• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Problem with STOPTECK ST40 BBk

Hi all!

I am curently installing a ST40 BBK I bought new not long ago..
I was working on the rear left rotor and was fixing the caliper to it's bracket when something
went wrong.. :(( .
As specified on the provided manual, I tryied to tighten the bolts at 45 ft-lbs ( I even put less, 43 ).
Unfortunatly, both of the rod's thread were damaged and I never felt like it was tightened.., It kept turning and turning without resistance.. :(

k06u.jpg

2chc.jpg

As that bracket was definitly unusable, I tried with the other one, since they are identical for each side..
This time I started with a low 35 ft/lbs to be sure It would not fail but guess what!! I didn't take it off but I'm
quite sure it's damaged again because it keeps turning witout much resistance once more...

I really don't understand what went wrong and it makes me so angry now.. :mad::mad:

I'd like to know if any of you had this kind of issue or if I'm the only one?!? :/

It's savable. You'll need to get a heli-coil kit and install it. You can get them most any reputable automotive parts house. Me personally, I would have used some red threadlock and hand tightened it. The allen head insert screws will keep it in place. Are you sure it called for ft. LBS and not inch LBS? In any case it's still usable.

Last edited:
40-45 ft-lbs is correct. Was the caliper actually on there when you were tightening? Why do you say you were tightening the "bolts"? You should have been tightening the nuts. I'm pretty sure the studs (not bolts) should have been pre-installed by StopTech. In the picture I think I see a washer between the stud shank and the bracket--that's a problem right there. Sorry bro, I think you took a wrong turn on this one. It happens to everyone who spends enough time with a wrench in hand, and I've had a bigger screw up. It's a learning event. I would get new brackets/studs, as the studs are match-installed to the calipers with shear tight holes (we're probably talking .0005 to .002 max clearance--just guessing based on years of experience). Any repair performed could risk messing up that relationship, either positional or clocking. You can ask StopTech for advice, but at the end of the day, let's not take chances with our brakes.

If in fact you tightened them to 45 ft.lb. and they stripped, I would certainly call stoptech - I have installed so many of these and never had any issues.

Hi Guys

Thank you very much for your answers!

To answer Davidf, I allready looked at Helicoil but I talked to a proffesionnal guy doing that kind of repair allmost everyday on engines and
he told me they don't use that kind of tool anymore.. Not reliable enough.. They use Time-serts instead.

To answer Daedalus, You are right! I mixed the two words Studs and Bolts :/ Sorry for my english :)
As you mentioned, Studs were pre-installed by Stoptech.
But what's wrong with the washer? In the install manual it actually says :" Install the Jet nuts onto each stud
with one 12 mm washer under each nut "....

Anyway, no need to search anymore because I think I found out what went wrong now... :((
One hour after I wrote this topic, my torque wrench literally died!! So I'm quite sure now
that I wasn't putting the right torque anymore on the last nuts I tightened... :(

I know I'm supposed to buy this part to the dealer I purchased the BBK from but I'm really not sure he can do that for me.. The shop is in Japan..
Anyone knows someone who would be kind enough to sale me this kind of item?

Many thanks again!

You can't buy directly from Stoptech?

no..
I wrote them allready and all I can say is that I had a very quick and detailled answer but
unfortunatly they also told me that they couldn't sell me directly.. :(

I found a shop in the US selling this specific part but they won't ship internationally :(

Last edited:
I'm willing to get the part for you and ship to you. Let me know the part # and the shop you talked to and I'll get it and ship it to you. Shoot me a PM.

no..
I wrote them allready and all I can say is that I had a very quick and detailled answer but
unfortunatly they also told me that they couldn't sell me directly.. :(

I found a shop in the US selling this specific part but they won't ship internationally :(

Back