• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Plasma TV

Guys...I am looking for a cheap 42" in my bedroom during late nite cartoon episode :D. What is the most tv for the money? what the heck is EDTV?

Any1 in the business?

PoohBEAR said:
Guys...I am looking for a cheap 42" in my bedroom during late nite cartoon episode :D. What is the most tv for the money? what the heck is EDTV?

Any1 in the business?

EDTV = Enhanced Definition TV
HDTV = High Definition TV

Have you considered a media projector ? I have seen some new EDTV plasmas for less then $1500. I saw a really good one at circuit city for $1899 Good meaning the picture looked really good.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ESA-.../sem/rpsm/oid/93192/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I saw some new ones on the market for less but havent had a chance to see the picture quality on them.

Thanks budd,
Which is better? HDTV or EDTV? btw, I already hvae a projector for the theater room....I just need a cheapy plasma for the bedroom :D

Acura NsX Pilot said:
EDTV = Enhanced Definition TV
HDTV = High Definition TV

Have you considered a media projector ? I have seen some new EDTV plasmas for less then $1500. I saw a really good one at circuit city for $1899 Good meaning the picture looked really good.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ESA-.../sem/rpsm/oid/93192/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I saw some new ones on the market for less but havent had a chance to see the picture quality on them.

PoohBEAR said:
Thanks budd,
Which is better? HDTV or EDTV? btw, I already hvae a projector for the theater room....I just need a cheapy plasma for the bedroom :D
EDTV is a lower resolution than HDTV, therefore HDTV is superior.

HDTV is 720P or 1080I, EDTV is 480P (I think, I may be wrong). Many EDTV monitors appear to accept an HDTV signal, but then convert it to the lower resolution. 480P is the same as regular DVDs, by the way.

Interestingly enough, I have only seen plasma TVs with EDTV. I think the target customers are the ones that really want a flat panel TV, but can't or won't afford an HDTV plasma or LCD.

I don't know your setup, but if you can get away with something that is not as flat as a plasma, I highly recommend a DLP TV (which is HD-ready). It is significantly thinner than a regular or projection TV (only about 18"), and also significantly cheaper than flat panels. I have the 50" Samsung, and the quality is exceptional.

HDTV is better than EDTV. EDTV can only handle up to 480p, whereas HDTV can handle 720p and/or 1080i (in addition to 480p). It appears to me that 1080i is becoming the standard in HD programming.

Edit: nkb beat me to the punch on the EDTV explanation. :smile:

Kind of off topic but where is a good forum to go to when researching the different tv's out there?

I am looking to put together a good home entertainment system.

thanks

(sorry about the hijack)

DVDoughboy said:
Kind of off topic but where is a good forum to go to when researching the different tv's out there?

thanks

(sorry about the hijack)
On this topic, I found a forum here that appears to have a lot of activity.

Also, try doing a search on Google, etc., using the keywords "home theater forum."

Edit: A great website for remote controls is http://www.remotecentral.com. I bought a Universal Remote Home Theater Master MX-500, and I love it!

Last edited:
Yesterday, during black Friday, Sears had a 42" for 1799 and best buy had one for 1499. Not sure if it was a one time offer or not. BJ's has one for 1799 on a consistence basis. I think the one at BJ's requires external speakers.

jgtcnsx said:
check out best buy, they seem to have um the best buys :smile:
In my experience, that's not necessarily true. Best Buy and its clone, Circuit City, have a very good selection. Their regular prices and their sale prices are generally decent, but not great; very often you can do better elsewhere. The two places that do seem to have the best buys are Sam's Club and its clone, Costco, both of which have plasma, LCD, and conventional tube HDTV and EDTV sets in a variety of sizes, albeit with a limited selection of brands (usually just one or two) in any particular size. I've also found some excellent electronics buys at Target (particularly when items are on sale), although they tend to sell smaller items rather than the high end stuff.

Incidentally, Best Buy and Circuit City show almost all of their items on their websites, so it's easy to do research from home. Sam's Club varies by department and most of their high-end consumer electronics items in the store are not shown on their website. Costco has a policy of not showing items available in their stores on their website.

