• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power Steering?

CAN it be done? The answer, of course, is yes it can--at a terrible expense. You would be FAR better off buying a EPS car with auto/sportshift than modifying the '93. JMOICBW.

Or, you can buy a '95 or later NSX with manual transmission, all of which have power steering (except the '99 Zanardi model).

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 February 2002).]

I agree with beckertb. The Automatic Transmission has a control unit which is interconected with other systems, like the PGM-FI system. Now, the PGM-FI must have different programming, and maybe a different physical connector setup(I don't know-the service manual just has one electrical connection drawing), which would mean you cannot just change out a couple of PROMs, assuming they can be changed without being unsoldered. So, you have the transmission, the control box, and possibly a whole new PGM-FI controller. But, since EPS is standard on the A/T model, it is also interconnected with the PGM-FI, and I don't know what would happen if you didn't change it at the same time.

I said you would probably at least have to change the programming on the PGM-FI. Now, you have a PGM-FI that is programmed for the 250 HP engine which comes with the A/T, but which is still connected to a 270 HPengine. Is the program different? I cannot imagine that it is not, somewhat. Now, what do you do? Change to the 250 HP engine? No, of course not. You buy the newer model, or live with the manual transmission.

Changing the steering alone is pretty involved, but it might just beat out buying a newer car in raw numbers, if you used only salvage parts, and you did it yourself. Still, there are so many places that have to be gotten to, and so many units to install, that it would frustrate me. And, you couldn't be sure it worked correctly until it was all hooked up. Finding out all of the intricate details of changing either unit would be something best left to super experts.

Finally, even if you could beat the raw numbers, you have installed this stuff on an older model that is going to be worth less than the one you could have sprung for at about the same extra money as the upgrade, or even less, IMHO. And, you might have a harder time selling an A/T model. That is probably in your favor if you go looking for a newer A/T model. They seem to be available in larger numbers, proportionately, than the manual variety, so maybe the owners either don't like to keep them, or they are hard to sell.

Once again, IMHO, don't. Either buy newer, or enjoy your fully manual car.

Regards,

Bill

Back