• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pricing announced

I am going to wait a year, post a FB page stating, "If you would like to discreetly sell your NSX, give me a ring " and see if I can pick one up for under $100K.

Yeah, I am an optimist.

I am going to wait a year, post a FB page stating, "If you would like to discreetly sell your NSX, give me a ring " and see if I can pick one up for under $100K.

Yeah, I am an optimist.
Cars in this price range drop like a rock. You can buy a McLaren for 80-90k off in one year from new. The NSX will drop too.

This will be interesting to see... Depends on the reliability IMO

I worry quite a bit about reliability in the first year of this car. There is a lot of new (and complicated) technology in this car. Honda makes great cars, but that's a lot of stuff to get right.

Although I am an attorney, I would not like to exercise my legal rights to obtain a MSRP transaction.

As a fellow member of the bar, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you have a "legal right" to buy the NSX at MSRP. Depending on your agreement, you may have a contractual right, but no independent legal right. When ordering high demand cars, I always clearly and expressly specify that the price will be MSRP.

I have heard of Acura dealers asking as much as $75,000 over MSRP. Some dealers are putting their initial allocations up for auction and/or implementing a competitive bidding process to extract the greatest premium possible. I know of one dealership that has already sold more cars than its first year of allocations, and is now seeking premiums for second and third year allocations. More than one dealer is asking for a $50,000 non-refundable deposit. Many dealers speak in terms of "market" pricing.

The NSX presents a unique situation for Acura dealerships. First, dealerships have to invest considerable sums to become a certified NSX dealer. If the dealership is only expecting 2-3 NSXs per year, it will take some time to recoup their initial investment, and they are using premiums to recoup their investment sooner. Second, the typical NSX buyer is not a return Acura customer and probably will not purchase another Acura. Therefore, the notion of developing a relationship and return customers is not applicable. In general, these are one and done customers. Therefore, dealerships do not care if their pricing policies engender ill will among buyers. Third, given the complexity of the cars, NSX buyers will not have options for servicing their car; rather, they will generally be reliant on the dealership. This gives the dealership additional leverage.

The premiums will eventually disappear. It might be six months . . . . it might be eighteen months . . . . but eventually prices will settle down. They always do. I just hope that, in the long run, the new NSX holds its value similar to the original . . . . I kinda doubt it, but lets hope.

Here's a price list for the 540C options. I suspect the 570S options are priced the same or higher. It appears a fully loaded 570S will likely exceed $240,000. So why is the slower and less technologically advanced 570S a good value, but the NSX is overpriced?

540_1.png

- - - Updated - - -

It's interesting how Acura chose to disclose both the base and fully loaded prices in their press release. Yet if you look at McLaren's press releases they never disclose the fully loaded price. Acura wants everyone to perceive the new NSX as exotic and high end due to the price, while McLaren mostly wants you to perceive the 570S as being semi affordable. The main goal of the NSX is to build up the image of the Acura brand, not to sell tons of NSX's. Whereas McLaren would simply like to sell as many 570S as possible.

Last edited:
As a fellow member of the bar, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you have a "legal right" to buy the NSX at MSRP. Depending on your agreement, you may have a contractual right, but no independent legal right. When ordering high demand cars, I always clearly and expressly specify that the price will be MSRP.
I agree, it sounds like he may have a contractual right depending on the "contract" document received.
My local dealer accepted my $1000 deposit for their first NSX slot with no pricing agreement, only a confirmation email and CC receipt. They then decided to issue a credit and told me they will sell them at market pricing to the highest bidder and would not guarantee me a car. This was long before anyone was even guessing pricing would be in this range (which is over mine anyway).
I predict after the initial 2017 model year the NSX will be readily available with no market adjustment, especially at this price range, and you will also benefit from the inevitable updates they will come up. So unless anyone plans on dying during the next year, I'd wait!

With the exception of the first couple years of the gen 1 NSX, dealers struggled to sell the cars without giving big discounts, cheap AHFC leases and so on.

For example in 1999, purchased my new Zanardi for MSRP -$10K (5 from the dealer and 5 from Acura). My 2005 GPW...$89.7 MSRP - purchased new @ little over $75K before TTL.

Great cars, but......

Time is on your side folks.

