• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil consumption at the track

Hi everyone,
I got my car back 2 weeks ago from Driving Ambition after having the engine rebuilt due to a busted rod bearing, and also had a 3 quart accusump installed. i took it to a track day last week, and changed the oil today to get the break in oil out (Shad said it was fine/good for the car to take it to a track with that oil in it, but should change it relatively soon) and was surprised to see it burned 2 quarts of oil in that short period of time.

Does that seem normal for a recently rebuilt engine to consume that much oil from one track day?or Should i be concerned?

I will speak to Shad on monday about this but just wanted to hear from others and their experiences with oil consumption at the track.

I don't burn any oil on a track day, but it might have something to do with your recent rebuild. Don't panic yet, wait to talk to Shad and see what he says.

My 1991 with 120K miles burns very little, if any, oil. I'm wondering what weight the break-in oil was and if the accusump was actually full before the track session?

the nsx does not "burn" through oil,most likely some of your missing oil is in the acusump system.The "breakin Oil" should be clarified with Shad,maybe some of it could have been used up if it is a nonsynthetic type.

thanks for the responses..I spoke to Shad, and he said that since car is rebuilt with lower compression aftermarket pistons/etc, that some oil consumption is expected at the track and I shouldn't worry....

I am still a little concerned since if I didn't have an accusump, 2 quarts out of 5.3 quarts of oil is almost 40% burned off in one track day..doesn't seem right to me. I have another track day this friday and have fresh 10w-30 fully synthetic oil in there, so I guess I will see how it goes this time..

If it was recently rebuilt the rings likely haven't fully seated yet. You will burn some oil until the rings seat. When at the track you should check your oil level every session.

If the Accusump wasn't fully filled when the car left the shop, this could be your issue as it could have filled up under high revs at the track and drained some out of the pan. This recently happened to me where I thought I burned through 1/2 qt on the track, but in reality the Accusump wasn't fully filled at the shop and it filled itself at the track showing 1/2 qt low in the pan. I added oil after the first session and it has been fine ever since. My car has 105k miles and doesn't burn a drop of oil anytime. However, I take meticulous care of the car and change the 10/30 Mobil 1 after every track event and never let the oil temp get over 240 degrees.

Had another track day this past friday at thunderhill, And changed the oil the day after. I put exactly 8 quarts of oil in it last weekend, and got exactly 7.25 quarts of oil out of the car/accusump. So now it went through 3/4 of a quart, much better then 2 quarts, but still causing me some concern.

one thing I didn't mention was that my car has a comptech supercharger with high boost upgrade, AEM FIC, and a lower compression built engine. Do you think "blow by" is a cause for all of this? Would this amount of oil consumption be a normal amount for "blow by"? I know it is common for turbocharged cars to have catch cans installed, but am not sure if this is common for supercharged applications.

Anyone have input or experiences/comments with this?

mine doesn't burn a drop street or track, but it is NA.

the Gallardo, on the other hand...

Had another track day this past friday at thunderhill, And changed the oil the day after. I put exactly 8 quarts of oil in it last weekend, and got exactly 7.25 quarts of oil out of the car/accusump. So now it went through 3/4 of a quart, much better then 2 quarts, but still causing me some concern.

one thing I didn't mention was that my car has a comptech supercharger with high boost upgrade, AEM FIC, and a lower compression built engine. Do you think "blow by" is a cause for all of this? Would this amount of oil consumption be a normal amount for "blow by"? I know it is common for turbocharged cars to have catch cans installed, but am not sure if this is common for supercharged applications.

Anyone have input or experiences/comments with this?

Did you account for the oil filter?
I fill the oil filter before installing.

I have a low compression motor. I was told that It will burn a little oil.
Not enough that I have really noticed though.

Later,
Don

Yep, I was pretty methodical about it. I filled the car with exactly 8 quarts last weekend, then after my track on friday, when I changed my oil, I drained the accusump, the oil from the oil pan, and the oil from the oil filter all into the same oil pan, and then measured all of that quart by quart when I was transferring the oil from the oil pan to my used oil container. Measured exactly 7.25 quarts doing this. so I am pretty confident that the car does in fact burn oil. So my main two questions are:

1. is this really a sign that something is wrong, or is it something that is inherent with a FI, built motor?

2. If I burn about a quart every track day, where does all that oil actually go, and will it build up and cause more issues down the road. Or does it just shoot past the rings, go out the exhaust and doesn't hurt anything except for me having to add a little oil after every event?

Did you account for the oil filter?
I fill the oil filter before installing.

I have a low compression motor. I was told that It will burn a little oil.
Not enough that I have really noticed though.

Later,
Don

I'm not up on the latest ring material/break in needs and am a worm compared to Shad, but i did built race engines way back in the 70's, so a few thoughts- How many street miles did you do before the track? We would never put street rings on a car going quickly to the track. We would use soft cast iron rings that really don't even need a break-in, so the ring materials and aggressiveness of the cross hatch determines how much "easy" time needed. But you do infer Shad said it was OK to go right to the track. I don't want to second guess, but i would not have taken the car to the track even if Shad said it was OK for around 2-3k. A new engine wants its rpm varied constantly. With the NSX limited HP (maybe yours not so limited), the TRACK load is pretty much constant. But thats me and i would imagine Shad is using rings that break in fast. Hopefully you have not glazed and just need more time. If it continues you'll have to compression test or now days you could probably use an optical device and actually look at the walls. Fingers crossed for you. Hopefully more recent actual NSX builders will provide more.

Also-I don't remember the exact issue or cause, and your accusump system likely negates this, but i do remember way back several threads on NSX engines sucking oil back thru to the air cleaner and draining out the bottom of the box. They would go down multiple quarts a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back