• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prime Always been like this

I seem to be seeing a lot of I want a prestine NSX for next to nothing. Like $20000 for a low milage, well maintained car....has this been going on for awhile and I have not noticed it? No offense tomthose asking, they will figure it out eventually. I know the NSX is becoming more affordable, but whats with all the people expecting a steal.

If I were you, I wouldn't state how much I would be willing to spend. I just state what I am looking for and let the sellers tell me how much they want to sell. Start negotiating from there if the asking price is close to your budget. Just don't be a low baller though.

enesexo I didn't even noticed your post. I am just saying in general. I have noticed a lot of people coming expecting a steal or expecting to low ball owners that are selling theirs. Don't get insulted, just I have noticed a lot of it lately, mainly from users with 1 or 2 posts on Prime.

My experience is you never get what you want if you don't ask for it first.

That being said, I don't know anyone who would jump at a chance to sell their NSX to someone asking for a steal.

An NSX is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but there is a market price range for these cars because they have a value and they are now more rare than ever before. (there are fewer NSXs available every day)

Many NSX owners now register and insure these cars as classics. That involves getting an appraisal of value. This kind of thing also helps set that "market value" range.

I know plenty of NSX owners that have cars that meet the criteria that low ballers are looking to buy. None of them would consider selling for that $22k range because that is not the market for one of these cars.

I do think the prices have gone up a tad bit. 3 years ago I sold my 91 with 103k on it for 21k. Pretty good shape too. I saw afterwards a Random Acura dealer had it for sale for 27,900. And I think someone here bought it.

same car now is probably around 25k.

Last edited:
Prices bottomed out in 2009-2010. They are going back up for decent examples of all years, though the 2002-2005 still seem to be a little depressed. The sub-20,000 cars you are seeing are very rough and usually need at least $10,000 in work to get them right again. That hasn't changed. I suppose that won't stop a kid from picking one up for $15k, beating the crap out of it for a year, showing off to his friends, and then dumping it when it finally breaks down.

My experience is you never get what you want if you don't ask for it first.

That being said, I don't know anyone who would jump at a chance to sell their NSX to someone asking for a steal.

An NSX is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but there is a market price range for these cars because they have a value and they are now more rare than ever before. (there are fewer NSXs available every day)

Many NSX owners now register and insure these cars as classics. That involves getting an appraisal of value. This kind of thing also helps set that "market value" range.

I know plenty of NSX owners that have cars that meet the criteria that low ballers are looking to buy. None of them would consider selling for that $22k range because that is not the market for one of these cars.

I'm definitely not a low baller I could have bought a nice nsx not to long ago but instead opted for the evo and other toys now some things have changed and don't have such a high budget anymore. Oh well I might just delete the whole thing and just wait. I love this forum and I don't even own an nsx lol.:tongue:

Last edited:
I hope you're not referring to mine!:redface:

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162291

I think for 22k you will only find one that IS due for tb/wp straight away. I paid more than that for mine (granted it's a targa and not an earlier couple like you are looking for) and I took it straight to the shop for $3500 worth of work.

People who are selling that low generally are doing it because they can't or don't want to do the tb/wp/etc.

Other way to get 22k and below is salvage title but you want to be REAL careful with those - I would only really buy a salvage car if the rebuild was extensively documented here on Prime (which they sometimes are!)

I think while there is a price disconnect between some buyers and sellers, they tend to be outliers and dreamers rather than serious shoppers/owners. You are always going to have opportunists looking to prey on the desperate/ignorant, and most of the time they are going to be unsuccessful but that doesn't stop them from trying. :)

If anything, the lowball offers seem to indicate increased interest in the car--increased interest from potential owners that are looking for a bargain.

Unless the lowball estimates are coming from ex 02-05 owners, or owners that recently purchased a vehicle, you can pretty much discredit them right off the bat.

I feel for them, though. I went through the same thing when I was younger and looking for a Toyota Supra. Sorry to break it to them, but owners command the market. Supra prices are still about the same for those pristine examples worth buying. I still see low-mileage models selling for close to, at, or above the original MSRP.

You don't like the price? I feel for ya. I really do. Hell, I think the price of Jackson Pollack paintings are absurd. $120 million for a painting that has no utility? But I have no place speculating on and estimating the price of one.