DVDoughboy said:
A great place to start for an overview is Consumer Reports. Their November issue had a huge buying guide to digital equipment, with plenty of buying advice as well as brand name ratings for HDTV (including plama, LCD, and conventional), home theaters, digital cameras, and camcorders. Highly recommended. That issue might still be on newsstands and in bookstores; otherwise, you should be able to find it in your local public library.

steveny said:
Yesterday, during black Friday, Sears had a 42" for 1799 and best buy had one for 1499. Not sure if it was a one time offer or not. BJ's has one for 1799 on a consistence basis. I think the one at BJ's requires external speakers.

I have only seen EDTV Plasmas in this range and when you are at the store viewing these please check to see if the media they are playing is HD or Regular analog. Most stores play a demo disc which is HD so if you plan to have the same picture at home you will need a HD signal obviously.

Wow...thanks everyone for the many responses. I just came back from Bestbuy, Costo, and the good guys--None was under 2K. compusa has one for 1899 w/300 rebate store credit...but not hdtv. i'll wait since majority says edtv sucks!!! :D christmas sales? blue monday or another black friday?:D

PoohBEAR said:
i'll wait since majority says edtv sucks!!!

Simply not true, many people can not tell the difference between a good EDTV and an HDTV pdp at normal viewing distances. With HD programming the HDTV will have a slightly sharper picture. Actually for SD and DVDs a good EDTV pdp will display the picture better than an HDTV pdp. HDTV will have to upconvert while the EDTV will be native. This can have mixed results.

Most of the sub $2000 EDTV pdps are not very good quality, they are mostly Chinese or Taiwanese and sell under many different brands. A step up in EDTV pdps would be the Korean brands Samsung and LG which are generally good quality at around $2-2500. The best EDTV pdps would be the Panasonic pdps which can be found in Panasonic, Hitachi, JVC, and Fujitsu.

A commercial Panasonic EDTV is close to $2000, but won't have speakers or a stand. The consumer version is about $2900 at Best Buy, but $2500 at Costco, it's clone Sams Club might also have it.

You have to decide what you are going to watch and how much you're willing to spend. If it's mainly SD and DVD then a EDTV is the way to go. If its HD programming and you're willing to spend ~4-4500 then the HD pdp will be better. The main thing is that EDTV pdps only come in 42 inch sizes. That is why I went with a 50 inch Fujitsu.

AVSforums is where to find all your answers.

Here's what Consumer Reports says about the difference between ED and HD (note that their recommendation is different for LCD TVs than for plasma TVs):

In their overview article on HDTV:

"ED refers to 480p, a spec between standard and high definition. But lower resolution doesn't necessarily mean lower picture quality. Some ED plasma sets (less commonly LCD TVs) do a very good job down-converting HD to a resolution they can display."

In their article about plasma TVs:

"Consider HD if you're a purist, ED if you want a good, lower-cost alternative. HDTVs are designed to display 720p and 1080i HD signals. In some cases, a set will up-convert or down-convert signals to match its native resolution.

ED sets can display the full detail of 480p signals, such as those output by a progressive-scan DVD player. Most ED plasma TVs can down-convert HD signals to a resolution they can handle.

Despite their higher ressolution, HD sets don't always have better picture quality than ED models. The way a TV processes incoming signals and renders subtle differences in shading affects what you see. Some of the ED models we tested looked just as good with HD programming as some of the true HD sets. If you sit too close to an ED set, though, you're more likely to see the individual pixels, which makes the images look coarser and less natural.

Most of the ED models were at their best when displaying DVD content because the 480p signals more closely match the resolution of the screen. See if the picture quality of the better ED sets suits you; it may save you $1,000 or more compared with an HD model. But if you're a demanding viewer, you may want to pay more to get a true HD set."

In their article on LCD TVs:

"Guy an HDTV for a main set. HDTVs have the best picture quality, even with regular TV programming. There's a good selection of HD sets on the market, especially in the larger sizes that you'd want for a primary television. An enhanced-definition (ED) TV may cost a bit less, but the picture quality may not be as good, and you probably won't be able to get HD programming. (Only one of the six tested ED sets could down-convert HD signals.) We'd recommend a standard definition set only in a small size for casual viewing."

