• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Price check 1991 nsx? please help...

I am at the negotiation stage on a 1991 NSX red 5 speed. It has no accident or paint history and has about 44k miles. It is a 2 owner car and has had the timing belt service done 1000 miles ago. Excellent condition, but not completely perfect. Not a snap ring car.

What is the correct pricing range on this car? I have had so much trouble figuring out this.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
Not enough information.

Why was a 6 speed installed in this '91? I know some like to swap but the mileage is low for a tranny swap with no other mods.

It was a typo...i corrected it. Thanks for the heads up

I am at the negotiation stage on a 1991 NSX red 5 speed. It has no accident or paint history and has about 44k miles. It is a 2 owner car and has had the timing belt service done 1000 miles ago. Excellent condition, but not completely perfect. Not a snap ring car.

What is the correct pricing range on this car? I have had so much trouble figuring out this.

thanks

From my perspective, not over $30K. And, people can ask all they want. A fistful of dead presidents is more persuasive than email responses of, "I will take it." (I.e. you have cash and they want to sell.)

My sense is that plenty are asking north of that number but a two-owner car without (I suspect you would have shared otherwise) a long maintenance history in hand is going to need some attention. At minimum, I would want to have the PPI done as well as an alignment check (focus on the remaining adjustment after car is in spec. If no remaining adjustment, find out why...i.e. are the parts worn, replaced, bent?)

I know people are jumping on the bandwagon, but to me a car at that level ought to be sub 30K unless there is a compelling reason/value. To me that value is in maintenance and provenance. You sort of have one, but not the other.

- - - Updated - - -

From my perspective, not over $30K. And, people can ask all they want. A fistful of dead presidents is more persuasive than email responses of, "I will take it." (I.e. you have cash and they want to sell.)

My sense is that plenty are asking north of that number but a two-owner car without (I suspect you would have shared otherwise) a long maintenance history in hand is going to need some attention. At minimum, I would want to have the PPI done as well as an alignment check (focus on the remaining adjustment after car is in spec. If no remaining adjustment, find out why...i.e. are the parts worn, replaced, bent?)

I know people are jumping on the bandwagon, but to me a car at that level ought to be sub 30K unless there is a compelling reason/value. To me that value is in maintenance and provenance. You sort of have one, but not the other.

Oh, one more thing. Be thinking of which state(s) the car has been through. Look at the Carfax closely for states that may raise red flags (hurricanes, flooding, loose "total" definition, etc.) I would pay a premium if a car has been in the same general geography (absent maintenance and verification).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one more thing. Be thinking of which state(s) the car has been through. Look at the Carfax closely for states that may raise red flags (hurricanes, flooding, loose "total" definition, etc.) I would pay a premium if a car has been in the same general geography (absent maintenance and verification).

Finally someone with some sane thoughts. I mean, I bought my NSX with 91k miles (but had all the comptech stuff on it I wanted - including the Brembo/Indy Brake setup (costs 10k normally)) for 29k. 30K should be about the limit for cars with medium amount of miles. But the bubble of used "collectible" cars is getting bigger - and I suspect its about to burst.

I'm in the market for another NSX - for various purposes. Some of the responses I've gotten back in emails have been horrifying. And this is from me - someone who has money ready to go usually. People selling their 1991 NSX with miles act like their car is the second coming of a 993 911 Turbo.

The NSX is a GREAT car... and it's prices will rise - but right now, for whatever reason, the pricing has gotten ridiculous - and likely is following the collector car inertia - people who are getting left out of the 964 911 or 993 911 bust are lookign around for another "blue chip" collectible that might appreciate. The NSX is just this car. So i compltely expect the bubble to burst when the economy corrects (which it will at some point).

There has been an uptick in the market, especially with the 1991 models as you can see from the graph below. Despite that, the "average" price is still below $30k. Of course there is always a disconnect between what the buyer feels is above average and what the seller feels is above average. The reality of course is that most cars are "Condition 3" cars and as such should be priced at $30k or a hair over, but of course most sellers believe their cars to be "Condition 2" or even the oddball who believes he has his hands on a "Condition 1" (highly unlikely) which explains the $40-50k asking prices.

On the flip side, EVERYONE (including dealers/collectors) are on the lookout for those Condition 1/2 cars as the car market is hot at the moment, so you will be competing with a lot of buyers. Despite the cold weather, the car market is doing well - probably because dealers are trying to get a jump on the spring market.

As for market correction, that is a real possibility as there are economic storm clouds brewing on the horizon for this spring. Quite honestly though, the uptick hasn't really been that sharp (check out Testarossa or 328 prices if you want to see a sharp increase that may crash) and I doubt that the NSX will suffer much of a decline in the upcoming 5 years. Most likely the cars will enjoy the steady slow appreciation rate that has been occurring since 2010.

