• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Price check on a 2005 with 17k miles JH4NA21605S000219

Re: Price check on a 2005 with 17k miles

Jacques,

Assuming that the guy paid $60,000.00 for the NSX and is currently registered to his dealership, therefore he would only have to pay Import duty of 6.1 % or $3660, plus shipping cost let's say $2000.00.

His cost 60K + 3660 + 2000 = $65,660.00

Second scenario:
Let's assume he did register the car as personal, then he would have to pay both (QST 8.5 + GST 5%) plus lic fees etc.

His cost would be $60 + 3660 + 2000 + 8100 = $73760.00

I also know that in Quebec one cannot have the car register to the dealership for more that one year, so this is probably why he is selling.

So I would say any price between $57 - $60 would be a great buy for this car.

LMK if you need any other info.

Bram

Jacques,

Assuming that the guy paid $60,000.00 for the NSX and is currently registered to his dealership, therefore he would only have to pay Import duty of 6.1 % or $3660, plus shipping cost let's say $2000.00.

His cost 60K + 3660 + 2000 = $65,660.00

Second scenario:
Let's assume he did register the car as personal, then he would have to pay both (QST 8.5 + GST 5%) plus lic fees etc.

His cost would be $60 + 3660 + 2000 + 8100 = $73760.00

I also know that in Quebec one cannot have the car register to the dealership for more that one year, so this is probably why he is selling.

So I would say any price between $57 - $60 would be a great buy for this car.

LMK if you need any other info.

Bram

Hi Bram,

Thanks for your reply.

I would love to buy the car but it has a lot of issues on the Carfax report. I know Carfax makes mistakes, but if I decide to sell the car in 5-6 years it's going to be a royal pain to explain myself to every buyer, especially Americans who tend to favour Carfax more.

Jacques if I were you, I would look for another nsx or go cayman if u prefer newer car. The nsx will hold value better than the Porsche though.

I think this car has been advertised for well over a year and I'm wondering why the dealership didn't move the car closer to Montreal, if only to facilitate viewing and independent inspection.

The CARFAX issue is real but there aren't many unknowns provided a PPI checks out (who could do it up there besides the Acura dealership that also sells the car?), as I understand it the only real problem is the odometer rollback. Personally, I'd be more concerned about a salvage or wreck history, it seems fair to assume that this is a fairly low mileage car anyway. If maintenance and repair records are available, it's much more important that the 2-5,000(ish) miles discrepancy.

Dash photo shows 15K miles, ad says 16k, where did you read 17k? CARFAX report on mileage is strange, it shows the car cumulated 8,000km in 4 months (2009), all in Quebec? And another 15,000km in the following 2 years? Considering that the driving season for a car like this lasts no more than 5 months per year in this part of the country, it seems excessive. Intriguing!

It is out of my price range, but I like the car!

Last edited:

well I have an idea, when it was in the states it Miles and then its off to Canada KiloM the errors could be when it changed countries and back again.

maybe a new road to think about.

I emailed the seller the carfax report. He then admitted to me that the police told him someone had stolen his VIN in Alberta and that's why there's yet another mistake on the carfax report. (because the car was apparently never in Alberta as it was directly imported to Quebec)

Then the seller tells me that he doesn't feel that I trust him enough and that he doesn't want to sell me the car anymore....!

I was about the reply to him that a VIN check is pretty standard for someone buying an NSX advertised for 80K and additional questions on a suspicious carfax are even more reasonable; but it's just not worth my time anymore.

The seller prefers to sell it to someone who ''asks less questions'' and just write him a cheque for 80k, which doesn't really match the typical NSX buyer.

I wish him good luck.

Best 45$ I ever spent. Thank you carfax.

Last edited:

so to end this thread here is the VIN one more time.

JH4NA21605S000219

I emailed the seller the carfax report. He then admitted to me that the police told him someone had stolen his VIN in Alberta and that's why there's yet another mistake on the carfax report. (because the car was apparently never in Alberta as it was directly imported to Quebec)

Even if this was true, it does not justify the two discrepancies observed in the US (2009) and in Quebec (2009-2011), omitting the Alberta entries. The seller may have additional bits of info that could explain the errors.

