. So, I put that back.

My sense is that the door speakers are working okay but the center footwell and rear are not working at all.

Is it possible (by design I suppose) that if the footwell amp is not working it affects the whole system?

- - - Updated - - -

I just tested my cassette adapter (gizmo that sits in cassette deck and you run your iPod music through the OEM stereo). Same result as radio.

If my hunch is correct, the cd player must have some sort of amp to it, albeit minor. If that is correct, my center speaker needs replacing first and then the door speakers.

What exactly do you mean by "just replaced my OEM deck"? .. with a different OEM deck? .. with a non-OEM deck? Assuming you replaced it with a different OEM deck .. based on your comments that the CD music is fine but the radio and cassette music isn't working well .. would lead me to believe that your replacement deck is bad. There is no separate 'amp' for the CD .. it essentially plugs right into the deck .. but internally, the deck would have different circuitry for the radio and for the cassette. It's not as common as the speakers but the OEM deck is known to have the same problems with capacitors that the door amps do. If CD music seems to play fine, then I'd agree with you that the door amps are probably ok .. although you should use the L/R fade function to make sure each is ok without the other. The deck sends the appropriate signals to each amp and both Left & Right to the sub amp.. which combines them; strips out the lower frequencies for the sub and also drives the center rear. If your rear isn't working then you need to get the sub amp fixed. BrianK can fix it for about $100. He can also fix OEM head unit issues as well. You might find this post useful: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/179615-NSX-OEM-Stereo-System-101?highlight=Bose

What exactly do you mean by "just replaced my OEM deck"? .. with a different OEM deck? .. with a non-OEM deck? Assuming you replaced it with a different OEM deck .. based on your comments that the CD music is fine but the radio and cassette music isn't working well .. would lead me to believe that your replacement deck is bad. There is no separate 'amp' for the CD .. it essentially plugs right into the deck .. but internally, the deck would have different circuitry for the radio and for the cassette. It's not as common as the speakers but the OEM deck is known to have the same problems with capacitors that the door amps do. If CD music seems to play fine, then I'd agree with you that the door amps are probably ok .. although you should use the L/R fade function to make sure each is ok without the other. The deck sends the appropriate signals to each amp and both Left & Right to the sub amp.. which combines them; strips out the lower frequencies for the sub and also drives the center rear. If your rear isn't working then you need to get the sub amp fixed. BrianK can fix it for about $100. He can also fix OEM head unit issues as well. You might find this post useful: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/179615-NSX-OEM-Stereo-System-101?highlight=Bose

Thanks NSX2398.

OEM deck was replaced with a used OEM deck. Looked well-cared for. But, it could be faulty.

I know BrianK (he did my last center amp).

I am going to replace the center amp and see if that works.

Back