• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PLEASE answer re TV racing coverage

I come to this forum in desperation and exasperation.

Why o why is TV coverage of racing so effin bad whether it be oval track or road racing?? (Nascar, F-1, Cart, IRL)

To wit: why out of a 3 hour race is there only 6 sec (OK a little hyperbole to make a point) of in car camera. It appears to me that you would double the coverage of any event if you just showed in car most of the time. The advertisers could have their logos in there so that wouldn't seem to matter. What is the point of extended overhead shots and shots of a guy in the gravel??

I was watching the American Le Mans series and there was this incredible battle between Ferrari and Vette toward the end but the left it for a few seconds to show one of the LMP cars crossing the finish line- I mean that's like showing the water boy itching his balls while the winning touchdown is scored in double overtime in the superbowl.

I would pay extra on PPV to be able to be in car the whole time. People in my household who know nothing about autoracing are glued to the set when there is in car camera stuff.

Does anyone else feel this way or is my life so boring that this is now an issue?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Easy - more people watch in life than do. In-car is for doers, i.e. you only really appreciate that view if you've done it.

Because they want you to PAY for in-car all the time...its called "Nascar Garage Pass" or "Nascar In Car" I believe...either way, you pay a little extra to watch the whole race from your drivers point of view and to hear the crew to driver conversations.

The main usage for in car is to show the drivers POV when they wreck or are near a wreck. Very rarely do they show it for a pass or something because there is alot more involved, especially in NASCAR, when someone is passing a car, i.e. who went with who, drafting help?, did any other cars make the pass, etc.

I do agree though, being an avid racer/racefan, i enjoy in car camera much more than they offer.

Back