• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

overheat at track problems solved with SOS cooling setup

using a SOS monster radiator and a custom DUAL fan setup made by SOS has cured my overheat woes. I was only able to get 5-6 hot laps before being forced to slow way down. I just finiished a full 20m session (maybe 18 laps) with out overheating. Temps 220-230 at the top end.

just an FYI for people with similar issues.

Not the koyo radiator. This was custom made. Not driving ambition. No not vented hood.... that was next.. but now not needed

I have the OEM radiator,ducted hood,sealed undertray and my water temps are 190-210 in the summer here in SOCAL. I did notice after I installed the ducted hood my oil temps came down about 10f and on the cool down lap they cool off very fast.

Thats my biggest bugaboo with my NSX (aside from gearing :[ )

I have the koyounit type R hood, with after scoop and sealed front bay oil coolers, sump etc and I still have to pull it in after about 6 laps when ambient is 78+. Its started to be psychosomatic looking at the gauge more and more as the laps tick by.

Do you know how much the custom fan set up flows over stock? I can't imagine moving 80+ with a full flow though set up that just the fans are going to be my silver bullet. Whats the width on the radiator that you are talking about? The koyo ive got unit is nice pieces and about double thickness over stock.

I have the koyounit type R hood, with after scoop and sealed front bay oil coolers, sump etc and I still have to pull it in after about 6 laps when ambient is 78+. Its started to be psychosomatic looking at the gauge more and more as the laps tick by.

Do you know how much the custom fan set up flows over stock? I can't imagine moving 80+ with a full flow though set up that just the fans are going to be my silver bullet. Whats the width on the radiator that you are talking about? The koyo ive got unit is nice pieces and about double thickness over stock.

Surprised that you are having problems. 1K2GO was driving in 70+ temp, at 5000+ feet altitude with no issues. He has SC, DA radiator, DA oil cooler, vented hood. I had increased temp (slightly over middle line) with DA radiator, vented hood, radiator duct, sealed front bay, Lovefab turbo, 3.5 motor but no oil cooler. Getting oil cooler this year.

Surprised that you are having problems. 1K2GO was driving in 70+ temp, at 5000+ feet altitude with no issues. He has SC, DA radiator, DA oil cooler, vented hood. I had increased temp (slightly over middle line) with DA radiator, vented hood, radiator duct, sealed front bay, Lovefab turbo, 3.5 motor but no oil cooler. Getting oil cooler this year.
What do you mean by sealed front bay?
Any pictures?
I've had overheating issues on my LoveFab NSX with DA racing radiator probably due to the missing ducting.
I've put the ducting back in place but will it be enough?

I would answer your questions if I understood them. If english is a 2nd language i can cut you some slack, but otherwise you might try some proofreading.

As for the fans, they flow 50% greater than stock when combined. I couldn't understand the 2nd part of that paragraph at all regarding the 80+ comment.

Last edited:
Holyhell: wrote that when I had a fever last week, made since to my then...

ill rephrase.

Myself, I have the Koyo radiator unit, type R hood with after scoop and sealed front bay. Also oil coolers, sump etc. Even with all this I still have to pull in after about 6 laps when the ambient temp is upwards of 78.

Its started to be psychosomatic and starts to get in my head the more and more laps tick by.

Do you know how much the custom fan set up flows over stock? I can't imagine that just the fans themselves will help me much. I don't think its a flow issue since when on track i'm already moving at 80+ mph and have a full flow through.

Whats the width and depth of the custom radiator that you are talking about?

when I say 'sealed bay' I mean front radiator ducting and rear ducting and sealed battery tray and splitter

1337618692.jpg

Last edited:
I have posted before (for years) regarding overheating issues particularly at ambient temps above 90F. Going through one modification at a time, and while the effects of each are in the range of about 10F at best, the cumulative effect was really maximized with the custom shrouded dual Spal fan - and you need a 40 amp fuse with that.

Other cooling related mods include: Procar hood with customized DaliRacing air duct for better seal, DF front undertray, original 1998 OEM radiator with 100+ track days, Driving Ambition oil cooler (on side vent), 3 qts oil sump, and RedLine wetter.

Edit: I must also add as this was noted before, shifting at 7000-7200 RPM vs 8000 RPM on every shift makes the most difference.
YMMV.

Last edited:
here's the pics i originally posted in the NSX owners forum. The radiator looks top notch, as does the fan and shroud setup. very nicely done.

Attachments

• radiator1.jpg
    radiator1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 235
  • radiator2.jpg
    radiator2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 235
Fans and shrouds from the back side of a radiator to the fan are only good in stop and go traffic and become a restriction above 45mph in a properly ducted system. You can see big gains by making sure the bumper inlet to radiator face ducting is air tight.

Work on ducting, a thicker rad with more fin and tube count and more passes are all steps in the right direction.

Check out PWR Radiators. They are the best in the businesses

Back