• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Palomar Mtn. run

We'll run the 74 to the 15 to the 76 (avoiding the 79 and less familiar territory).
Be advised that if there's construction on the 74, you may be delayed SIGNIFICANTLY. On drives earlier in the year, participants taking that route have ended at Lake Henshaw WAY late.

None of us get cellular signal there either, so it will be very difficult to get a hold of anyone to tell us you're running late.

Last edited:
I gotta go pick up my buddy on Alhambra. So I don't have time for a really long trip to the lake. I'll just meet up with Black Racer X (LaMar) and meet you all at the Lake.

I hope that works out.

--David

Mornin' everyone.

I hope everyone is rested up and ready for the drive and sights we'll have today.
I have to apologize in advance being that I was unable to print these maps up. My photo editing app and even MS Paint seem to not work for me. :confused:
I have printed turn by turn directions and seeing that we will all be following each other fairly close as a caravan, there really isn't a way to get lost.
The way up to the top of the mountain from Lake Henshaw is straightforward as there are roadside signs.

Looking forward to drive with all of you.
See you shortly...

Awesome times!

Great cars, people and the weather. Couldn't have had it any better.
Big thanks to all of those who made the trek down to SD County to join us.

I hope everyone enjoyed the run as much as I did. Go ahead and share comments and pictures from the day here. My pictures will be up shortly.

Thanks everyone,
Luis L.

Thank you Luis for setting up the awesome meet.

Thank you LaMar for letting me tag along and drive up to Lake Henshaw with you.

Thank you Fred for showing me directions on how to get down the mountain, although I eventually got lost and went home.

Thank you Albert for your innocent comment "if you think you're lost, you're going the right way..." Well I kept driving and ended up hitting the 15 fwy... Never saw the burger stand.... I think I followed the wrong crowd.

Thank you everyone else who were so friendly to me.

I didn't expect the drive to be so agreesive; I've never done a mountain run before and thought it was about half the speed. But when I lost the cars in front of me. And I had Luis close my tail, I got really paranoid; so I was driving a bit faster than I felt comfortable. I saw my VSA light go on way too much. I knew I was pushing it too much because I couldn't predict my speeds. I found myself on the wrong side of the road at least 3 times, it scared the crap out of me. So I gave up and let you guys pass. I hope I didn't piss anyone off; I'm sorry if I did... but you guys were way too good for me to keep up with.

The second time I got too paranoid was going down hill, I eventually let Sunny passed me; I hope I didn't piss you off Sunny. Sorry Sunny.

In the end; it was a unique experience and I had fun. My friend Tay was also a bit surprised to see everyone driving so agressively. I felt like I was in the movie "The Fast and the Furious." Except, it was real!

--David

Last edited:
Luis,

Thanks from Steve, Patty, and I for setting things up. The timing worked out great and we were very happy to spend a portion of our 325 mile run yesterday with you guys!:smile:

David. There's no need to apologize. Being that this was your first run with us, I should have mentioned that it wouldn't be a cruise. Only part of it is. Sorry if I pushed you or made you uncomfortable. Regardless, I'm glad you made it out.
I have planned a few coastal cruises for Acurazine. I'll invite you out to that. :cool:

Nick. Thanks for joining us down here for a little driving fun. Hopefully we'll have another go sometime soon.

I've got these pics to contribute. Also a short video clip for you guys to watch. All are unedited and from my little point and shoot.
Can't wait to see some real pics!

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

We drove over to Lake Henshaw to take this view in.
IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

Here's a clip of us going towards the top of the mountain.

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

Thanks to all of you who made your way to join us!!
IMG_2193.jpg

^ Great pictures. Yeah it was a good time. I'll probably won't come out to any more runs at least for a while; but that last run will serve as some experience.

--David

David. There's no need to apologize. Being that this was your first run with us, I should have mentioned that it wouldn't be a cruise. Only part of it is. Sorry if I pushed you or made you uncomfortable. Regardless, I'm glad you made it out.
I have planned a few coastal cruises for Acurazine. I'll invite you out to that. :cool:

Nick. Thanks for joining us down here for a little driving fun. Hopefully we'll have another go sometime soon.

Luis,
No need for your apologies either; everyone was going fast, it wasn't just you :smile:

-David

My friends and I had a blast! Thanks to Luis and those who helped put this run together while allowing us to tag along. It's the good people that make the trip memorable, the driving is just a bonus! It was nice to meet everyone.

No need to apologize, David. I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable; I strived to keep at least 4-5 cars distance between us at all times. We have different cars and experience, you're a better driver for knowing and sticking to your limit.

There are sometimes spots for co-pilots so you need not drive to be a part of the group. I hope everyone had a safe weekend and see you next drive!

David,

I will add one comment that I hope you accept in good spirits. The intent is not to criticize but simply to educate.

When you pulled out of the line on the downhill, it appeared as if you were going to try to squeeze back in between the Viper and Patty's S2K. I had the widescreen viewing of this from behind Patty, and saw the activity.

When you pull out/over on a run, for re-entry you should really make sure there is a ton of distance for you to go from zero to cruising speed. A lot of physics happens in those seconds.

The other option is to wait till the pack goes by and get in front of the Sweeper (if there is one) or become the Sweeper yourself if the gang you're driving with isn't too fast for ya.

I'm not lecturing here, I'm just offering advice that I myself received many years ago.

Cheers.

It looked like a lot of fun, I wish I could of went with you guys but I had a bunch of errands to runs on Saturday. It was great to meet you guys, count me in for next time.

Hi,
Thanks for the thoughtful comment. Actually, I thought that all the cars have passed, so what I did was started to move but stop after I saw the other cars coming. I didn't have the luxary of a widescreen viewing. But, nah, I would never try to intentionally squeeze in between you guys.... I wanted/needed/must be last; that's the whole point of pulling over to the side and letting you guys pass

--David

David,

I will add one comment that I hope you accept in good spirits. The intent is not to criticize but simply to educate.

When you pulled out of the line on the downhill, it appeared as if you were going to try to squeeze back in between the Viper and Patty's S2K. I had the widescreen viewing of this from behind Patty, and saw the activity.

When you pull out/over on a run, for re-entry you should really make sure there is a ton of distance for you to go from zero to cruising speed. A lot of physics happens in those seconds.

The other option is to wait till the pack goes by and get in front of the Sweeper (if there is one) or become the Sweeper yourself if the gang you're driving with isn't too fast for ya.

I'm not lecturing here, I'm just offering advice that I myself received many years ago.

Cheers.

Yes,

Thank goodness that video isn't from our run. We had a mishap back in early 2007 on ice that is pictured deep in here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81477

No mishaps of any sort this run thank goodness. Though Patty, Steve and I had a near tragic one on the S16 (Pala-Temecula Rd) when a bus driver decided that he could use both lanes coming the opposite way on a tight curve. I squeezed past, Patty thought that "this was it" and she was going to get crushed by a bus, Steve powered through in a bit of a panic.

We've gotta have a couple more times out before the end of dry weather. What do you guys/girls think?

Does anyone have pics from the last run which they want to share? :redface:

I've done some work to my suspension and would like to test it out today on the Palomoar Mtn roads. Can someone send me a link to an easy to understand Palomar road map?
Thanks,
ryan

Back