• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

please help!

had my car about a month now, recently posted in new owner discussion, anyway, was warned by seller that my clutch would need replacing soon, but all of the sudden it seems I have catastrophic failure. the car shifts into gear just fine, but will not even move when i release the clutch pedal. It may eek out an inch or two if i press the gas a bit, but if there is so much as a pebble under a tire preventing the car from rolling, it will not budge. The clutch just seems to be slipping severely, in fact, I can leave the car in gear, take my foot off the clutch and off the gas and it wont stall out, thats how bad its slipping. what the hell?! I can get some action out of reverse, but thats about it. how did my clutch go from working fine to not working at all in less than 100 miles? obviously i am having it towed immediately to my local acura mech to get it sorted out, but a little enlightenment would be awesome

had my car about a month now, recently posted in new owner discussion, anyway, was warned by seller that my clutch would need replacing soon, but all of the sudden it seems I have catastrophic failure. the car shifts into gear just fine, but will not even move when i release the clutch pedal. It may eek out an inch or two if i press the gas a bit, but if there is so much as a pebble under a tire preventing the car from rolling, it will not budge. The clutch just seems to be slipping severely, in fact, I can leave the car in gear, take my foot off the clutch and off the gas and it wont stall out, thats how bad its slipping. what the hell?! I can get some action out of reverse, but thats about it. how did my clutch go from working fine to not working at all in less than 100 miles? obviously i am having it towed immediately to my local acura mech to get it sorted out, but a little enlightenment would be awesome

im currently overseas and purchased my car knowing the same thing. That it needed a clutch. So I purchased a new oem twin disc while it sat in the garage, my brother would take it out on weekly strolls to keep the battery charged and tires from rotting. One day he was driving on the highway and said the idle dropped to idle while in gear. And pretty much stated the same symptoms as you. The car barely creeps if revved up, shifts into gears but doesn't move. I have never experience catastrophic clutch failure over night like that. So I thought my brother blew my tranny or something. My brother dropped the tranny and said the discs looked like sheets of paper. Weird but I guess that really was the problem. I told him to hold off from installing the clutch till I get home as I prefer I do it to my liking (using my snap on torque wrench for all the specs) cause I know he would just blast a power tool to everything since he works at a dealership and I know that's how they do things LOL when I get home (43 days) ill install it. I'm glad to hear you have the same symptoms! If it was my tranny I was going to just do a 6 speed swap. Good luck!

well I'm not glad your car broke. But that I am not alone in this matter

Last edited:
Whew, well you've almost given me good news. I began to fear tranny failure, but the symptoms just didn't match tranny failure. They match clutch failure, I've just never heard of them failing so catastrophically literally over the course of 3 days like that. So weird

Back