• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Original NSX design Stolen ????

Honda exterior design always resemble something else on the market.
New Accord, being as nice as it is, is really a 5 series copy... Yeap, they still doing that nowadays...

Correct me If I'm wrong, isn't there a Renault concept car that's 90% resembled to our beloved nsx?? anyone has a picture?

It's actually true. Honda stole the NSX design from the Z32 the same way they stole the Element design from the new GTR.

I would have to humbly disagree. Honda was working on the NSX in mid 80's the Z32 prototype Mule according to the long catalog I have is dated for 1988. Honda HPX was designed by Pininfarina in 1984 which got the ball rolling as far as the stlying was concerned for the NSX and even the 930 Slantnose/944 were cars I am positive played a role. The NSX IMO looks more like a narrow F40 flatened out, not other car looks like it.

The Z32 was actually based on the Porsche 944 Turbo, Corvette and Ferrari all in one. There is not much from nissan there except molding-burrowing all the cars architectural design.

http://www.pininfarina.com/index/st...esc&sl=0&ids=499d2ca7b3dc885c6b87b282907559cb

Attachments

• HondaHPX.JPG
    HondaHPX.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 621
Does this mean I have to go buy a fake ROLEX now???

I would have to humbly disagree. Honda was working on the NSX in mid 80's the Z32 prototype Mule according to the long catalog I have is dated for 1988. Honda HPX was designed by Pininfarina in 1984 which got the ball rolling as far as the stlying was concerned for the NSX and even the 930 Slantnose/944 were cars I am positive played a role. The NSX IMO looks more like a narrow F40 flatened out, not other car looks like it.

The Z32 was actually based on the Porsche 944 Turbo, Corvette and Ferrari all in one. There is not much from nissan there except molding-burrowing all the cars architectural design.

http://www.pininfarina.com/index/st...esc&sl=0&ids=499d2ca7b3dc885c6b87b282907559cb

I beg to differ the Mid-4 "test mule" was made in 1985. I am pretty sure there were at least two. It was designed for the, then under development, VG30DE DOHC generation of the venerable VG line, as well as the ATTESSA ETS system that is used in AWD Skyline GT-R... that's right it had AWD. It was also later fitted with the VG30DETT turbo variant (although with obviously different exhaust and intake plumbing) and ever rumored to be a test bed for the VH45DE V8 that came with US Q45s! Now THAT would have been a beast of a car.

I have never heard why they didn't market this particular chassis, rather than just using it as a test bed for some engines and an electronic AWD system, nor do I know why the NSX got away with being THAT similar, especially on the front. I guess you can't patent a top secret car :biggrin:

That car is currently located in Autech's warehouse in Japan, and from what I have hear, it should have been destroyed alone with a bunch of other prototypes, race cars, and one-off modifications (there are ever weird S14 Silvia mules modified to hold different engines etc)... but I am glad they avoided the crusher.

No disrespect to NSX, I am still a fan, but I have long been a Nissan fan too so I wanted to share my $0.02.

BTW there were two mid-4 prototypes, one older and looking more early 80's, and the newer rounder one you see in this thread. You can see them both here http://grandjdm.com/2007/11/22/mid4-nissan-makes-a-ferrari-wellalmost/

And here is a link to Autech's warehouse photo shoot (I forget who visited the warehouse and took these pics, sorry). This is not 56k friendly when the link is up. http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=general&msg_id=2079707

I beg to differ the Mid-4 "test mule" was made in 1985.

Yes, it was. The original Mid4 design was shown in 1985, but that one doesn't much look like the NSX. The one that looks like the NSX front was shown in 1987 and is called the Mid4 II.

Similar to NSX front:
MID4_7.jpg

Front similar to NSX profile:
MID4_6.jpg

In the end, Honda executed the design far better than Nissan's attempt and we are fortunate to have a car that was penned in the 80's still look as good as it does. Also, the Z32 that Nissan eventually went with is still one of my favorite designs from the 90's.

No disrespect to NSX, I am still a fan, but I have long been a Nissan fan too so I wanted to share my $0.02.

Wow, a man of few words. One post in 2.5 years? :biggrin:

The MID4 was unveil at the Frankfurt autoshow in September, 1985. It monopolized the floow with its full-time 4WD and was one of the first Japanese sports cars to incorporate a midship design.

Technical highlights included a body made entirely of FRP, using a VQ30DE 230ps/28.5kgm six, and incorporated a HICAS (four-wheel) steering similar to that of a Prelude Type-SH.

Source: Response

There's no shame that Nissan was first to produce such a car. And as it still holds true today, Honda packages everything better than Nissan can ever dream of.

66665.jpg

66664.jpg

the Prelude SH doesn't have four wheel steering. I think the older 4th gen. preludes had some kind of 4 wheel steering. The SH has a system called ATTS, which stands for active torque transfer system. Sort of like a variable differential.

In the end, Honda executed the design far better than Nissan's attempt and we are fortunate to have a car that was penned in the 80's still look as good as it does.
Honda's execution wasn't just better than Nissan. Take any of the cars mentioned/pictured in this thread and the NSX looks the least "dated" (most "timeless"). You don't see that degree of differentiation (disruption?) very often.

the Prelude SH doesn't have four wheel steering. I think the older 4th gen. preludes had some kind of 4 wheel steering. The SH has a system called ATTS, which stands for active torque transfer system. Sort of like a variable differential.

You are right, the Super Handling (SH) had ATTS, it was the Honda Prelude 4WS :smile:

Back