• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Oil Filter

I've just changed the oil for the 4th time - 13K miles, 4 oil changes since new. I have a '99 NSX. Every time I've tightened the filter I've done it by hand and I get to the end of the threads before I reach the customary 3/4 turns to get the filter tightened. I'm no Hercules, normal 5' 10" 180 pounds. What's up? I've used an OEM Acura filter each time.

No leaks, no problems, works fine, but I'm still curious. I've never experienced this in any of my other numerous cars over the years. Is this a normal NSX thing?

[This message has been edited by 1HOT NSX (edited 18 December 2001).]

just in case (and please don't be offended), are you using a new crush washer each time? i'm sure you are, but if you were to use the same one over and over, i could see that being a possiblity for your concern.

------------------
Xane Ze

First of all the spec is 7/8 of a turn, not 3/4 on an OEM oil filter. I've installed hundreds of these over the last 10 years on Civics and NSX's and NEVER seen one bottom the threads out. Are you sure you're starting to count the turns when the O-ring on the filter *just* makes contact with the mounting seat? I think you may be counting from the time the filter contacts the seat with is incorrect. BTW the crush washer fits on the oil drain plug; not the oil filter.

Xane Ze,

Of course no offense taken but it's the filter not the oil plug that I was referring to. As far as I know no washer is needed to install the filter, right? Sorry if my question wasn't clear.

NSXMAN,

Do you know how many ft/lb of torque are needed for the filter?

[/QUOTE] Are you sure you're starting to count the turns when the O-ring on the filter *just* makes contact with the mounting seat? I think you may be counting from the time the filter contacts the seat with is incorrect.[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks Soichiro, you are right, I'm counting from the time the filter "gently" contacts the seat. Thanks. I'll follow NSXMan's advice and torque it to the correct figure.

Yes, of course I lubed the gasket with oil before installing the filter Gomaidy. I've been changing my own oil in all my cars over the years and I've never encountered this. I was hoping this was just a quirk of the NSX that everyone knew about. My present daily driver (2000 3.5 RL) doesn't exhibit this condition nor did the other Hondas I've owned in the past.

Originally posted by 1HOT NSX:
Xane Ze,

Of course no offense taken but it's the filter not the oil plug that I was referring to. As far as I know no washer is needed to install the filter, right? Sorry if my question wasn't clear.

NSXMAN,

yep, you're right. i'll pay more attention next time. filter not plug.

------------------
Xane Ze

16 ft-lb.

If you're going to work on your own car, you absolutely MUST buy the factory service manual, where you could look this up.

Back