• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Painted Brake Calipers

I want to save everyone here some $$$$. I like the look of painted calipers. I noticed the local Porscher/Ferrari dealer did it. ( I used to have a porsche and they did it there) Ognor in Souther CA does it, so I went in to ask about doing it on my NSX. I was told they can do it for $1,200. I have no problem spending $ for some Mods on my car, but not $1,200 to paint the calipers. They told me they send the calipers to AZ where they use a special paint that is illeageal in CA due to toxins? They also told me they tried everything else, and ONLY this paint works due to the heat generated from the rotors.

Here is the deal. If you want to paint your calipers, take them off. Remove the seals and keep all ruber parts in brake fluid, due to nobody makes the ruber seals, and was told if they break, toy need to buy new calipers for Major $$$$. POWDER COAT the calipers for $80.00!!! You can see pics of them , 94NSXGUY.

Good Luck

Here is the deal. If you want to paint your calipers, take them off. Remove the seals and keep all ruber parts in brake fluid, due to nobody makes the ruber seals, and was told if they break, toy need to buy new calipers for Major $$$$. POWDER COAT the calipers for $80.00!!! You can see pics of them , 94NSXGUY.

Good Luck[/B]

Uhm... are you referring to the Brembo/Lotus calipers or the stock NSX calipers? When I bought a set of used NSX calipers for my Prelude, I rebuilt them with new boots and seals at about $130.

Vic
'92 Black/Black

I've had mine rebuilt by my dealer.

After melting the piston boots at the track.

I was really cranking it.
biggrin.gif

Had mine painted red with red engine paint. Had them done when i got my brake pads changed. Totall cost 40 bucks plus $4 for the paint. The used their own cleaners to clean off the calipers.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

Just to clarify:

It is true you cannot buy a "rebuild kit" for the calipers on the 91-96 cars, only the 97+ cars have a "rebuild kit". HOWEVER, you can buy all the seals and boots for the earlier cars. They are available. I just spoke with Tracy Townsend at GUNN Acura (1-800-328-4866) The cost for the complete seal set required for my 1991 (4 calipers) would be $189.06.

Some dealers probably just don't want to do this work, would prefer to sell the whole caliper.

HTH,
LarryB

There is a special paint that's just made for brake calipers. It's called Foliatech Caliper Painting Kit and it's available from Ultra Performance in Tucson, Arizona (800.438.5872).

It comes in all different paint colors. You apply the paint by hand. The kit comes with a can of brake cleaner, although you'll probably need to buy extra cans from your local auto parts store.

This product gives a nice thick "powder coat" look to your calipers and it's quite durable.

I would suggest that you jack up all four corners and clean and paint all calipers at the same time.

Nice winter project!

Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

[WARNING: Humor content]

There's information on this in the good ol' FAQ section of this website. However, Lud - rascal that he is - has cleverly concealed it by giving that section a misleading title, "Painting Calipers".
rolleyes.gif
Here's a link so that you can find it easier:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/paintingcalipers.htm

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 December 2000).]

I painted my calipers at home with "caliper" paint. Not Foliatech. I have not noticed any color change, although I painted them black to begin with.
But seriously, the paint is still in great shape even though I literally melted my valve stem caps at my last track event. Really!

The powder costing looks great, no chiping at all. Here was my problem...The Foliatech paint is (FROM WHAT I HEAR) Illegal in CA, due to some toxins in it, and you can get it in AZ, but they wont ship it to CA. This may or may not be true...

I painted mine red myself. Cleaned all parts with brake cleaner--sprayed with primer and then engine paint and then clearcoat. Came out pretty nice and cost me about $20 and one weekend.

I, too, have painted the calipers on my NSX. Scuffed the surface with scotch brite and acetone. Applied several coats of 1300' paint from a hardware store. The paint has small bubbles in a few sections after track events, but has not yet chipped off (after 10000 miles). I performed the same task on my Stealth, and the paint blistered and has chipped in sections.....possibly the calipers sustained higher temps or there could have been an error in technique :)

I painted the calipers on my blk '91. I cleaned them first with brake cleaner and wire brush. applied two coats of high heat white as a base....Then Three or Four coats of high heat yellow followed by several coats of high heat clear. I've since boiled my brake fluid in the canyons (gotta do something about that) and the color is as good as the day I painted. But I have not tracked the car yet.

Back