I have a Samsung 42 inch EDTV and for me the difference is minimal. Of course its only a monitor, no tv tuner or speakers although it does have outputs for speakers, which i dont mind since thats how i would use any tv as a monitor only. have a receiver that everything else is connected to.

PC hooked up to it looks very nice, can surf the web from the couch with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. been wanting to put some tv recording software and hardware but i've just been too lazy lately or i just dont have the time.

as far as size goes, it works fine for me, anything bigger and i would probably go with a projector.

I can't believe that someone would say the EDTV is just as good as HDTV on an HD signal? Doesn't sound right...

I cannot even watch DVDs anymore after watching HDTV - the quality is so drastically different from 480p to 720p or 1080i that it's not even close. You'll find yourself watching HD shows that you aren't interested in at all just because the picture is so clear.

The EDTV is OK if you are buying the TV just for DVDs or just TV picture quality is not that important to you and all you want is to have a flat TV on the wall. If you plan on having any type of HD signal, do yourself a favor and buy a HD DLP TV instead of a cheapy EDTV Plasma. For those of you that can wait, CRTs will be getting thinner starting next year (16 inches or so).

I was considering buying a cheap ED Plasma as a bedroom TV but opted for a 30 inch CRT HD instead. I got it from Costco for less than $700. I have a high quality HD plasma in the living room.

To me, having HD is just as important as having a nice flat television. Buying an EDTV is like buying a kit car - you get the looks without the performance.

JChoice said:
I can't believe that someone would say the EDTV is just as good as HDTV on an HD signal?
I don't think anyone here made this claim.

I think the claim is that SD and DVD signals may look slightly better on EDTV than HDTV, since the vertical resolution of the display matches that of the source. While HDTV has a higher vertical progressive-scan resolution (720P vs. 480P), the additional resolution is not enough to resample (upconvert) a SD/DVD signal without introducing a little distortion.

For folks who only watch regular SDTV and DVDs, an EDTV can work just fine.

Someone (Consumer Reports) made that claim:

"Some of the ED models we tested looked just as good with HD programming as some of the true HD sets. "

In NSXTACY's post.

A bunch of people on avsforum.com also stated that it was hard to tell the difference in picture quality between HD and ED plasmas of 42" size when viewed from normal distances. HD resolution provides the most benefit when u get up into the 50, 60, 70" screen sizes. If you're looking to keep costs down and don't want a CRT or DLP I'd go with a Panasonic screen. Their ED plasma was rated one of the best 42" screens overall, even when compared to HD screens. Their latest generation supposedly do away with burn in issues and last longer than older models.

Last edited:
I agree that with 42" regular DVD resolution (480p = EDTV) there is no big difference and in most case you can $pare the difference.

I have 720p on my DLP projector and it looks better than 480p ...but it is noticeable only when using at least 60" (I project at 90" normally).

Thanks in part to this thread, I just picked up a Fujitsu 50" plasma tonight. :biggrin: Now I've got to figure out where I'm gonna mount this sucker....

OK, I stand corrected. I have a 50 inch Pioneer Elite Plasma and I can clearly see the difference between ED and HD.

On another note: I just picked up an HD Toshiba at goodguys.com a few weeks ago for $3300 with free shipping for our new office. I don't know about the picture quality of this unit but since it was for a conference room, I didn't really care. It is hooked up to a PC so resolution was important.

DVDoughboy said:

thanks

(sorry about the hijack)

The NSXPrime of Audio/Video Forums:

www.avsforum.com

This is the first and last stop for personal electronic inquiries. Prepare to be overwhelmed! :D

Also, don't discount 480p. DVD discs only have a max resolution of 480p. That means if you play it on EDTV, it will not have annoying video artifacts.

Joel said:
Also, don't discount 480p. DVD discs only have a max resolution of 480p. That means if you play it on EDTV, it will not have annoying video artifacts.

480P is OK, but it looks nothing close to true HD. My DVD's look nowhere close to as good as the HD signal and I have a pretty high-end DVD player and a 60" sony LCD.

I would NEVER buy a TV right now that does not do HD. I don't think having a built-in tuner is a must, but certainly at least HD-ready.

Don't waste your money on ED.

Back