• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Product Review:Comptech/Supertrapp Exhaust

Edo

Experienced Member
I recently re-built a junked Comptech/Supertrapp exhaust. It is basically 2 Motorcycle Mufflers bolted side by side with a small amount of piping and welding done by Comptech. I spoke to Shad at Comptech, and it was his understanding that each Supertrapp setup was built on a case by case basis, and were not exactly "perfect" like most of Comptech's other products.

The Welds for the piping are very clean and very well done. Unfortunately, the mufflers, and the Exhaust connections from the muffler to tip leave quite a bit to be desired. Initially when I refurbished this exhaust, I could not find the Core peices that fit. Either Comptech used an odd part or the Supertrapp Rep didnt know squat about his product. Almost 3 months after I started searching for replacement Core peices, We (Acura of Portland a I) finally ended up purchasing ones that were too long and cutting them down. Supertrapp advertises that you can adjust the backpressure by removing or adding diffuser discs on the muffler peice. It is not NEARLY as easy as it sounds and consequently I have not adjusted the number of discs at all.

Second, the connection from the muffler to the tip was done somewhat poorly, and it leaked just a bit of exhaust. Since this exhaust was made as a race-only exhaust I would venture to guess that a small amount of sputtering coming from the exhaust was not a problem. On the street it becomes incredibly irritating. This was cured by welding on some flanges that were a little less prone to leaking.

Lastly, the packing material provided by Supertrapp melted and blew into the diffuser discs nearly clogging the exhaust. Shad at Comptech recommended using Steel wool instead. I have not tried this yet.

So far, of all the exhausts I have heard the Supertrapp's are by FAR the loudest. (12 discs no packing material). At high load, low RPM's the sound is loud enough to drown out everything. ABSOLUTELY everything. It gets a little less loud as the RPM's go up.
The sound is halfway between RM's deep bass, and Comptech's slightly higher pitched note. I have been told that it sounds alot like a Honda Motorcycle when revving.

All in all, in spite of all the problems, this exhaust is my favorite mod and I wouldnt part with it for my life. Unless MaoMaoNsx gave me his exhaust
smile.gif

Back