• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Passenger window

For the last couple of years the passenger window has only been working sometimes. It works good for a while then suddenly it stops working. It doesn't work from either switch(driver or passenger) were should I start looking.

First check fuse #47 in the fuse relay box under the hood. Then do the motor test in section 23-278 of the service manual. If ok so far then do the switch tests in section 23-275 and 23-276. The service manual can be found in the wiki.

Good luck
Mike

Hi. Yesterday my passenger was able to lower the window but could not make it go up again. Using the driver side switches nothing happens, neither up nor down, only the down on passenger side works. I looked at the fuse panel under hood. Could not see any numbers on there but the two 20 amps fuses relevant to power windows looked fine. When lowering the window no weird noises can be heard. Sounds electrical issue to me... No?
Is removing passenger side inner door now my only option?

Hi. Yesterday my passenger was able to lower the window but could not make it go up again. Using the driver side switches nothing happens, neither up nor down, only the down on passenger side works. I looked at the fuse panel under hood. Could not see any numbers on there but the two 20 amps fuses relevant to power windows looked fine. When lowering the window no weird noises can be heard. Sounds electrical issue to me... No?
Is removing passenger side inner door now my only option?

Hello,
You need to start by checking both the switch on the passenger door and also the driver door switch. Both switches are in series so if one is bad the other one also won't work.

The switch tests are in the
1991 service manual

23-266 Passenger
23-265 Driver

Mike

Hello Mike. Thank you for your help. I pulled the driver side switch thinking its the bad one since it's being used most and also the one which doesn't go neither up or down. But continuity checks per service manual for passenger window up and down checks ok. Anything else I need to check before putting everything back together and moving to the passenger side switch?

If your NSX is a '91-93, and you've never had the window regulators upgraded with the "fix-it thingies", it's possible the clip in the window regulator broke. Read about it at:

Power Windows

If that's what happened, you're probably going to be buying a new regulator for the passenger side.

If the driver side hasn't been upgraded with a fix-it thingie yet, you're going to want to at least get one for that side, to prevent it from happening on that side too. You can buy them here.

Last edited:
If your NSX is a '91-93, and you've never had the window regulators upgraded with the "fix-it thingies", it's possible the clip in the window regulator broke. Read about it at:

Power Windows

If that's what happened, you're probably going to be buying a new regulator for the passenger side.

If the driver side hasn't been upgraded with a fix-it thingie yet, you're going to want to at least get one for that side, to prevent it from happening on that side too. You can buy them here.

Hi Ken
Thanks for your reply. I saw that page but not sure it applies here. B/c no popping sounds and window is securely in place and will go down nicely (when using passenger side switch) but not up with neither...

When those plastic things fail doesn't the window fall down?

If I remember right the previous owner (DONYMO) had replaced those. Maybe he can chime in to confirm... Either way someone has already been in there because I could tell but I'm not able to see well because door panel won't come off its sills (according to manual, remove 7 screws and pull straight up but something on the top prevents it from coming off)

Last edited:
Sorry. I know Don and I'm sure he would have replaced the fix-it thingies. Oh well, at least you can rule that out!

Hello Mike. Thank you for your help. I pulled the driver side switch thinking its the bad one since it's being used most and also the one which doesn't go neither up or down. But continuity checks per service manual for passenger window up and down checks ok. Anything else I need to check before putting everything back together and moving to the passenger side switch?

I would leave the driver switch out until you find the problem just in case it needs to be removed again but it needs to be plugged to the harness. Put some plastic around the switch to keep from scratching the switch panel and move to the other side. If you already put the driver switch back then leave it for now.

If the passenger switch tests good per the service manual then leave it out also because we have a couple more tests to do.

Mike

Last edited:
I would leave the driver switch out until you find the problem just in case it needs to be removed again but it needs to be plugged to the harness. Put some plastic around the switch to keep from scratching the switch panel and move to the other side. If you already put the driver switch back then leave it for now.

If the passenger switch tests good per the service manual then leave it out also because we have a couple more tests to do.

Mike

I finally got around testing the passenger side switch which also tested good. Both door panels are still on vehicle because manual says to "lift off the sill" but something at the window's base is preventing them both to come out and I'm afraid to brake things. Access frombottom of door is not great but acceptable. Now what :-) ?

Ok, you need to access the connector for the window motor. It should be toward the bottom of the door near the front. I believe it is a two wire (blue) connector with the wire colors being blue/white stripe and blue/red stripe. Disconnect the plug and attach a volt meter to the two pins of the harness side, not to the motor side. Either probe can go to either wire and you won't move them during the test. With the ignition switch to on, You want to check for DC voltage while someone operates the drivers side switch for the passenger window. Check voltage while moving the switch to both up and down positions. You should get battery voltage both ways but one way will show positive voltage and the other will show negative voltage (example> +13v/ -13v). Do the same test while moving the passenger switch.

Be very careful not to short the wires together with the voltmeter. If you don't feel comfortable working with voltage, let me know and we can change this test to do it without power.

Mike

Alright. In order to perform next series of tests (thanks Mike!) I had to put switches back. Well guess what? I tried to raise the stubborn window and it now works!?!
No idea what fixed it... Maybe un-plugging and re-plugging did the trick... But what caused the issue in the first place? maybe the fact that the car was parked next to my wife's Jeep prior it started acting up? :biggrin: with electrical problems there is sometimes no telling for sure...
Since I'm already there with half removed trim door panels maybe it's time to fix other issues, like the speakers which quit with no warning 2 years ago. But this is for another thread...
Thanks everyone for your help! :redface:

That's great news! Sounds like it was a bad connection.
Yup. Sometimes there can be a little bit of corrosion inside the connectors, enough to cause a problem; you disconnect and reconnect, and it scrapes off the spot where there was no connection. Glad to hear it's working now!

I had this exact same problem with mine. TOok it apart, cleaned it, tested it, etc, etc. The window would go down 90% of the time, the other 10% not at all. And it would go up 70% of the time. So totally randomly it would not go back up, and sometimes not down. But it would work most of the time.
I tried all the tests the manual said, I bought and installed a new switch (driver side switch was almost new), etc. etc.
I finally gave in and bought a new regulator, but before I installed it, I purchased Hugo's window upgrade kit and installed it on the new regulator..
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148138

So far so good. It's been working for a few weeks without issue, and the upgrade kit makes complete sense for long-term maintenance, the pulley runs so much better than the stock. Hope this helps!

My power window would sometime work and sometime wouldn't. Of course every time I had it in the garage to troubleshoot it would be working. While doing a stereo upgrade and having the door panel off it stopped working. I disconnected the connector at the motor and was getting power on the switch side of the plug when pushing the button. I'm assuming by this that the motor is problem. Is there anything I can do to fix it or do I need to buy a new one.

Back