Coolant Reservoir

Hey yall! My dad has a 96 NSX targa with a turbo kit (can’t remember who makes the kit but he definitely found it on here). He’s been talking about an aluminum/stainless coolant reservoir for YEARS and I figured that would make a sweet Father’s Day gift. I am a skilled welder and could make it myself if someone could send me some good dimensions of theirs. I would prefer to just buy one, but I can’t find anyone that still makes them! Help with either of these solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Hey yall! My dad has a 96 NSX targa with a turbo kit (can’t remember who makes the kit but he definitely found it on here). He’s been talking about an aluminum/stainless coolant reservoir for YEARS and I figured that would make a sweet Father’s Day gift. I am a skilled welder and could make it myself if someone could send me some good dimensions of theirs. I would prefer to just buy one, but I can’t find anyone that still makes them! Help with either of these solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
What a thoughtful gift for your father! Here's the deal on NSX coolant tanks. Because of the amount and distribution of pressure on the seams, any kind of sharp-angle welded flat plate almost always leaks. This is why all OEM tanks are rounded. Your best bet if you want to fab it yourself is to do a "jug" style tank like the old Dali racing units. Here's one Hugh had for sale. The only welds here are at the filler neck and the hose nipples. The rest is rolled flat stock, which effectively eliminates any chance of cracking and leaking. On your dad's turbo NSX, a coolant leak can be fatal to the car.

PXL_20230812_000059590.jpg

These are kind of tricky to make because you need to avoid any weld seams on the tank body and you need to add internal U-shaped baffles on the bottom of the tank to prevent sloshing. It may be easier to just buy one. @Miner ran a group buy and he may have some left:

Back