• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Oil Pan Baffle

So my wife had to work this Saturday and I had an entire day free to do what I wanted. I had another junk oil pan and a 20 x 14" piece of sheet metal so I figured this is a perfect opportunity to extend my oil capacity in my oil pan and make a baffle to ensure oil stays at the pickup during AutoX and Track Days.

So I woke up early and went to town dropping the Rear Front Beam, and Rod A and Center Rod w/transmission linkage to make removing the front stock exhaust manifold easier. The use of my air ratchet really made this a breeze especially with all the oil pan bolts.

Once I had the oil pan free I cleaned it thoroughly with brake cleaner and then made a mock up of the oil pan baffle out of cardboard. I then transposed the cardboard to the sheet metal and then cut additional pieces to form a ring around the pickup.

I then went to my Lincoln MIG welder and started tacking in the baffle and then my welder died :mad:. Good thing my buddy lives only 20 min away and has a welder so I rang him up and went to his place and finished the welding there.

I returned home to test fit and was happy after one final cut and then I sanded the pan down and painted it with high temp ceramic paint. Purple for the outside and metallic silver on the inside.

After several hours I mounted the oil pan and put the rear end back together. Because the welder died on me I did not spend the extra time to extend the oil pan capacity as I had originally planned, but I'll have to take the oil pan back off to put in AN10 fittings for my turbo build so I'll wait till then.

So what did you guys do this weekend?

Attachments

• DSC07589.jpg
    DSC07589.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC07590.jpg
    DSC07590.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC07591.jpg
    DSC07591.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC07592.jpg
    DSC07592.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC07593.jpg
    DSC07593.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC07594.jpg
    DSC07594.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 141
I am a little concerned at how much spatter is on the inside of the pan, any one of those little pieces come off and you could have a problem.

Last edited:
I am a little concerned at how much spatter is on the inside of the pan, any one of those little pieces come off and you could have a problem.

I agree.

Wire brush on a angle grinder is good for removing them but will most likely toss it across the shop when you catch an edge.

Brazing or Tig may be a better choice?

I agree and I will be dropping the pan to fix it along with extending the capacity after my welder is fixed.

I was in a rush and only did a wire brush over everything no grinding so I felt ok with it for the moment. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

That is what the sump screen and oil filter are for. :)

Back