• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please help, my NSX suffered a heart attack!

Sunday I went to the garage and uncovered the car for a ride.
I drove it around last weekend (7 days prior) without a single problem, but an odd thing happened when I tried to start the car this time.

I put the key into the ignition all the lights and warnings lit up, then when I turned key to the start position, black-out, othing, nada. The engine did not turn over, no noises. So I took the key out and reinserted it. This time, none of the start up sequence lights came on and again nothing when I turn the key to the start position.

I've checked the fuzes in the rear of the car and nothing blown there. The battery is 1 month old so it's not the "juice." And since there are no clicking sounds or is any evidence of electrical activity, I doubt that it's the starter or solinoid...

My guess is that it might be the terminal to the battery or a fuse. Anyone know where to look for the main fuse? Any tips on checking for battery terminal leads? Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

I've never really done anything major to a car besides oil changes and wheel/tire stuff so I'd really appreciate the help :)

Thanks in advance!

GeNSX

Fuse #9 (120A) and fuse #12 (30A) in the engine compartment fuse box as well as fuse #29 (50A) in the front compartment fuse box are the 'main' ignition fuses.
However it doesn't really sound like that to me.
One thing to check would be the terminal connections, especially the ground one. Also the connection at the ground (-ve) cable to the chassis is also suspect fairly common failure point. You need to remove the spare wheel bracket to inspect the connection to ground. If the terminals themsleves are loose, (again common) it makes sense to replace them.

It's possible you had a bad connection &/or your battery had little remaining charge - when initially switched on there was enough power to light the display, but trying to engage the starter immediately drained what was was left. This could potentially also be caused by a power drain through either an interior light or aftermarket device being left on.

One question is why was battery replaced a month ago? Do symptoms of that have any bearing on current problems (i.e. high standing drain current)? Also the terminals could have been stretched out in process of replacement .....

Hope that gives some ideas to work on.

Good Luck!

wow Ken. i'm really impressed
you know sooo much about the nsx's electrical, fuse# and all.... cool :smile:
i'll keep u in mind if i ever have any questions in the future.

I had a similar problem with my '92. On occasion, I would turn the ignition key and nothing would happen. After several attempts it would start. In my case, it was a bad connection at the starter solenoid. Check all of the connectors at the starter and the soleniod as well. If you get intermittent dash lights if you jiggle the ignition key back and forth , it could also be a bad ignition switch. Good luck.

Ken,

Your knowledge of the NSX neurology is encyclopedic!

I replaced the battery a month ago because it wouldn't hold a charge for very long... it needed a starter jump even after just 1 week of sitting, plus when I read the battery, it was already 5 yrs old and a cheapo one to boot. I have made no electrical/sound system installations. I always leave the alarm system off when the car is parked in the garage.

I'll go back and take the spare / mounting bracket off and twiddle with the battery ground... it seems to me the most likely culprit as well.

Thanks for all your help and I'll keep you posted when I get the problem resolved.

GeNSX - (Max)

This has actually happened to me about 4 times on 4 different cars. Each time it came down to the connection to the battery. Make sure to take each terminal off and clean them up really well. Then really crank down on the nut holding the battery clamp on as tight as you can. You'll be surprised that even if you think you have a nice tight connection you may not. Once I used an adjustable wrench to tighten my battery clamp down and I got erratic electrical behavior. When I went back with a socket, I could crank down on the nut just a tiny smidgen more and all problems went away.

Also after you recheck the connection to the battery be sure to follow the wires as far back as you can. On my Lexus there is another connection point further down from the battery terminal and it turned out that part had gotten loose. Once I tightened that section down everything was good again.

This also happened to me two summers ago about three weeks after I purchased my car. The positive terminal clamp was not on tight enough and the nut was already at maximum tightness. I took a tin can and cut a small strip out of the side of it with a tin snips. I used a wire brush to strip the protective coating off the metal. I then wrapped the metal strip around the terminal. With the circumference of the terminal a little bit more than before, I spread the terminal clamp over it, then the nut and bolt were able to seat much better. I have not had any problems since. I'm sure eventually this metal strip will corrode, when that happens, I will just replace it again.

Hope all goes well.

John
'91 Red/Ivory

Beaknose said:
....The positive terminal clamp was not on tight enough and the nut was already at maximum tightness. ...
This is a common problem with the really 'cheap' OEM component used here.

I would really recommend just cutting it off & installing a replacement clamp that you should be able to find at local auto parts store or car audio shop (a screw clamp vs a crimp for the cable connection will make self installation simple). Get a pair & do both terminals at same time.

Important Tip - ensure you always disconnect the -ve first, then the +ve - reason being safety, even if you contact your wrench against a ground point, there is no danger of arcing in this sequence. For re-install, work in reverse - attach +ve first, then -ve last.

D'Ecosse said:
Fuse #9 (120A) and fuse #12 (30A) in the engine compartment fuse box as well as fuse #29 (50A) in the front compartment fuse box are the 'main' ignition fuses.
However it doesn't really sound like that to me.
One thing to check would be the terminal connections, especially the ground one. Also the connection at the ground (-ve) cable to the chassis is also suspect fairly common failure point. You need to remove the spare wheel bracket to inspect the connection to ground. If the terminals themsleves are loose, (again common) it makes sense to replace them.

It's possible you had a bad connection &/or your battery had little remaining charge - when initially switched on there was enough power to light the display, but trying to engage the starter immediately drained what was was left. This could potentially also be caused by a power drain through either an interior light or aftermarket device being left on.

One question is why was battery replaced a month ago? Do symptoms of that have any bearing on current problems (i.e. high standing drain current)? Also the terminals could have been stretched out in process of replacement .....

Hope that gives some ideas to work on.

Good Luck!

Follow Ken's advice on this matter

Ok, good to know that my fledgeling diagnostic skills are on the right track.
I got back too late from work and meeting a friend so I couldn't work on it today. I'll give y'all an updated report when I get a chance to work on it tomorrow.

the NSXPrime community really is the best. So much help it's like having 3000 mechanics on your speed dial.

Vegas and Beaknose, thank you for sharing your experience. And BadCarma, I like your Commodore 64 inspired avatar!

GeNSX

Follow up to the heart attack :smile:
I thought I'd start from the easiest to the more difficult.
First I checked all the fuses, none blown so next I removed the spare tire (I know don't laugh) and checked the battery terminals.

Just as Vegas stated about "cranking down" on the terminals, I got a 10mm socket and tightened it down a good 2 or 3 more revolutions on both the positive and negative bolts.

The magical 3 beeps and a pause sequence when I inserted the key in the ignition told me of good things to come. The she-beast started up like a champ! And with a sharp bark, she asked in her own way (where the heck have you been?)

My 18 mo old son decided to come to the garage to see what the ruckus was about and he poigniantly said "Vroom! Black!"

Thanks again for all of your help. I now have my plans for tomorrow's get together with the Raleigh NSXers back on line!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

GeNSX

Back