• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Possibility of relocating to SoCal

Hey follow owners. I'm currently located in GA and looking into a mid-level web developer job in SoCal, particularly Irvine and NorCal near SF as well. What is like living there (cost of living, car scene and etc)? It's just me so possibly looking for a roommate. Might be selling my beloved 92 NA1 :( but that doesn't mean I won't get another one in near future once everything is settled. Any input is appreciated.

if you are moving to Socal or Norcal it will be a big mistake to sell your NSX. ��

I agree with Henry. Car Crazy here and the NSX scene is one of the best in the country. Lots to do and the canyon runs are where your current car wants to be. Don't disappoint her.

Northern California is even more expensive than southern California, and it's expensive here. I'm about 10 miles from Irvine. My kids live in northern California, in Mountain View (Google coder, son) and Sacramento (zookeeper, daughter). I've considered moving to NorCal myself but the farther inland you go, the hotter the summer is even though the price of homes is less.

Don't sell your NSX.

What's the minimum salary I should be making in SoCal in order to live comfortably on my own? Im hating myself for selling the NSX but the budget is really tight.

Irvine is steep, 1700 for 700 sq.ft. apartment + utilities, higher insurance, gas, groceries and well pretty much everything else.... I'd say 80ish if on your own

Hi reviveNSX, I went to grad school in Atlanta but did undergrad in SoCal and as mentioned, the cost of living is significantly higher in SoCal. However generally speaking I think the pay and the number of opportunities is also greater, so that can offset.

In terms of car culture, nowhere on Earth is there as much love for the automobile as Southern California. The area between LA and SD alone has more cars than all of Europe combined, easily. Also the roads in both NorCal and SoCal IMHO are the best in the country ~ Tail of the Dragon and the Suches Loop are terribly average compared to some of the drives up in the mountains that border California cities. The Appalachians out East are just lumpy hills compared to the elevation change and switchbacks available in California.

If you can make it happen, you absolutely should bring your NSX. You'll hate yourself for giving it up, especially once you see how great California is for spirited drivers.

First: Don't sell your NSX. Do whatever it takes to keep it

SoCal -
The Good: Weather, Ocean, Mountains, Roads, Lifestyle, target-rich dating environment, very active car scene, decent supply of IT jobs, and the pay can be good to very good, fresh vegetables and fruit, good universities
The Bad: Fricking expensive housing for smaller places, Gas is expensive, Commuting is a nightmare, State taxes are high, weapons laws are highly restrictive.

Back