• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Oil Change gadget

I wouldnt be safe putting this onto my X.. but maybe my beater.

Problem is that someone who doesnt like you can just go and flip a switch..

Besdies how hard is it to turn a nut?? and I feel secure knowing that all it takes is One turn to let the oil flow?

------------------
'92 Sebring Silver NSX #181

I had this item on my 98 VR4, and it was excellent. The quality is much superior to the original drain plug and makes oil changes a snap. With all the aluminum on our cars the less steel bolst I have to remove the better. There is no way anyone will let the oil out of your car. If they really wanted to they'd use a wrench, right. This item does not leak at all. You put it on once and that's it. To drain the oil, you just turn the petcock (it locks into place when closed) and that's it. Turn it back the other way to seal. No more worries about stripped bolts or housings. As far as the Griot extracter, don't waste your money. It leaves about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts in the crankcase.
Go for the drain plug. You won't be sorry.

Larry

Originally posted by Larry:
As far as the Griot extracter, don't waste your money. It leaves about 1 to 1 1/2 quarts in the crankcase.
Larry

NOT TRUE! (at least for the NSX). The oil extractor pulls MORE oil out of the NSX than just draining the oil pan, about ¼ quart more. I know from experience the extractor doesn’t work well with every make (it leaves about 1 quart in my S4), but it’s a really nice tool for the NSX. I’ve been using it for years. The first few times I used it I removed the drain plug afterwards to see how much oil it left in the pan and not even ONE DROP came out.

It’s a nice tool for the NSX.

DanO

I second Dano. I've been using the oil extractor for a couple of years now with the same results. I also pulled the oil plug after using the extractor and not a drop of oil came out of my NSX. I use it on all my three cars" '98 Mercedes, 2000 3.5 RL and my NSX with the same results - it's a great tool.

Originally posted by DanO:
NOT TRUE! (at least for the NSX). The oil extractor pulls MORE oil out of the NSX than just draining the oil pan, about ¼ quart more. I know from experience the extractor doesn’t work well with every make (it leaves about 1 quart in my S4), but it’s a really nice tool for the NSX. I’ve been using it for years. The first few times I used it I removed the drain plug afterwards to see how much oil it left in the pan and not even ONE DROP came out.

It’s a nice tool for the NSX.

DanO

Apologies if this sounds like a really dumb question but, if you use the extractor, do you need to remove the drain plug? And if not, do we have to be concerned about leaving that crush washer in there ad infinitum and worry that it will fail?

There are no dumb questions when talking about working on a 20k engine. The only dumb question is the one that's not asked!

if you use the extractor, do you need to remove the drain plug?

If you use the extractor properly while doing an oil change on the NSX then no, you don’t have to remove the drain plug.

And if not, do we have to be concerned about leaving that crush washer in there ad infinitum and worry that it will fail?

Properly installed (new) crush washers do not fail. The problem with crush washer failure may arise when a crush washer is reused…which is like reusing the engine oil just changed out…kind of stupid. OEM crush washers (USE OEM ONLY) are inexpensive. Using new crush washers is important for two reasons: 1) the drain plug torque values are based on the assumption that a new OEM crush washer is installed. 2) A new crush washer “crushes” thus creating a perfect seal between the oil pan and drain plug accounting for small imperfections in the drain bolt flange or drain pan and/or any microscopic debris between these surfaces. So if you take the crush washer out or reuse one (same thing) then your seal will not be as tight and may result in oil loss.

DanO

Back