• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Orientation of front bumper plate seal?

I'm replacing the "front bumper plate seal" (part #71152-SL0-010 , #14 on the parts diagram for the front bumper) on my 97.

The rubber seal has a raised flange along the entire length of its upper surface but I'm not sure whether that goes toward the back or the front.

The old one was installed with the flange toward the back, but it seems like it should go toward the front, so that it sticks up a bit between the hood and front bumper face when the hood is closed (ultimately flush with both hood and face).

It will fit in either way, so unfortunately for me, this part is not idiot proof.

Much appreciate any help here.

OK I guess I answered my question.

The raised flange/ridge does go toward the back, as it was on the original.

When I put it toward the front, it stuck up too far between the hood edge and the front bumper plate/air dam. So it looks like the function of the raised ridge is to form a tight water seal against the bottom of the hood edge and not, as I thought, to go between hood and bumper plate.

The seal went in fairly easily. I put the front edge in first, then pushed in the back edge with a flat-edged nylon upholstery tool. I noticed, too late, that you can also get it in by pushing down on the low portion of the surface (just behind the raised ridge) with your fingers in just the right way.

Back