Finding someone in a city of 40,000 souls who'll buy this car right out without asking elementary questions could prove harder than finding a needle in a haystack! Too bad, it could nonetheless be a good example of a rare breed.

Last edited:

Then the seller tells me that he doesn't feel that I trust him enough and that he doesn't want to sell me the car anymore....!

That's weird, very sketch, smells like a scam, and enough for me to turn my back on the car for the rest of my life.

Even if this was true, it does not justify the two discrepancies observed in the US (2009) and in Quebec (2009-2011), omitting the Alberta entries. The seller may have additional bits of info that could explain the errors.

Finding someone in a city of 40,000 souls who'll buy this car right out without asking elementary questions could prove harder than finding a needle in a haystack! Too bad, it could nonetheless be a good example of a rare breed.

I agree 100%. The seller is in Rouyn-Noranda. Nice city, good people, but not exactly the kind of place where the car will get a lot of exposure.

Now I come along and am willing to drive 700kms to buy his car after he's been trying to sell it for a year and he actually tells me that he no longer wants to sell me the car further to a single simple question about the carfax report.

If he thinks it's just the buyer who is the problem he's in for a surprise when (if that ever happens) another informed potential buyer inquires about the car. I mean we're not talking about a Toyota Tercel here...and even then I would have the Tercel inspected prior to buying it...:tongue:

My two cents worth.......

When I sold my 2005 NSX there were so many Prime nose pickers who couldn't make it happen even if they really wanted my car and/or had the $. Many complaints about the price - PMs saying how unrealistic the $ was. I soon discovered Prime was not the place to sell my 2005 NSX.

The car fax showed two owners when in fact I originally leased from American Honda then bought the lease out to own it free & clear. Carfax is not the definitive answer.

For me there are buyers who are just not worth the time dealing with....the car sold quickly w/no hassle outside of Prime by a dealer who shipped the car 3000
miles (sight unseen except for photos) to a solid buyer who knew what he wanted.

Last edited:
My two cents worth.......

When I sold my 2005 NSX there were so many Prime nose pickers who couldn't make it happen even if they really wanted my car and/or had the $. Many complaints about the price - PMs saying how unrealistic the $ was. I soon discovered Prime was not the place to sell my 2005 NSX.

The car fax showed two owners when in fact I originally leased from American Honda then bought the lease out to own it free & clear. Carfax is not the definitive answer.

For me there are buyers who are just not worth the time dealing with....the car sold quickly w/no hassle outside of Prime by a dealer who shipped the car 3000
miles (sight unseen except for photos) to a solid buyer who knew what he wanted.

Would you buy a car with a VIN number that is reported stolen from federal authorities and is apparently registered in another province some 2000 miles away?

If this was just a case of having more than one owner (like it was with your car) I really would not have worried at all. I even politely asked the seller to simply let me know why the car was registered in Alberta when he was selling it in Quebec; he replied that the VIN got stolen according to the police.

While I do acknowledge that it can be quite painful to deal with certains buyers (I feel your pain), I think that a reasonably informed buyer would hesitate to buy the car I was looking at based on what I mentioned.

In my opinion, CarFax isn't all it is made up to be. Most cars have some type of damage at some point. CarFax only shows damage that is reported to them. Makes cars that have a mark on its CarFax less valuable than a car with the same exact damage that was never reported to CarFax.

Personally, I take CarFax with a grain of salt.

Remember this....there are not many 2005 NSX's out there. Only around 300 were ever made. This, alone, makes them hard to find and more valuable. It took me over 2 yers to find a 2005 in red that had a fair price. I snapped it up the day I saw it!

Don't sweat too much if you cannot find the "perfect" 2005. You will lose time you could have spent enjoying the car! Get one that is close to what you want, tweak it to get it the way you want it, and have fun.

The car will never lose a ton of value as this was the last year they were made! CarFax, paint work, etc., really isn't going to have more than a 5% affect on the price in my opinion...at least that is what I would expect if I was a buyer. Get'em while you can!

Back