The online configuration for the public to custom order the NSX starts on Feb 25 2016, but when is it actually the customer will have the key? Spring 2016 can be confusing. Anybody know precisely which month is it going to be?

I reached an agreement with my dealer's 's (same oneI use for my '05 RL) Sales manager and GM. That was back in late June 2013 just a few weeks after retiring. I rationalized this car (though sooner availability, cheaper and a less performing model assumed) as my dream and perhaps ultimate retirement present to self. We agreed on a $5k deposit (same as I did for my GT-R preorder back in '08 with my Nissan dealer SM and GM). What I got in return from my Acura dealer was a signed (by all three of us) sales agreement for 1'st order at MSRP, aith notes I pick paint color, interior color, and any options... since all those details were unknowns. There were two adders on that sales agreement (contract). Glass etching at $299 and Dealer Convenience fee of $399. I didn't like those adders but they go with the turf and I just view them as a $700 total markup over MSRP to be the first order with my dealer.Back when I pre-ordered my initial year of gen 5 (R35) GT-R in Feb '08, the best I could arrange eventually (after a lot of haggling) was $5K over MSRP. That was first time I agreed to buy a car at over MSRP vs under. But after my extensive efforts with numerous "Authorized Dealers" in a 1000 mile radius, I decided it was best I could do... plus he was quite local. Back then it was rumored that Nissan was initially selling at a slight loss and in hindsight it seems that was true. The same car I ordered went up each year, (though with some annual upgrades/improvements) now has an MSRP ~ $32K more than mine. So in hindsight I'm OK with how much over I paid over MSRP back then. We'll see how similarly (or not) things work out on my 2017 NSX.

I have heard of Acura dealers asking as much as $75,000 over MSRP.

Let's assume this buyer goes all out in addition to paying the markup. We're talking about a 300k Acura here. Most current NSX owners are very PROUD and happy Acura (Honda) owners. Some of us own the nsx because of the cost/benefit/value, and can certainly afford more expensive cars. I just find a 75k markup INSANE. It is my opinion that many people who purchase cars in this price range pay for the name/prestige... I just don't see it happening for an Acura.

The 570S in this video has $70,000 in options (see 0:31 into the video). Thus the total price is $255,000 making the 570S significantly more expensive than a highly spec'd NSX. The only McLaren that's truly priced in the same range as the NSX is the 540C which provides an obviously inferior level of performance.

If I'm not mistaken, the Canadian MSRP for a 2005 NSX-T was 142,000$.

189,900$ doesn't sound out of line.
Yes, BUT when I walked into the dealer to buy my 2002, the MSRP may have been $145k, but they were asking $125k. I offered them $90k, said take it or leave it. I walked out and they called the same day and told me to come pick up my new NSX.

One thing surprises me about the upcoming 2017 NSX enthusiasm level.

Comparing quantity of posts & the overall excitement for the Gen 2 NSX forum section vs what the forum waiting games were on the 991, 991 GT3 & RS version/ C7Z06-07 / Gen 5 Viper etc etc...this place
is dullsville. Not much crossover from other marque owners.

I don't see how this will have a good ending.

The new 570S McLaren is ballpark the same $$ and pretty much rave reviews & enthusiasm across the boards is my observation.

I really don't understand how car purchasing can vary so much. In the uk, I'd never dream of paying a dealer over the rrp. They just wouldn't ask for it. You place your order, at the price it's listed and wait for delivery. I feel cheated if I don't get a discount, paying over just wouldn't happen.

With the NSX, it was £5000 refundable deposit to get in the queue for the first delivery and then just wait.

Now I'm wondering where the uk price will end up. Some say work out the exchange rate like the AMG -140k dollars £95k trouble is it's an eu origin car. Then others believe it will be dollar for pound which has been known to happen. I think it will be closer to the GTR, 100k dollars - £80k.

Troubke is the us manufacturer makes it all a bit unknown.

I'm quite certain it'll sell the supposed 800 projected units easily if the reviews of the performance are decent not completely botched.

The new NSX is getting bashed online in all the forums I've read -- including this one which should theoretically be the most enthusiastic. Add that to the crazy (yes, crazy) price tag and it could be bad news for Acura. I have no doubt they can sell 800 units but it's really, really sad if the new NSX is not well received. I hope it's much better than the lukewarm reviews and negative attitudes make it out to be. But, given how long we have waited, it's a major letdown that we are all not frothing at the mouth with excitement for its release.

