• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

??? Oil filters ???

Just checking to see if anyone runs other filters other than the OEM filter. Such as K&N, Fram, etc.

Roman

There are places to save money but I would think that this is not one of them. The oil filer has a pressure relief (bypass) valve and you would not want to risk anything by using an oil filter that was not designed to meet the OEM specifications. I doubt anything bad would happen, but I would stay with the OEM filters.

Check out one of the discount Honda parts dealers, such as Tim at Ray Laks Acura (1-888-RayLaks), Dali Racing or others discussed on this website. There have been several threads discussing discount pricing on genuine Honda parts.

Originally posted by wfo_18:
Just checking to see if anyone runs other filters other than the OEM filter. Such as K&N, Fram, etc.

Roman

There have been several studies published on the web comparing aftermarket oil filters. You would be shocked at what some name brand filters look like inside and how they performed. Stick with the Honda part.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Ouch... Thanks for the information.

Stock it is.

Roman

Stick with OEM, years ago, FRAM made good stuff and built a reputation. Now they make cheap junk for oil filters, but most buyers sell their cars before they realize or never blame the worn out engine on their cheap oil filters.

I believe I heard somewhere that FRAM's are banned from AMA race events due to them blowing their seal in race conditions. Definitely not something for a high performance vehicle.

Bill

OEM OEM OEM-And don't let a mechanic substitute a Legend filter for the NSX. The threads fit, but the filter is smaller.

$8 !!!!, you've been robbed. Join the NSXCA, find the nearest Acura dealer that will give you a discount for being a member, and save, save, save.

Less than $8... PLEASE do tell your contact and location.

I believe the stock filter lists for $14, which means you should be able to buy them for around $10-11. Even your local dealer should be willing to give you that price, if you're buying a half dozen at a time. But $8? Hmmm...

I use a Canton filter, 203-481-9460, part #25-290. It has a machined aluminum housing with a replaceable high flow, fine filtration oil filter element, 8 micron. Expensive but nice.

Gary

I did some asking around and decided to go with a Purilator. Most people will say to stay with stock and I think that's fine too. But I've also seen studies where the Purilator filters were actually rated better than those designed by the OEM manufacturer. I doubt any of it really makes a big difference though.

Originally posted by Slingshot:
Ray Lakes - Honda Acura World is around $5 each with shipping for an order of six including the crush washers. I ordered six and it was $27.90 plus $2.00 shipping (Total $29.90) Part Number 15400-PL2-004
http://www.hondacuraworld.com/frame.html

[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 04 April 2002).]

I'm just curious if you ordered these from them (their phone has been busy all am) and if you got them and if they were the OEM NSX filter after all? I called my local dealer buddy and he says that price (after you figure $8.00 of it for a discounted UPS shipping rate with tape and a box added and 5 min labor to throw the filters in the box etc.) is an approximate net to them of $21.00 or $3.50 each. Charge it on your Visa and they loose another 3%. What is left for them after the smoke clears is less than 40% of your local friendly Acura dealers actual net cost on them. Not possible. Not even if they send the "shortie" Legend filter.

------------------
need more info? please private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Originally posted by Darkcyd:
I doubt any of it really makes a big difference though.

Sorry, that's just a silly statement. You're taking chances with an awful expensive piece of equipment over, what, a $5 difference between the one designed for the car and the generic one designed for the lowest common denominator. I'm not knocking your particular choice of a Purolator filter because you don't say which one you are using but I am saying that there is no way a generic after-market filter, generally speaking, is as good as the OEM part. Take a look at this Engine Oil Filter Study. For some very good information on oil filters and lubrication needs see this article from the SHO Club. Skip to part 5 for the oil filter info.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

I cut open the OEM filter and a Fram. Not only is the OEM filter element bigger and more dense, but it also has alot more pleats (I think about 25 more; it's been awhile). I gave them to my local Acura parts guy to use as a sales tool.

Originally posted by NSXGOD:
I'm just curious if you ordered these from them (their phone has been busy all am) and if you got them and if they were the OEM NSX filter after all? I called my local dealer buddy and he says that price (after you figure $8.00 of it for a discounted UPS shipping rate with tape and a box added and 5 min labor to throw the filters in the box etc.) is an approximate net to them of $21.00 or $3.50 each. Charge it on your Visa and they loose another 3%. What is left for them after the smoke clears is less than 40% of your local friendly Acura dealers actual net cost on them. Not possible. Not even if they send the "shortie" Legend filter.