I think while there is a price disconnect between some buyers and sellers, they tend to be outliers and dreamers rather than serious shoppers/owners. You are always going to have opportunists looking to prey on the desperate/ignorant, and most of the time they are going to be unsuccessful but that doesn't stop them from trying. :)

The ones with cash in their pockets understand the meaning of, "you get what you pay for". Any of us selling our NSX are usually in a position to wait for the perfect buyer, and the perfect buyer is usually waiting for the perfect car. You find that combination and everyone wins.

It took me a long time, nearly 2 years of casually looking and just waiting for the right car to come available. Once I found it, I flew across the country to hand over a check to ship the car back home. Patience is a virtue.

For 22k you are only going to find ones with all the things in your list that you don't want. Those are the ones that go for 22k

For 22k you are only going to find ones with all the things in your list that you don't want. Those are the ones that go for 22k

There is always exceptions to the rule though. There are always deals out there on higher mileage maintained examples. Or you could become a car dealer and hope an nsx comes through auction. I remember back in 09 I had bought my 91 I had for 14k with 99k. Clean title. Never wrecked. Just had some faded paint on the black roof. Simple fix. Deals are out there you just have to be patient and act fast with cash in Hand. Tooooo many vultures out there!

Last edited:
there is always exceptions to the rule though. There are always deals out there on higher mileage maintained examples. Or you could become a car dealer and hope an nsx comes through auction. I remember back in 09 i had bought my 91 i had for 14k with 99k. Clean title. Never wrecked. Just had some faded paint on the black roof. Simple fix. Deals are out there you just have to be patient and act fast with cash in hand. Tooooo many vultures out there!

+1000000

It was not always like that but now it's very common. I lovemy car but I use to like it much better back when you use to need to make a nice income to get one. Now the people who are buying them could work in a 30k a year job and buy a beat up nsx. I will get a lot of heat for saying this but the quality of people who are getting nsx's has dropped. I hope the new nsx looks as good as the old one when it comes out so I could buy one and hopefully it will be like in the good old days.

Not directed at anyone in particular:

I have no problem with young guys that admire, but don't come on here as a newbie lowballing people and acting as if you are an expert on prices.

I wouldn't even mind if you said "I wished the price was ....", but don't start spewing nonsense about how a particular owner's car is only worth xxx because of this and that.

It was not always like that but now it's very common. I lovemy car but I use to like it much better back when you use to need to make a nice income to get one. Now the people who are buying them could work in a 30k a year job and buy a beat up nsx. I will get a lot of heat for saying this but the quality of people who are getting nsx's has dropped. I hope the new nsx looks as good as the old one when it comes out so I could buy one and hopefully it will be like in the good old days.

I agree, and I also hate the riff raff that comes with the immature kids. I'm very selective about where I take my car just for that reason.

Is this a SoCal phenomenon? I have not noticed this occurring in AZ, the quality of NSX owners here has remained about the same or better IMO. I think we have a really good AZ crew (especially the ones that participate on Prime); I just wish we got together more often.

...Now the people who are buying them could work in a 30k a year job and buy a beat up nsx.
Yeah, we certainly don't want to own the same model car as those smelly lower-middle income people, like cops, firefighters, teachers...you know who I'm talking about.

...I will get a lot of heat for saying this but the quality of people who are getting nsx's has dropped.

Way to class up the forum.

Consider this post heat, in lieu of what I'd like to say but have the good manners not to.

Last edited:

Wow, one of the more ignorant things I've read on Prime. I doubt F-car enthusiasts look down on each other in such an elitist fasion.:frown:

Lol who cares how much one makes. We share one thing in common. Our passion for the nsx. If you can't respect that and insist on judging others based on their income, maybe you don't belong here.

Lol who cares how much one makes. We share one thing in common.
I agree. We're here because we're car people, and love the NSX. Period. I would hate for someone to judge me simply because I couldn't afford to buy one. Actually, I wouldn't want to associate with anyone that thought less of me for that reason.

I doubt many of us like it if Ferrari/Lambo owners turned their noses up at us because our badge isn't as exclusive as theirs. True car enthusiasts shouldn't treat their cars as status symbols.

Remember: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Exotic_Owners_Code_of_Conduct

• I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I met.
  • Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In-particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.
  • I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow-up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.
  • I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.

Back