• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions, advice on Red/Black 1991 at Specialty Sales in NorCal?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2877099498.html

VIN: JH4NA1153MT000130

Hi guys, first post here. Wondering if anyone knows this red 1991 for sale at Specialty Sales in Pleasanton, CA (link above). I drove it last weekend (my first drive in an nsx) and had the impressions listed below. I'm new to nsx's but not sports cars (m3's, 911s). In sum, I enjoyed driving the car but was let down by the appearance. It has me debating what it is I plan to do with the car. At first I thought I wasn't that worried about the appearance, my initial plan had been just for a fun weekend canyon carver to give my c63 amg daily driver a break. But the interior is embarassingly bad. Anyway, the impressions:

-Aesthetically the car was a letdown from the pics. The exterior isn't that bad except the car was obviously let to sit out in the sun for a while. Faded/peeling clear coat on black rooftop (only), generally the red paint was ok but seemed a little bit thin/flat in areas.

-Interior is bad, rough seats and ugly bubbling grey shiny plastic trim pieces. Again just generally dry lookng, like it had sat outside.

-High-pitched whine from the engine beginning in low rpm and fading/blending into the normal (beautiful) engine noise after that (3-4k rpm). Not sure if normal or a concern.

-When they started it the kid (literally like 16 yrs old...!?) had to gas it to keep it from stalling. Idle/cold start problem?

-Car is extremely low on modified suspension (apparently dropped 3 inches). Surprisingly not bad as far as rattles, interior noises. Awesome look though. I would raise back up a bit, if not to stock.

-Clutch shot, slips badly.

-Apparently in need of 60k service.

-Steering heavier than expected, and generally less "nimble" feeling than expected (compared to an e36 m3, for example, which ironically is a little heavier of a car). Didn't really get to push hard though, sort of just around town.

All in all I think this one needs more maintenance than I want to do right away. I think would pay like low 20's but not the 26.9 they are asking. I know somebody before me offered something and the owner (its on consignment) countered with something (presumably below asking).

I know that's a lot of rambling but hoping it provokes some response. Thanks for any input.

Kevin

Last edited:
That add alone was odd to me. It says under features: Looks great with red interior (??)

Sorry, does it actually have a red interior?

Also, from the sounds of your test drive something is not right with the car. Was the whine you described coming from the engine or the transmission?

I wouldn't so much as make an offer without having the car inspected by someone who knows the NSX well. Going off of my previous experiences I wouldn't be surprised to find out the car is going to need 10k+ in deferred maintenance.

Also it is missing the front lip, maybe it was removed when the car was lowered, or maybe it was ripped off.

I would walk away, there's a nice one for sale in yuba city, 91 with 91k for very fair price

+1, (insert Monty Python reference) RUN AWAY! Just to get this car up to par on deferred maint. will run 5-6k, not to mention whatever else it needs to fix the mystery sound, bogging engine and cosmetics. Like Carter's 1st search, the tally could get close to the 10k mark. It sounds as if the owner is unrealistic in their asking price. IMO, 20k sounds more realistic if everything else in the PPI and carfax checks out. Not many people here find the perfect one (for them) on the first go-round. Upon starting, a well maintained engine will idle for a couple of minutes around 1k rpm and then settle down to 6-700 rpm and purr like a kitten. As far as the steering feel goes, that is one of the best things about the early coupes in most people's opinions. At higher speeds it provides superb road feedback and lightens up considerably. I had considered an E30 myself, but I was sold after properly experiencing the NSX. Hope this helps.

Wow thanks guys. So this one has some issues, as I suspected. I will most likely pass.

Remember that specialty sales is a consignment dealer so you can offer whatever you want, they will then relay it back to the owner and then go from there. I just purchased a car off these guys last month and they will really work with you to get the deal that works for you.

From everything stated I would say this is a 21k'ish car

I exchanged emails with the owner of this vehicle, some months ago, before he turned the car over to consignment. I got the impression he wasn't going to budge on the price of the car. Not saying it's not worth a try.

Yeah, I should have added that "most likely pass" includes the possibility of trying to get it cheaply enough to make sense after doing the needed maintenance. I would definitely do the PPI with the local Acura dealer as described in the other thread.

After all, the interior doesn't really worry me too much as it wasn't going to be a nice DD anyway, have the c63 for that. Would probably go recaro's and a nonairbag wheel right away anyway.

Yeah, I should have added that "most likely pass" includes the possibility of trying to get it cheaply enough to make sense after doing the needed maintenance. I would definitely do the PPI with the local Acura dealer as described in the other thread.

After all, the interior doesn't really worry me too much as it wasn't going to be a nice DD anyway, have the c63 for that. Would probably go recaro's and a nonairbag wheel right away anyway.

If you're semi serious then drop the $200 on a PPI, obviously Acura is going to find stuff... use those findings to get the price of the car down.

Interesting...Ad has now been deleted.

That car is a piece of shit. I was there 3 weeks ago and took it for a drive and the engine was ticking. Like you said, the interior is shot and the roof is oxidize. The bumper is also repainted, and by looking at the steering wheel, the car is daily driver. Thats why i didn't even make an offer. LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Back