• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Okay, So I Was a Mistake to Sell...

What tweaks and advancements?

upgrading to 3.2 liters with a weaker block for FI applications?

Headers? pretty weak upgrade

6 speed tranny? again - weaker than the 5 speed

and over the year, change the exhaust soo many times that I had to drive my NSX to STMPO to have them redo the exhaust with my actual car there.

The exhaust tweeaks were the dumbest efforts to add to the growing production costs. Sounds like someone at Honda was trying to keep their job there by week tweaks...

Beyond the increased engine displacement, headers, six speed transmission, etc. the later NSX coupes had a more rigid chassis than the early coupes - Honda installed some of the NSX-T chassis reinforcements. To make up for the weight those components added, Honda used thinner exterior panels, an aluminium rear bumper beam, a lighter ABS system, etc.

All in all, Honda said a base coupe weighed 10 kg less in 2002 than it did in 1991 (1340 kg vs. 1350 kg) despite having a stiffer chassis, larger wheels and tires, larger brakes, a six speed transmission, passenger-side airbag, etc.

Have a look here (http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t7.html) and here (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?282-Is-stiffer-better-01).

Honda said that from 1997 onwards, the body panels were lighter but not any weaker. To quote them: “key body parts are now made with a newly developed 6000 series aluminum alloy that is up to 50 percent stronger, thus requiring less material to perform effectively. This thinner, lighter-weight new material is used in making the doors, fenders, and front and rear deck lids, among other key parts of the NSX. For example, by using this high-strength alloy, thinner doorskin material netted a 2.2 kg (4.9 lbs.) weight reduction without any sacrifice in strength.”

I can’t remember whether Honda made a statement about the strength of the aluminium rear bumper beam but I installed one of those in my ’91 for the weight savings.

Well said Greenberet.

What tweaks and advancements?

upgrading to 3.2 liters with a weaker block for FI applications?

Headers? pretty weak upgrade

6 speed tranny? again - weaker than the 5 speed

and over the year, change the exhaust soo many times that I had to drive my NSX to STMPO to have them redo the exhaust with my actual car there.

The exhaust tweeaks were the dumbest efforts to add to the growing production costs. Sounds like someone at Honda was trying to keep their job there by week tweaks...

So I am curious Bat, How is the 6 speed weaker than the 5 speed? Are you referring to the single disc clutch vs. the double disc?

So when I my project to double the power of the NSX with the SOS SC and other mods I looked into "upgrading" the tranny. I was told by reps at guys that track their boosted NSX, DA and SOS that the 6 speed tranny is not as strong as the 5 speed since the gears in the 6 speed are smaller to fit that extra gear in essentially the same tranny case size.

The single disc does indeed hold more TQ than the double disc.

- - - Updated - - -

It's amazing that someone would ignore the facts from the manufacture, by making this statement....I guess that everyone is entitled to an opinion

Bram

When I was at STMPO I was given an oppty to buy an aluminum rear beam that was sitting around.

I passed on it. It's part of a safety device and if aluminum is so great, why aren't katanas, rifle barrels, etc. made from it?

Dude, the OEM aluminum rear bumper beams installed in later NSXs are webbed internally. I doubt those are any weaker than the earlier steel beams - just lighter and more expensive to manufacture. Like the rest of an NSX’s chassis.

Ferris Bueller, "Your my hero" can you adopt me ? I am jealous but Happy for you, sounds like you are A CAR LOVER..........Congrats, good luck with finding another NSX.......

Last edited:
View attachment 109560

Thread highjack for BBS RGR wheels. :biggrin: And a little bit of IOP on the left there...

Good luck in your search AHudson.

Thanks for that! (I must've been asleep for a few days missing these awesome responses.) I want the blue car. Can we just go ahead and put me out of my misery? Terrific looking car, and wheels, even though I'm devoutly a 'stock look' kind of owner.

^^^ Looks good Alum04org but obviously not for sale.

Batmans - Of course there are many other NSXs that can be purchased but it is not easy finding that rare pearl in perfect condition - especially with the classic popup style in the later models.

AHudson - Here is a perfect example if you want to go with the classic look and in the much sought after 2000/01 years, assuming you are willing to spend some money: http://evantageone.com/nsx/

I have no connection to the seller but figure this would cure your "blues". Plus it would be interesting to see if the buyer would actually part with it for the $70K asking price. Some have suggested before that the seller (tabasco here on Prime) is really not ready to let her go - even for that price.

Thank you sending that. Dealers say that blue is a disaster to resell, but I'm in the group that likes it. $70k is reaching the nosebleed section, but hard to shop a 12k mile car. I'm under $50k for what I think of as "low" but not absurdly low miles. (If Tabasco suffers instant loss of sanity and will accept that, I can be to wherever he is by noon tomorrow.) Yes, my target may be difficult, but having done this for a while, it is the pursuit that makes the acquisition all the sweeter.

Ferris Bueller, "Your my hero" can you adopt me ? I am jealous but Happy for you, sounds like you are A CAR LOVER..........Congrats, good luck with finding another NSX.......

Ha! Thanks man, if this is for me. You may want to ask my children if they'd swap with you! (Sort of like a PPI to rule out dysfunctional families!) I am a car lover. Last night, while it VERY unusually decided to snow in Alabama, I sat in front of the fire, watching Top Gear, polishing the distributor of the 3.2 Carrera. (Lord knows I better not touch anything inside it!)

Thanks to those helping me look. Have gotten some great PMs, thanks all.

Last edited:
i would buy an NSX in the best condition for the $$. what year not that important really. they are all basically the same. whatever color you find you will eventually grow fond of.
would you love your wife any less if she changed her hair color? if you want to be really selective, be really selective with your mechanic. that is going to be more important.
my 2 cents.

i would buy an NSX in the best condition for the $$. what year not that important really. they are all basically the same. whatever color you find you will eventually grow fond of.
would you love your wife any less if she changed her hair color? if you want to be really selective, be really selective with your mechanic. that is going to be more important.
my 2 cents.

Thanks for that. Good advice. I tend to go for the 'later' models, just because it seems they're the most refined, improved. Of course there are exceptions in the ranks. I have gotten a couple PMs on some 'open headlight' cars, to which I am getting more open, but all in all, the right car and I will find each other!

All I can say is THANKS Adams!
In a land of impossibly impractical cars, the Ford GT is a real contender.

Dumbest door design this side of a screen-doored submarine. Good luck re entering should you forget other humans may park within 4 feet.

I also drove mine, and since it has been known to rain in Alabama, opening said idiotic door means you get to see how fast you can exit, all the while avoiding decapitation.

This, coupled with a trunk that will fit one sock but not a pair greatly limits it's use as an actual car.

I did LOVE the looks, power and good ol' Americana, but in the end I decided I'd rather have more usable equipment.

Long live the NSX.

All I can say is THANKS Adams!

Ha! You're welcome! The two happiest thing about having owned a Ford GT are a) having the experience and b) that the new owner loves it! So, your joy helps make mine. That's the super-fun aspect of this hobby/passion. If I still had it, we'd have not met and you might've landed a car that made you less happy.

And I bet your wife enjoys having a car where she HAS to shop for clothes at the destination!

Glad you're still enjoying the car. PM or call me on how you, the GT and the NSX are coming along.

Back