• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paint Protection Film

I plan to protect the paint of my pre-owned Kaiser Silver/Black 97 NSX, that I bought in January 02.

I bought an OEM nose mask and mirror covers from Colgan. It looks okay, but without them it looks better, at least to my opinion.

I am thinking about alternative protection, i.e., Scotchal Paint Protection Film by 3M, that other members talked about a few years ago. I received from 3M (http://products.mmm.com/us/auto_marine_aero/products/) information about how to apply it and the available sizes, i.e., 12 and 6 mil thick without adhesive and 15 and 9 mil thick with adhesive.

Festival, I do not think I would be able to apply it myself decently. So please does anybody know a good professional in southern California (Riverside area) who has experience with these products?
How much would it cost?
What thickness is recommended?
Which film, with or without adhesive, is recommended?
Are there any pros and cons associated to the material thickness as well as to the “with or without adhesive?”

Are there any pros and cons in general related to this product?
One obvious advantage, compare to the nose mask, is that this product can be applied almost on every part of the car exterior surface, i.e., rocker panel, entire hood, rear fender behind the rear wheels, etc. However, will it effect the shade of the car paint? If so, after how long?
What will happen if you wash your car? Do you wash on top of it?
What will happen if you need to detail the car? Do you have to peal it and reapply it afterward? Do you have to apply the new film or can you reuse the existing one? Or … it just likes the tinted window? You just wash on top of it and basically you do not need to treat the window glass itself after the window has been tinted. However, a glass is not the same as a painted surface. For that matter, you do not need to detail the surface of a glass.

Are there any other products by other manufacturers available? Which one is better? Why?

Someone told me; since my car is not new, it has rock chips. Regardless their sizes if the film covers these chips, air will be trapped. When the temperature rises, i.e., in the summer, the entrapped air will expand and you will see bubbles at the places where it occurs. Is this true? So, if that is true, then this Paint Protection Film is good only for a brand new car or brand new repainted car that does not have any chip at all.

Please share with me any experience associated with this type of product. Thanks!

Can't say enough about the Scotchcal product. I have had it on my 91 silver X for over 2 yrs. No visable wear or discolorization. Have it professionally installed because it is difficult to apply. Looks transparent especially on Sebring silver. Email; [email protected]

Thank you for your information. I have additional questions. Which part of your cars are protected by the film?
How was the painted surface condition prior to the film's application? Was it smooth as it was newly painted? Or were there some rock chips? If so, do you have air bubbles at the rock chip locations? Did you have the painted surface prepared, i.e., professionally detailed, prior to the film's application?

Originally posted by Bucky:
Can't say enough about the Scotchcal product. I have had it on my 91 silver X for over 2 yrs. No visable wear or discolorization. Have it professionally installed because it is difficult to apply. Looks transparent especially on Sebring silver. Email; [email protected]

Iris,

Currently, I have the full kit from STONGARD. http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/default.asp . This site will answer all your questions. You can also search for the local dealer in your area.

My local installer performs all the work for Porsche, MB, and other high end marks. Since the track will ruin a black car's fronted, this is a necessity for all even if you do not track your car, there are rocks from trucks and other cars that will reek havek on your paint.

Hope that helps.

-Nader

Originally posted by Prancing Horse:
the track will ruin a black car's fronted

Why is a black car any different from any other color car (aside from HIDING the black marks that accumulate at the track from chunks of rubber getting kicked up)?

Why is a black car any different from any other color car (aside from HIDING the black marks that accumulate at the track from chunks of rubber getting kicked up)?

Do I really need to go into detail as to why black shows chips, swirls, and other imperfections more so then other colors, say white?
smile.gif
I was simply implying that using a plastic film especially on a black car will save prevent all the *noticeable* chips and pits then of another black car that had no protection.

Color makes no difference. The fact remains that whatever the color, preventing road debris with some sort of plastic film is a wise investment decision.

Thanks,

-Nader

P.S. I have no affiliation with 3M or Stongard for that matter.

I put a "protectant" product already mentioned in this thread on the lights of my S2000. Within 2 months the lights were ruined. The makers of this product and its local reps refused to stand behind it and wouldn't replace them (about $1000 retail)despite the "guarantee" that comes with this product. I wouldn't touch any of these products with a ten foot pole.

In addition:

A class action suit is pending by Audi owners against this same product for discoloring paint permanently. (this is second hand info that I cannot verify)

Everyone I know who has had this product has had problems with peeling, dirt trapping, wrinkles etc. Once paid for and installed, the company refuses to stand by its product.

I have been informed, by this company, that parts on Nissans, Audis and Chevrolet trucks have been damaged.

I have to say DON'T DO IT!!!

Thank you for your comments. Very interesting!

Originally posted by SCS2k:
I put a "protectant" product already mentioned in this thread on the lights of my S2000. Within 2 months the lights were ruined. The makers of this product and its local reps refused to stand behind it and wouldn't replace them (about $1000 retail)despite the "guarantee" that comes with this product. I wouldn't touch any of these products with a ten foot pole.

In addition:

A class action suit is pending by Audi owners against this same product for discoloring paint permanently. (this is second hand info that I cannot verify)

Everyone I know who has had this product has had problems with peeling, dirt trapping, wrinkles etc. Once paid for and installed, the company refuses to stand by its product.

I have been informed, by this company, that parts on Nissans, Audis and Chevrolet trucks have been damaged.

I have to say DON'T DO IT!!!

Nader,

Thanks! I'll check their website

Originally posted by Prancing Horse:
Iris,

Currently, I have the full kit from STONGARD. http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/default.asp . This site will answer all your questions. You can also search for the local dealer in your area.

My local installer performs all the work for Porsche, MB, and other high end marks. Since the track will ruin a black car's fronted, this is a necessity for all even if you do not track your car, there are rocks from trucks and other cars that will reek havek on your paint.

Hope that helps.

-Nader

Back