Not to discredit your local dealer buddy, but I ordered 2 filters from Tracy at Gunn Acura for about $29 delivered. I only used one and when the 6 from Honda Acura World came in, they were the identical sky blue Acura filters. Go figure ...
I ordered on the web site and the total cost was exactly as I stated for filters and shipping. There was no sales tax. It was under NSX, but now I noticed you need to go to the CL oil filter menu.

Not to discredit your local dealer buddy,...

Not to discredit your source buddy (because they don't claim to sell NSX filters) but they show the same parts code (OFW) for every car for which they list filters. Yet for many cars they do not list filters at all. This tells me that they stock one part and (perhaps accurately) list it wherever applicable, which does not include the NSX. Clearly you have jumped to confusion in thinking that all Honda filters are created equal.

O yee of little faith and no facts ...
whatever...

most importantly, I was replying to those who were searching for a source, and not to question the senility of profit structures, or your assumptions on product integrity. The filter matched the previous "Honda logoed" royal blue filter made in Japan with both English, German, and Japanese fitting instructions, in the same dimensions as the dealer filter from dealer oil changes, and the one that I replaced with from Gunn Acura that was wrapped in plastic and labeled with the identical part number and supplied with a crush washer.

It is the challenges received on threads like these that discourages members to want to reply with helpful information to posts.

Geez ... get a life sjs

[This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited 06 April 2002).]

Is part number 154000-PL2-004 an NSX filter?

How did I miss the part number thread? I asked because I have an NSX filter at home and I can't imagine the Legend has a smaller filter.

[This message has been edited by rcarlos (edited 06 April 2002).]

Originally posted by rcarlos:
Is part number 154000-PL2-004 an NSX filter?

No, part number 15400-PL2-004 is the NSX filter.
wink.gif

I have an NSX filter at home and I can't imagine the Legend has a smaller filter.

Quoting from the FAQ:

"The oil filters for the 1990 Legend and the NSX were the same. Then, Acura changed the Legend oil filter to a smaller size. As I recall this was around June of 1995. The price of the NSX oil filter also increased in price, while the 'new' Legend filter decreased in price. 15400-PL2-004 is the part number for the NSX filter."

I generally don't take personal offense to things said here, but this time I'll make an exception.

…most importantly, I was replying to those who were searching for a source, and not to question the senility of profit structures…

Perhaps I’m senile, because I have no idea what that means. Geez ... get a dictionary Slingshot.

O yee of little faith and no facts ...
whatever...
… It is the challenges received on threads like these that discourages members to want to reply with helpful information to posts.

On the contrary, I was doing my sincere best to further that cause by pointing out extremely relevant facts that an intelligent person could interpret as sufficient reason to question your claims, which, in the best interest of the community should not be considered as facts until examined and confirmed. Read my post again. Regardless of the final outcome, my logic and reasoning are sound. Keep in mind that you had only described the new filters as matching in terms of color and size, not exact part number. News flash, Honda likes blue filters, and that they were also the same size is far from proof of the exact same part. Perhaps you missed some of the other posts that suggest there is a difference in the actual element and pressure relief valve. Maybe there is, maybe not, but that’s not the issue at this moment. BTW, my tone in that post, if a bit testy, was purely an attempt to echo your tone as you responded to one of our most knowledgeable vendors.

Geez ... get a life sjs

You sound more like a troll with every word. You may be right about the filters or you may be wrong, and I'm perfectly happy either way because in the one case we really can get the very same filters for much less, or , in the other you will look like a complete jackass. Works for me!

The funny thing is, short of blowing the filter seal as I did years ago with a Fram on my 510, or other actual filter failure, I’m not all that worked up about filter element quality. I buy the OEM ones because it’s silly not to, not out of any great dread of what might happen of I didn’t.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 07 April 2002).]

Has anyone else ordered these? If not, I will gladly do so. If in fact they arrive with the correct part numbers, I will then dissect one of those plus one I have on the shelf to see if they appear identical inside. That way we may be able to confirm this relatively silly and insignificant issue. (I mean really, who gives a crap about a few bucks per damn filter?)

Great site. I pull up the filters and click the Add to Basket button. It blinks, and up above it now says "Quantity in Basket: 1" Since that's all I want I click the Checkout link and I am rewarded with a new page that says simply "Your shopping basket is currently empty." I close that and try the Shopping Cart link, which takes me to a new page that says simply "Your shopping basket is currently empty." . Hmmm... Then why does it show "Quantity in Basket: 1" on the order page? Never mind, I close the browser entirely then come back and start over. Same results.

I'd like to get a life, I really would, but I seem to spend most of it dealing with lousy businesses, incompetent employees, and these days the new favorite, piss poor web sites.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 07 April 2002).]

Back