With regards to the OP's question, it should be in a $30-40k range depending on how close it is to Condition 2 vs Condition 3. My guess is closer to $30 rather than $40 based on your quick numbers. I would not expect to be able to buy that car under $30k unless you are getting a good deal or there is a lot of information that we don't have about the car.

lK53Fo.gif

Not much love in this tread for the mileage, which I would consider pretty low for a 91. Value-wise, I'm thinking mid-30s. I would snap this thing up at 31-32 if there were no red flags and it was all stock. That said, I'm guessing the seller wants a good bit more for it.

KBB, which I think is pretty accurate on NSX's, values a 44K '92 with a $4K premium vs. the same '92 but with 85K miles. (KBB doesn't go back to '91)

Last edited:
I think lower to mid $30K would be an easy and quick sale on this car. I sold my 92 with about 60K miles, new trans from SOS due to snap ring, deferred Timing Belt and water pump change all of which the new owner knew about for $29K. I didn't even advertise and it was a really quick sale. If I had the timing belt service done I wouldn't have sold for less than $30.5K.

There has been an uptick in the market, especially with the 1991 models as you can see from the graph below. Despite that, the "average" price is still below $30k. Of course there is always a disconnect between what the buyer feels is above average and what the seller feels is above average. The reality of course is that most cars are "Condition 3" cars and as such should be priced at $30k or a hair over, but of course most sellers believe their cars to be "Condition 2" or even the oddball who believes he has his hands on a "Condition 1" (highly unlikely) which explains the $40-50k asking prices.

On the flip side, EVERYONE (including dealers/collectors) are on the lookout for those Condition 1/2 cars as the car market is hot at the moment, so you will be competing with a lot of buyers. Despite the cold weather, the car market is doing well - probably because dealers are trying to get a jump on the spring market.

As for market correction, that is a real possibility as there are economic storm clouds brewing on the horizon for this spring. Quite honestly though, the uptick hasn't really been that sharp (check out Testarossa or 328 prices if you want to see a sharp increase that may crash) and I doubt that the NSX will suffer much of a decline in the upcoming 5 years. Most likely the cars will enjoy the steady slow appreciation rate that has been occurring since 2010.

With regards to the OP's question, it should be in a $30-40k range depending on how close it is to Condition 2 vs Condition 3. My guess is closer to $30 rather than $40 based on your quick numbers. I would not expect to be able to buy that car under $30k unless you are getting a good deal or there is a lot of information that we don't have about the car.

lK53Fo.gif

Damn.. I knew I shouldve bought my NSX in 2010 when I was looking instead of my Supra...

I think it is worth around mid $30k's easily if it is in good original condition. A nice original NSX with this low mileage isn't easy to find. What color is it? The white/black seems to have higher demand.

thanks

lK53Fo.gif

I disagree. I'm one of those in the market for another NSX. There are plenty out there that are not being bought.. in all conditions. Even I'm having second thoughts with the market looking not so great in the next few months.

The seller wants 37.5 and is not budging. I am not finding cars in the ranges mentioned above. Furthermore, I found out there are no records and he said the timing be was done by previous owner. So I guess I should take his word for it. I am frustrated. If anyone knows or is selling a good low mileage car with no stories, let me know. I do appreciate all the input. Very much so.

Last edited:
it doesn't mean much if you haven't actually bought the car. It is just a matter of speculation that you can get certain car at x. Just because someone got one at x, doesn't mean the same is always available. A nice original low mileage NSX isn't too easy to find. Perhaps you can find some that are heavily modded or salvaged for a decent price.

Check Spokane's craigslist. 35k, obo on a low-mileage one. Which means 29k to me. ;)

I disagree. I'm one of those in the market for another NSX. There are plenty out there that are not being bought.. in all conditions. Even I'm having second thoughts with the market looking not so great in the next few months.

A recession does tend to drop prices, but honestly I don't know that it will be that significant. In the case above where the seller is holding out for an optimistic $37k, a recession in the next few months probably would convince him to shave $5k off that and settle for a more realistic $32k. That's just the nature of the economy and I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for waiting to see what March/April brings.

Sorry to hear about your frustration brad_rosenberg, but the lack of records and questionable service history might be red flags for you to move on to another car. There *are* good cars out there, but it does often take a LONG time to find one.

You can't assume the recession will have any impact on a particular car. That owner may or may not be impacted by the recession, may or may not have motivations to sell, need the space or money etc.

My last two nsxs were not even technically for sale when I sold them and I was not even in the nsx market when I bought my current nsx. It was simply an awesome seller that approached me with an awesome car at the right time

The seller wants 37.5 and is not budging. I am not finding cars in the ranges mentioned above. Furthermore, I found out there are no records and he said the timing be was done by previous owner. So I guess I should take his word for it. I am frustrated. If anyone knows or is selling a good low mileage car with no stories, let me know. I do appreciate all the input. Very much so.
Absolutely do NOT take his word for it. Finding an NSX takes patience. Many of us looked for over two years before finding the one.

