• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OK, fess up! Who ran their NSX off the road in Cali?

Wow does that suck! The day I purchased mine on the 2 hour drive home it poured so bad it was hard to see and all I was thinking was I hope the rear end doesn't come around on me. Luckily I made it back without any close calls. This guy sure is lucky to have been able to avoid that concrete pillar. P.S. That wing is hideous.

extra cautious when its raining, space between cars in front and behind me get large, stay on the slow lane, etc.

Obvious when he changed lanes he gunned it, thus slippage, not hard to do, especially on low thread tires. I realize its not cheap to replace tires when the times come, this isnt one of those cars to learn that lesson on. Glad no one was hurt

Apparently TCS button was pushed off. Otherwise I think this likely would'nt have happened.

Not true. When the tires on an NSX get low on tread (especially the rears), the car becomes VERY tail happy, and could very easily fishtail and fly off of the road.

Not true. When the tires on an NSX get low on tread (especially the rears), the car becomes VERY tail happy, and could very easily fishtail and fly off of the road.
+1 to that, but i do think tcs was off.

I've driven plenty of times in torrential downpours with "bald" Ra1's......max speed 50mph..its all about feel,awareness,inputs....track driving and hpde do make a difference to improve our street driving.

bald tires, the economy is bad but man buy new tires for your NSX save a buck now lose a car tomorrow.

his own fault, now to the people saying how do you know his tires were bald. give me a break look at the video and that huge spoiler on the back is a dead giveaway.

spoiler is more important that new tires or or oil changes and timing belts

The huge spoiler has nothing to do with bald tires or an accident in the rain.

If you look at the way he was driving, it was safe and slow given the conditions. He just happened to lose control for whatever reason. If it was due to bald tires, then that's unfortunate.

Due to the negative camber on the NSX, it is very easy to miss bald spots on your tires. Even if you meticulously check your tire tread, you can miss those spots since you would have to get down behind the car and inspect the inner tread which is not readily visible. To do a full inspection, you would need to remove each wheel, and we all know we don't do that.

It was an accident in the rain, and you are blaming the guy as if he was street racing. I'm not a fan of the wing either, but that doesn't mean the owner is to blame.

I've certainly had my back end go out on me for a fraction of a second, and I found that those hidden bald spots were to blame despite the fact that I kept an eye on tire tread (hell, it was something like 80%+ on the outside). It's easy to condescend until it happens to you. I happened to be lucky that it was completely dry (I never drive in the rain) and I maintained control.

Last edited:
although my position may be considered "tough love" unless the tire blew or deflated it was not the tires fault..Whenever you drive a vehicle you need to test the conditions,in little increments,feel what your limits are and dial it back..I stare at the road ahead in rain to scan for standing water ect and adjust accordingly.I have been fooled with black ice..but in Socal not an issue.

Off camber turn, polished concrete..... it happens fast. :redface:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g_UmIBG2jdo?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Last edited:
I think he just lost control. I have had this happen to me once with my first nsx. I was turning in the rain and going about 15 mph and my car just did a 180 on me as I turned left. Could be he hit a little oil. With me no one was on the street so it was just me so nothing happened.

Reminds me of the ADVANCED driving skills I displayed heading out to NSXPO this year on some seriously thin tread when Pam and I got caught in a deluge near Lincoln Nebraska. Luckily I'm always 'on' when driving and caught about 4 of those out of shape moments before we pulled it over and spent the night to wait out the water. My situation could have ended badly...looks like he came out OK, but like PD Cunningham told me one time...smooth on and smooth off both pedals.

Back