Ideally, one should be able to walk out the door with all taxes and fees at $150k max but instead it could be close to $220k. And that pricing makes all the difference in the world on the perception of the car because of associated expectations.

The new NSX is getting bashed online in all the forums I've read -- including this one which should theoretically be the most enthusiastic. Add that to the crazy (yes, crazy) price tag and it could be bad news for Acura. I have no doubt they can sell 800 units but it's really, really sad if the new NSX is not well received. I hope it's much better than the lukewarm reviews and negative attitudes make it out to be. But, given how long we have waited, it's a major letdown that we are all not frothing at the mouth with excitement for its release.

Ideally, one should be able to walk out the door with all taxes and fees at $150k max but instead it could be close to $220k. And that pricing makes all the difference in the world on the perception of the car because of associated expectations.

Imagine the forums when the first gen NSX was ~$90K MSRP for 270-290 hp. Wait, I was around then. The general car forums all said it's nice car, but I'd rather buy "Insert" the forum's car specialty then own buy an under-powered NSX, let alone pay $40K for a 10 year old one.

But the original NSX was a stylistic masterpiece. I knew I loved it when I saw it. I have to talk myself into liking this one. And that's a problem (regardless of how good the car is).

But the original NSX was a stylistic masterpiece. I knew I loved it when I saw it. I have to talk myself into liking this one. And that's a problem (regardless of how good the car is).

This is true, when I first saw it my reaction was damn it's like a Lamborghini had a baby with Ferrari, but I can't take my eyes off of it!

However, for me and like many, the larger concern is the actual hybrid drivetrain's effectiveness and long-term sustainability.

Also, many early reviewers believed Honda's styling to be derivative or second-hand to other European labels back in the 90s. Most reviews of the new NSX have stated they like the look even if it contrasts in stark direction from the original's elegance.

Either way, there are always going to be haters. Someone out there now, a 240SX, 3000GT, 300ZX, MR2, etc. tuner believes that there car is better than someone else's simply because they make more whp.

I'll wait for some real-world analysis before making any definitive opinion about the car. I find it interesting that people can be either so PRO or ANTI this early aside from subjective takes such as design/chassis/etc. However, I will say the new NSX doesn't "grab" me the way I had hoped and this is an early failure IMO and echoed by many others. I felt similarly about the styling of the E92 M3 when it came out (being an E46 owner) and wasn't too enthusiastic about it.

I'm holding out hope that the NSX 2 will be better than the reviews and commentary on the Internet suggest. Long-term reliability will only be an issue if one is interested in purchasing the car in the first place.

As I have said many times before, I don't think that the new NSX is comparable to the Porsche 911, Ferrari 458 / 488 or McLaren 540 / 570 / 650 etc. as these cars do not have the innovative hybrid element. Nor is the new NSX comparable to the 918, LaFerrari or McLaren P1, as these cars are already sold-out, and in another league, both price- and performance-wise. The new NSX fits in between, taking the extreme out of the equation of the three ultra-hybrids and coming in above the regular, petrol-engined similarly-price competition, to create a new sector of just one (for the moment). Sure, there are other cars available with greater bhp, but none with that combination of technology, style and performance, at a price that is (rightly so) a mere fraction of the hyper cars of just a few years ago.

As I have said many times before, I don't think that the new NSX is comparable to the Porsche 911, Ferrari 458 / 488 or McLaren 540 / 570 / 650 etc. as these cars do not have the innovative hybrid element. Nor is the new NSX comparable to the 918, LaFerrari or McLaren P1, as these cars are already sold-out, and in another league, both price- and performance-wise. The new NSX fits in between, taking the extreme out of the equation of the three ultra-hybrids and coming in above the regular, petrol-engined similarly-price competition, to create a new sector of just one (for the moment). Sure, there are other cars available with greater bhp, but none with that combination of technology, style and performance, at a price that is (rightly so) a mere fraction of the hyper cars of just a few years ago.

That is pretty much what Ted had told us when the car was in its infancy.....so good analysis

Well Stated!
I view the NSX making a similar dent to higher priced rivals for what it can do... much like the original did and the GT-R did more recently. Affordable (within reason) and reliable alternative that makes a statement on what can be done.

Back