Well, I am now completely confused, but on the right track. However, I have to say, that of all the communities I have been a part of, this one has really passionate and helpful subscribers.
I am a car nut and over the years have been part of many. I would say a close second was the Noble community (formerly had a Noble M12). However, it is evident that you all LOVE your cars! I look forward and am anxious to feel the same.

I appreciate the opinions immensely.

Now I just need to find a car...lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa..seems I have 2 profiles..I have to figure out how i did that?

Last edited:

He is at least 5$ over market with no service records and no documentation on the TB/WP. If I was a buyer I would absolutely have to change the TB. And service records are huge, unless the PPI includes an complete engine and transmission tear-down.

Was reading a Doug Demuro article rather than doing what I was supposed to and it seems to hit this topic on the nose, so I will copy/paste the relevant section over and link to the rest. Oh, and because I can, I swapped out the car references for NSX :p

So you spend a couple of days on the forums, and you learn all the ins and outs of the car you're considering, and eventually you head over to AutoTrader to find a good example. And this is where you learn: virtually every single car currently on the market is absolute crap.

A reader alerted me to this phenomenon a few months ago, via e-mail. He was searching for an Acura NSX , so he spent a lot of time on the forums, doing the usual: reading about all NSX issues. Meeting NSX owners. Getting acquainted with the NSX .

After a while, he moved over to the classifieds and started looking for a NSX to buy. And that's when he realized something: virtually every NSX sitting online for sale is sitting online for sale for a reason. Some have mechanical problems. Some are overpriced. Some have accident history. But whatever the reason, the cars that sit on dealer sites, month in and month out, aren't there for lack of demand. They're there because the educated swarm of interested NSX buyers has seen the car, examined the particulars, and dismissed it like an Upper East Side co-op board with an applicant named Gutierrez.

Meanwhile, the good cars – the ones you'd actually want – trade hands privately, offline, among two friends. If an ad for an excellent example of an unusual used car does reach the Internet, a cadre of interested buyers immediately calls the seller and a deal is struck that afternoon. It's a cutthroat place, the world of unusual used cars.

read more here:http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-it-s-really-really-hard-to-buy-a-rare-car-1677804276

Last edited:
Well, that may be a bit dramatic. TB/WP doesn't cost $5k. It can be done for less than $2K from a good indy shop and a good NSX tech can inspect the car quite well without tearing down the engine and transmission. Furthermore, lack of doc doesn't always mean the service was not done.

To the OP, the bottom line is to get the car(s) inspected by a reputable NSX tech and go from there. It is not realistic to valuate the car from computer keyboards. Good luck and I am sure you will find one.

He is at least 5$ over market with no service records and no documentation on the TB/WP. If I was a buyer I would absolutely have to change the TB. And service records are huge, unless the PPI includes an complete engine and transmission tear-down.

Last edited:
Interesting reading this thread, the differant views of Buyer and Seller. Buyer thinks that NSX prices increase is a bubble and will not last through the Spring, I disagree. The market did drop for all car's including NSXs during the 2008-2010, however it has rebound and is looking very strong, because the economy is better and the New NSX is a way different car from the current generation.....This alone will keep the prices higher.

just my 2 cents

Well, that may be a bit dramatic. TB/WP doesn't cost $5k. It can be done for less than $2K from a good indy shop and a good NSX tech can inspect the car quite well without tearing down the engine and transmission. Furthermore, lack of doc doesn't always mean the service was not done.

To the OP, the bottom line is to get the car(s) inspected by a reputable NSX tech and go from there. It is not realistic to valuate the car from computer keyboards. Good luck and I am sure you will find one.

Caveat Emptor. I would never buy a car that old even with that mileage without a reasonably complete service record, unless the price was just too good to pass up. And then I would wonder why it was selling so cheap. The service record does more than tell you service was performed as scheduled. It tells you the past owner(s) cared for the car enough to keep such records and to perform said maintenance in a timely fashion. It's like when simple stuff like a gauge or a trip piece is broken. It makes you wonder of there are deeper issues that have also been neglected. And any PPI is a bit of a dice roll unless the mechanic has a reputation and extensive experience. Even then the checklist on a typical PPI is not going to check every possible issue or even come close. Just as an example, how often do you think a PPI includes a valve lash check or inspection of the harmonic balancer? A PPI is still a vital investment because of what any competent mechanic WILL catch.

OK...actually, I'll say $3K over market. But I wouldn't pay over 32 for it even with the low mileage. Too many other nice ones out there if one is willing to keep looking.

Last edited:
Back