Porsche Forums

• Thread starter Thread starter KGP
  • Start date Start date

KGP

Legendary Member
What are the best Porsche forums to learn about 996's? Is there a place that has a FAQ such as Prime does for NSX's?

great minds think alike!

hmmm... Small world, I was pondering this the other night as well (an informative, user-friendly, and accurate Porsche 911 Forum for insights on the 996).

Thanks carguy!, http://forums.rennlist.com/ then it is!
Hey, hey... it's just a plan_B, plan_C, etc. if the "HSC" isn't my cup o' tea! :cool:

www.pelicanparts.com
and
Rennlist are by far the most comprehensive sites on the net. They have been around a long time and started as listserves.
However, my fellow St. Louiean, I would be more than happy to give you expert tutelage on the P-cars.

95, (97, 98 C4S) 993)) or 993TT (Preference being the 97)
If a 996 is what you are looking for 01 and up.
997 , well it's brand new, and very nice.
94 3.6T, or all out S option. Very fast and going under 50k for the non S.
996TT skip the first production year, any thing after that is cool. Very nice power up grades.

Any good information sites to learn about the early years?

I have become intrigued with the '68-'73.5 years for reasons that I can't quite explain. I'd like to start learning more about them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

White94 said:
Any good information sites to learn about the early years?

I have become intrigued with the '68-'73.5 years for reasons that I can't quite explain. I'd like to start learning more about them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PELICAN PARTS
Search for R gruppe on google.
there are also web sites dedicated to the early model cars.
I know what you mean with the intrigue.
a 71T and a 73S in the garage being restored , very slowly.

Thanks guys.

Len, thnks for the tip. Pelican parts has a great FAQ and I think based on it I might be most interested in a 2.4 '72-'73. I am just starting to learn and get a feel for pricing. Do you mind me asking what a the price range is for a close to original, matching #s, rust-free 72-73 911s is? They seem all over the place.

I found this listing but between that, Hemmings, eBay and Dupont I feel like I am not getting a good handle on it. I am not looking for Concours, but am looking for something nice and original.

PM would be greatly appreciated if you had a little wisdom to share.

White94 said:
Thanks guys.

Len, thnks for the tip. Pelican parts has a great FAQ and I think based on it I might be most interested in a 2.4 '72-'73. I am just starting to learn and get a feel for pricing. Do you mind me asking what a the price range is for a close to original, matching #s, rust-free 72-73 911s is? They seem all over the place.

I found this listing but between that, Hemmings, eBay and Dupont I feel like I am not getting a good handle on it. I am not looking for Concours, but am looking for something nice and original.

PM would be greatly appreciated if you had a little wisdom to share.

Right now the early cars are priced through the stratosphere, especially S cars. They are the most coveted. Then would be the E and then the T.
The RS and RSR are on the extreme end.
There are S types going for well into 30K range and more.
E types are going for 10-20k as well. Heck some of the T types with the 2.5 ltr motors are into the 20s. You can find a great car between 10-20K. As always look for the best example that you can find in the price range that fits you best. Be very afraid of rust, these cars were not rust proofed at all. They are very good at hiding rust; quarter panels, floor pans, suspension pans, torsion tube longitudinals. and battery boxes are the most prone.
I would truly look for the garage queen unless you want to restore. If you want to restore, buy one from the guy who's wife is tired of him pumping $$$'s into an already started money pit.

The nicest cars are in California, Arizona, Texas, and Nevada. All of the other dry states have nice ones as well. Be very appreciative of the possibility of rust.. Can't stress this enough. Mechanicals are pretty straight forward, although the Fuelie cars are the most sought after. Then the next would be cars retofitted with webbers.. The more original the better.

2.2, 2.4, 2.5, and 2.7 were the engines of choice, I am stuffing a 3.8 into mine. The older cars were very light , so 160 - 200 HP goes a long way with them. Get to know the wheels that are on the cars. There were Coupes, Sun Roof coupes and Targas. There are no convertibles, if it's convertible it most likely started life as a targa. (Which most later convertibles were as well) Original parts are very expensive for these cars, even on the ebay and used scene. The cars are fairly easy to work on.

PM me with any questions you would like to ask. I have some pretty good pics of a rusted car. This would show you what and where to look for rust and other issues.

Here is a link to my rusty 71T. I paid a very stiff 5K for this car. However after parting it out, it was equipped with some rare parts, I am up 4k (Truly) and I still have vital pieces to use if needed.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eleko...one=http://photos.sbc.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Since we are on the subject of P-cars, we dynoed and then I received a spirited ride in a friend/customers GT3 today. Have to say, GREAT CAR!. Very well balanced, in all the possible ways.

I have a '73 911T Targa (no, not a redundant statement for Porsches) with the mechanical fuel injection. When I got my NSX about 8 months ago, I thought I might sell it, but as of yet I have been unable to even think about it! The 72-73 2.4 are generally regarded as the best of the early ones. They are also light and quick as someone mentioned, but not really fast by today's standards. The unique sound of the air/oil cooled P flat sixes put them in a class by themselves.

Since I have one, I always check on what's for sale. A good one in those years will probably start about $11K and go up to about $20K for a great example. I saw an add for one a few days ago for $30K, but I think that must be a dreamer no matter how nice. As mentioned, Ts are lower, S higher, E in the middle.

My suggestion would be to find somebody local to you that is in the PCA. They have a magazine with a great classified section. There is every kind of model and type in there for sale by caring owners. They won't be cheap, but they are some of the best. Also, be careful of rust lurking in not easily visible places. That is the thing that kills a lot of the early ones. Of course, everything is fixable with enough $$$, but buying a rust free one will pay off in the long run.

I told my wife the other day that driving the NSX is like driving a race car, the Porsche is more like driving a go-cart - both a delight in their own way.

If you guys are looking for a 996, I am going to sell mine. If you are interested it is a 99 Cab Blue, black top, grey leather. PM me if interested.

Rob

Back