• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions wanted - E39 540i Sport

I have test driven them a couple of times. I really liked it. Lots of fun. I drove both manual and auto. I think I would go with the Auto though. I just don't want to shift a sedan. Anyway, great power, tight steering, good brakes. Can't go too wrong with this one.

Ah ok. I didnt knew the 540i shifter is called Sport.

I own a 99 540iA Touring. Its a 5 gear automatic. The engine is awesome the first V8 I own. BMW is famous for its great V6.. the V8 performs even better then the 6. The sound is great, always puts a smile on my face. Its fun to drive around and to know you could eat a Porsche Boxster with your pampersbomber. The car is heavy (touring) but handles very well. I got the M-suspension, awesome roadability but soft enough to drive long distances.
Its a V8 so you can listen to the gas gurgle trough the engine while standing at the stoplight. It currently uses 14litre/100kilometer mixed. (City/Autobahn)
Breaks are great but you can feel that the car is heavy.
I got the MK2 navigation system, its ok but not that accurate, even crashes sometimes and if you took the wrong way it'll just go on strike.
Sound system is great but I barely use it. Comfort in the front row is excellent, back seats .. well .. its a BMW you already know the back seats aren't made for people >1,70.

The car only got 50 xxx kilometers on it so I dont realy know anything about reliability. Serviced it 2 times. No problems so far. Only the slow nav is annoying.

Don't know what to describe further. If you got any questions feel free to ask me.

Back