• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Passenger window issues

My '91 has a passenger window that's frozen in the up position. The driver's window works but is sluggish. Where should I start? Regulator(s) I assume? Any chance the p.s. motor itself is cooked?

Drivers side, yes it's the regulator. Passenger side.. I've never heard of one COMPLETLY FROZEN unless your window motor went out completly. In that case be happy it happened in the UP position. :smile: Supposedly there is a place in NY that I'm trying to get more info on right now. Window Regulators USA. They rebuild old regulators.... if that's the case I'm sending them BOTH of mine.

I would start at the switch.....from the driver-side switch no less. make sure you are getting power to the passenger switch, but start at the driver-side (if it is not hooked up there---the passenger side won't work)

I just ordered a set of the little aluminum window "thingies" from Dali Racing to replace the stock plastic ones. I figured I'd start there, and lubricate both sides really good. Hopefully this will at least improve my driver's window performance and save that regulator. As for the passenger side I'll check continuity in all the switches before I tear into it.

When those clips fail, you should still hear the motor whirring, right? The passenger side is simply locked. Nothing happens at all when the switch is thrown. The voltmeter doesn't even move.

Great advice, thanks guys.

When those clips fail, you should still hear the motor whirring, right? The passenger side is simply locked. Nothing happens at all when the switch is thrown. The voltmeter doesn't even move.

When the clips fail, the window drops into the door. Did you check the MAIN switch on the driver's side?

When the clips fail, the window drops into the door. Did you check the MAIN switch on the driver's side?

Not yet -- planning on checking switches and wiring this weekend. If I can replace the clip, get 'er greased up real good and replace/repair a busted connection/switch instead of buying a new regulator, I'll be a happy camper.

The place is Mirror Guard and their number is 718-851-0100. I got a regulator for my BMW 740il and got a $50 core return. I have had it almost a year and still does fine.
-Robert

This happened to me. There was no grease at all and the motor couldnt push it any more and it just got stuck. Then a few months later the regulator went out but i got it repaired by http://www.regulatorusa.com and he did a fast job which is mirror guard same as posted above.But now my drivers side switch went out I think. I have to check it.But just check the grease first.

Did you check the MAIN switch on the driver's side?
Not yet -- planning on checking switches and wiring this weekend.
He's not talking about wiring and internals. There is a switch on the driver's door whose purpose is to disable or enable the passenger side window. If it's in the wrong position, that could explain the window switch on that side not working.

I refer to this switch as the "ON-MAIN" switch, which is located on the driver's-side door panel, directly above the power window buttons. Make sure it is set to ON (which allows both windows to roll up and down) and not MAIN (which allows only the main [driver's] window to roll down).

You can see the "ON-MAIN" switch pretty well in this picture. It is located between the power window buttons themselves and the HVAC vent on the door. (It is showing a little bit of red on the side.) Note that in the picture the switch is set in the correct ("On") position to allow both windows to roll down.

I have the exact same problem you have, but unfortunately my problem is not the "on-main" switch. I believe the problem is an internal electrical problem within the actual driver's-side power switch itself. What causes me to believe this was that when it first went out, one day I whacked the driver's side switch area with my hand, and the passenger window rolled down normally. That only worked once. But you might try that - slap the switch area on the driver's side a few times with your hand, then (making sure the "on-main" switch is set to "on") see if the passenger window will roll down. If it works (even once) it is a good bet that the problem is in the driver's side electrical power-window switch iself, or a loose wire that connects to it.

The actual driver's side power window electrical switch is located underneath the buttons, not below as in relative to this picture, but underneath the buttons; the buttons are located on top of the actual electrical switch.

Attachments

• NSXDriver'sSideDoorPanel (Small).JPG
    NSXDriver'sSideDoorPanel (Small).JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Mine had the same problem just fixed it, the contacts werent touching and the contacts were dirty, a little electrical cleaner and some dielectric greese and its working fine again.

Back