• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Breather kit IS it Necessary on a turbo kit?

Oil Breather kit, IS it Necessary on a turbo kit? What does it help with and whats the pros and cons of having it?

Yes. We feel it's necessary to have a proper crankcase breather setup on any/all forced induction engines. Google around crankcase breather, crankcase evacuation, crankcase pressure. You will get a good understanding why from information readily available on the internet.

Regardless of the year, one of the NSX valve covers is vented into the intake by the factory. You can not keep the same arrangement with a turbo setup since this tract will now be pressurized.

It is common to replace the breather line with a breather filter which will allow the crankcase to vent to atmosphere. 3.0L engines should also have the filter raised above the valve cover, which can be done with a simple hose and coupler fitting, as the rear valve cover is lower than the front, and positive pressure from the crankcase can push out oil. We offer a custom made breather reservoir which allows both front and rear valve covers to vent into. With this tank, the crankcase can breath to atmosphere, or be recirculated back into the intake system (ahead of the turbo).

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...roducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/oil_breather_tank/

-- Chris

There's a few options out there. I went with this one. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140691&highlight=stmpo

I'd like to run larger lines since if you're boosted you're in need of a larger venting system. I was told you want to not only enlarge the filter outlets on the breather tank, but the lines themselves. It's better to be safe.

But then again, I've heard of people running without breather setups and they're fine.

Stephen

Hardcore NSX Why did you and love fab think you needed one? as lot of turbo kits run fine without it? Just wondering, thanks

Its all preference. There are alot of guys not running them. I choose to because Im a damb worry wort! Is it necessary no, or all companies would include them in their kits. It just makes me feel better:smile:

Does this apply to supercharged motors too?

You can see the aluminum can & breather filter setup Cody made for the original LoveFab shop car in the upper right of the engine bay.
Overkill?
Perhaps, but I sure do like it :cool:

Brian

Last edited:
Back