• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Old/Classic Body Styling Vs. Modern Body Styling

So I've been thinking about this for a while.

I guess it goes for most automotive manufacturers, but is there a main reason why most modern cars are bigger and bulkier? Especially the overall height of the vehicle.

For instance:

280Z and 350Z/370Z

R32 GTR and the GTR (R35)

1st Gen NSX and 2nd Gen NSX

3rd Gen Camaro and 5th Gen Camaro

FB RX-7 and RX-8

Perhaps the automotive manufacturers have to make the car bigger by law or for crash/safety regulations?

Thanks in advance.

Ever present desire and demand to provide "more" for the customer. And crash regs.

9413516868_cebf4a569f_o.jpg

I think it's all crash/safety regulations.
I would bet also adding weight to the car allows manufactures to pump up horsepower numbers without the insurance companies getting upset.
More horsepower is also good marketing, while people not killing themselves keeps the customer coming back.

I weighed my 66 mustang and it came in at 2800lbs if I remember right.
That's with a heavy iron V8 and an extremely heavy iron 4-speed.

A 2013 Mustang GT is 3,500lbs!

Last edited:

Thanks for that link detailing the 0.8"/20mm requirement. Frankly, I'm quite shocked how little that number is - I expected it to be much larger, as I assumed that to be the primary reason for the GenII NSX nose to be so tall/square and not very svelte as well as the reason for all the battering-ram-esque taller front fascias of recent bmw's, Merc's and Nissan's to name a few. The 458 did a great packaging job to meet these req's, to say the least! Thx for that link again.

Also if you want to possibly giggle about design/size direction - pay close attention the next time a Camaro or Challenger passes you - compare it to any nearby SUV. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me the first time I saw a Challenger pass me and then also a 4 door 90's Ford Explorer. The explorer looked like someone had shrunk it!

Also if you want to possibly giggle about design/size direction - pay close attention the next time a Camaro or Challenger passes you - compare it to any nearby SUV. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me the first time I saw a Challenger pass me and then also a 4 door 90's Ford Explorer. The explorer looked like someone had shrunk it!

My car behind a new Camaro.
This is why new cars need so much horsepower.

attachment.php

Last edited:
This is why I wish Detroit would stop with the retro pony car crap. The Camaro and Challenger especially look like bloated cartoon versions of the original cars. They remind me of overinflated beach toys.

So I've been thinking about this for a while.
...........1st Gen NSX and 2nd Gen NSX..............

According to stats published early on, the 2nd gen NSX is actually 0.5" lower. The wipe feature on this site lets you do a quick comparison of the two and the lines are remarkably similar. http://nsx.honda.com.au/ It's shorter behind the back tires and the windshield is a bit further forward but the silhouette is close. I see your point though- visually, it does seem bulkier.

My car behind a new Camaro.
This is why new cars need so much horsepower.

attachment.php

I was um "dating" a girl who had a new Camaro SS, and her two door "sports" car made my fill size Subaru wagon (08 Outback XT) look very tiny in comparison. The Camaro was much much bigger. ...as was she.

According to stats published early on, the 2nd gen NSX is actually 0.5" lower. The wipe feature on this site lets you do a quick comparison of the two and the lines are remarkably similar. http://nsx.honda.com.au/ It's shorter behind the back tires and the windshield is a bit further forward but the silhouette is close. I see your point though- visually, it does seem bulkier.

Yes it seems bulkier. It does't not have those razor sharp lines like the 1st gen has. From the swipe feature, it looks like the roof line is a tad bit higher.

It is a bit shorter, so that makes it look a bit bulkier. That and the flying buttresses. The roofline is not higher. The comparison on that website is not perfectly aligned, which you can see when comparing the position of the tires.

Back