• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho
  • ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Picking the right swaybar!

Im about to upgrade finally. Dali offers 2 types that have my intrest. The 19mm streetsway and the 22mm track/streetsway. Pricing is the same but I don't want to overkill. Since I don't track I figured someone would chime in that has more experience of what I need. Thank you.

i had the street/track from him and hardly noticed anything in the feel for street but they were better on the track than standard so i would get those, i now have the type Q? and they are very noticeable compared to those way better on the track and tighter on the street so you do notice them

Get the street/track bars and don't actuall install the rears (I.e. keep your OEM rear sway). Dali's bars are adjustable, so you can start out softest and move to a stiffer setting if you want.

jmho

I also have the track front with stock rear and I feel it's a good setup. Goes well with the STMPO front chassis bar if you have that too. This is for the type r balance (tight front end) vs the zanardi balance which used a stiffer rear and was more for autocross than track. I had to cut the battery tray but it took 5 seconds and was so easy to cut.

Leaving the rear allows the rear suspension to flex more and keeps the rear tires firmly planted during weight transfer in corners. I.e., you're allowing some 'slop' in the rear end to keep the tires planted.

Play it loose and get the rear beam bushings and toe links so you can feel it start to go!

Leaving the rear allows the rear suspension to flex more and keeps the rear tires firmly planted during weight transfer in corners. I.e., you're allowing some 'slop' in the rear end to keep the tires planted.

Flex? Slop? Ah, a smaller rear sway or no sway makes the rear suspension more independent in exchange for giving up some roll.

It's really more complicated (springs, damper setting, alignment and driver input as well as sway bar) as what it really comes down to is the end with the larger slip angle in the tire when cornering is going to slide first.

Type R (front) swaybar. Type R uses only a thicker front swaybar (non-adjustable). The rear is the same as for the standard NSX. Feeling is between the street/track version of Dali and OEM and gives you more control over your front wheels (less understeer than the thicker Dali).

Smaller front (thinner or longer tube) swaybar is more oversteer, bigger (thicker) front is more understeer and less body-roll. A thicker front swaybar raises your right wheel more in a right turn and divides the loads more on both front wheels. This gives you more understeer. The left wheel rubber is less planted on to the track (because of the weight transfer to the right wheel) than with a swaybar with more flex.

Last edited:
Type R (front) swaybar. Type R uses only a thicker front swaybar (non-adjustable). The rear is the same as for the standard NSX. Feeling is between the street/track version of Dali and OEM and gives you more control over your front wheels (less understeer than the thicker Dali).

This is what I have on my 1995, the Type R front sway and the OEM rear sway. It's a great true OEM combo. :smile:

If you're just looking for upgraded swaybar for "running around town," get the Type R. If you're looking for serious track swaybars, get Dali track swaybar.

in the nsx there is no real downside to a stiffer front bar,and in fact I don't think the street ride is deleteriously affected iether..so there is really no wrong answer..........

in the nsx there is no real downside to a stiffer front bar,and in fact I don't think the street ride is deleteriously affected iether..so there is really no wrong answer..........

What makes you say that? You are still losing some independence of your suspension, right?

What makes you say that? You are still losing some independence of your suspension, right?

personal experience at many xpos driving other peoples cars...in the end you can mentaly masterbate about all this susp tuning or just drive.....:cool:

There is no difference on the straight. You will notice the difference in turns and put holes :biggrin:

Yeah I understand how a sway bar works. I just don't get the super super stiff ones, some are 700% stiffer than stock. I mean why not just weld the suspension in at that point. Something MUST be giving. I'm not doubting you guys's experience but... Where is the limit? At what point are you too stiff? Yeah ok insert joke here.

Dave I'm guessing that because of the very light front end of the NSX compared to the rear that a very stiff front bar works well. Just a guess.

Ok well 43% of 3200 pounds still isn't THAT light. I understand it's less than 50% of say 3600 in an M3 or something... but it's not like there is that little weight up front. I am just wondering when you can say you've gone too far. I've watched Dali go from street to a thicker track bar. Then I think the track bar had an even thicker version for a while, then it got thicker with the trophy bar, then the trophy bar got thicker with another version. Now the guy doing autoX here has this one custom bar that looks like you would have to twist a thick piece of plumbing pipe that would never twist.

I guess I am just very surprised as to how thick they seem to be getting. I mean the factory type R bar is looking like a Brazilian thong.

Ok well 43% of 3200 pounds still isn't THAT light. I understand it's less than 50% of say 3600 in an M3 or something... but it's not like there is that little weight up front. I am just wondering when you can say you've gone too far. I've watched Dali go from street to a thicker track bar. Then I think the track bar had an even thicker version for a while, then it got thicker with the trophy bar, then the trophy bar got thicker with another version. Now the guy doing autoX here has this one custom bar that looks like you would have to twist a thick piece of plumbing pipe that would never twist.

I guess I am just very surprised as to how thick they seem to be getting. I mean the factory type R bar is looking like a Brazilian thong.
Brazilian thongs are FTW.:biggrin:

Back