• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Project X Customs- Private Chicago Shop for NSX Repair/Services

It's not very often I put my name on the line and give a "vouch" to a shop, but after working with these folks for several years- I highly recommend Project X Customs in Schaumburg, IL.

They have several mechanics and fabricators, but Eli (Certified Master Mechanic) is the only guy (other then Ted at Mullers Acura) who touches my car. He's already done several NSX Timing Belt/water pumps this summer and hasn't really done more because they have never promoted/advertised their business here on Prime. He even installed my Umbrella air ride kit in record time three years ago!

Give 'em a call and tell them Synth sent ya!

Project X Customs
645 Morse Avenue Schaumburg, IL 60193
(224) 653-8851

Thanks Synth... been tryin to get one for so long -- finally got it! btw, i told PX that I was referred by you

Anyone had their TB/WP done at this shop? Do they buy all Honda OEM parts and show you receipts, etc? Or perhaps I could buy the parts and provide them?

My car is in need of that service and I would like to try out the shop.

Anyone had their TB/WP done at this shop? Do they buy all Honda OEM parts and show you receipts, etc? Or perhaps I could buy the parts and provide them?

My car is in need of that service and I would like to try out the shop.

You can purchase yourself, or the will purchase original OEM for you.

Any updates? I need a clutch done,but want more feedback.Sounds like Mullers prices are high.

Any updates? I need a clutch done,but want more feedback.Sounds like Mullers prices are high.

Muller's prices are incredibly high... or maybe I'm just cheap. They wanted 2800 dollars for a timing belt job.

UPDATE - 2400 dollars, not 2800 dollars.

Last edited:
Muller's prices are incredibly high... or maybe I'm just cheap. They wanted 2800 dollars for a timing belt job.

I talked to John V. from Brookfield Acura in Wisconsin during the recent NSXCA dinner and he told me it would cost around $1600 including parts.

I talked to John V. from Brookfield Acura in Wisconsin during the recent NSXCA dinner and he told me it would cost around $1600 including parts.

I need to give them a call then - I responded back to Mullers about how the price was far too high and they never got back to me - obviously didn't want the business.

Tangoman,

If you need help, then I live in the north Naperville area. I think I met you at the recent NSX dinner. Vasos has the experience with race and street NSXs. Nothing wrong with others. I go to Milwaukee frequently with my NSX for service since it is mainly track based now. If you want me to tow it up and drop it off, then let me know. I have towed the NSX in my trailer many times up to AOB/Vasos. That goes for anyone else as well in the Chicagoland area. Thanks.

Tangoman,

If you need help, then I live in the north Naperville area. I think I met you at the recent NSX dinner. Vasos has the experience with race and street NSXs. Nothing wrong with others. I go to Milwaukee frequently with my NSX for service since it is mainly track based now. If you want me to tow it up and drop it off, then let me know. I have towed the NSX in my trailer many times up to AOB/Vasos. That goes for anyone else as well in the Chicagoland area. Thanks.

Good to hear your alive,AJ. I need to get in touch with John,didn't get his card or info at the dinner,oops.anyways,you guys still going to Autobahn this month? Let me know if you are,thanks.R

I reached out to Project X last summer about a timing belt and water pump. They didn't seem to want to do it and never got back to me, hopefully that has changed.

I had Muller's do it for 1700. Went back to Muller's two weeks ago... They wanted 2400 for one banks cam plugs, and vtec solenoid gaskets with a compression check and plug change. The compression check was 120, but they wanted to charge another 400 to change the plugs? I argued the jobs aren't each separate. Ted isn't going to do the comp check, put the old plugs back in... Then start the new job of changing them. Same goes for the cam plugs... Service writer said that's how it is... I said not for me. I don't know what's happened to Muller's.

Sorry I missed the dinner... I really wanted to go but was stuck traveling that week.

Please keep us informed of local track days as I for one would love to go and meet you local NSX owners I missed be not attending the dinner.

Last edited:
I reached out to Project X last summer about a timing belt and water pump. They didn't seem to want to do it and never got back to me, hopefully that has changed.

I had Muller's do it for 1700. Went back to Muller's two weeks ago... They wanted 2400 for one banks cam plugs, and vtec solenoid gaskets with a compression check and plug change. The compression check was 120, but they wanted to charge another 400 to change the plugs? I argued the jobs aren't each separate. Ted isn't going to do the comp check, put the old plus back in... Then start the new job of changing them. Same goes for the cam plugs... Service writer said that's how it is... I said not for me. I don't know what's happened to Muller's.

Sorry I missed the dinner... I really wanted to go but was such traveling that week.

Please keep us informed of local track days as I for one would love to go and meet you local NSX owners I missed be not attending the dinner.

Wow,that's to bad.Before I got my car in March,I thought Mullers was the go to place,and it was close. Now what,I have to go to Wissconsin?

Most Acura/Honda dealerships are not really interested in cars that are old. There is a lack of experienced NSX technicians, it is hard to work on at times, parts are limited, and more money to be made on newer models. Sad to say, but the speaking with Honda factory reps really are not much help either. Only people like Vasos, Shad Huntley, Cody, SOS, Dali and others have a true passion for the NSX. Many older prime members don't even post on prime anymore bc of the same reasons. They have moved on and this is the reality.

But we are always around to help those who have the "passion."

Wow,that's to bad.Before I got my car in March,I thought Mullers was the go to place,and it was close. Now what,I have to go to Wissconsin?

Mullers wanted to charge me separate for the timing cover and water pump... 300 dollars more than just buying the kit that came with both parts. No reason why they'd do this other than to rip me off. I'll give the Wisconsin dealer a call and see what they say.

Sorry, but I flat-out don't believe what you're posting about Muller's, Tangoman. You claimed they told you they charge $2800 to change the timing belt, but foobot paid $1700, a price that's entirely believable. So the price you posted is pure BS. Now you're claiming that they are charging you extra for two parts when one is available, and yet again, what you're posting doesn't make sense and I just don't believe it. I'm not aware of a "kit" that comes with a timing belt cover - heck, I'm not sure of the need to replace the timing belt cover, either - but I'd be happy to look into what you seem to be claiming. Send me a PM with the part numbers of what you're talking about and I'll be happy to verify for you what parts they would actually be using and whether the "kit" you're referring to actually exists and could be used. Otherwise, it sounds like the problem isn't Muller's, it's you - sounds like you like to make stuff up, and complain here about stuff you made up that isn't true.

I'm not saying Muller's is the cheapest place around; I know their labor rates are somewhat higher than at Acura of Brookfield. But you also don't have to drive 100 miles to get there from Chicago, and you don't have to kill three hours to drop the car off and another three hours to pick the car up.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I flat-out don't believe what you're posting about Muller's, Tangoman. You claimed they told you they charge $2800 to change the timing belt, but foobot paid $1700, a price that's entirely believable. So the price you posted is pure BS. Now you're claiming that they are charging you extra for two parts when one is available, and yet again, what you're posting doesn't make sense and I just don't believe it. I'm not aware of a "kit" that comes with a timing belt cover - heck, I'm not sure of the need to replace the timing belt cover, either - but I'd be happy to look into what you seem to be claiming. Send me a PM with the part numbers of what you're talking about and I'll be happy to verify for you what parts they would actually be using and whether the "kit" you're referring to actually exists and could be used. Otherwise, it sounds like the problem isn't Muller's, it's you - sounds like you like to make stuff up, and complain here about stuff you made up that isn't true.

I'm not saying Muller's is the cheapest place around; I know their labor rates are somewhat higher than at Acura of Brookfield. But you also don't have to drive 100 miles to get there from Chicago, and you don't have to kill three hours to drop the car off and another three hours to pick the car up.

You're right, I just looked back at my other thread - 2400 dollars. This was just a couple of months ago, not "last summer" like Footbot.

Read this thread. Scanned the quote and everything just for you sir :)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...rt-numbers-for-a-complete-timing-belt-kit-job
Larry B confirmed the kit. PM me your email address and I'll forward you the email from Muller's dated February 16th.

I don't have enough free time to go on the internet and fabricate stories... I was legitimately upset with the price they gave me. I responded to them in email form to try to work out a better price and they didn't get back to me - I can send you that email as well if you'd like.

I mentioned in another thread that I'm sure Ted does great work I just can't afford him... would love to bring my car to him if I could :(
This is why I asked about ProjectX's prices because I hoped they were a cheaper alternative and since Synth recommends them I figure they're the real deal.

Oh and yea, unwarranted personal attacks are very mature. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Well, at a minimum, it sounds like that "$2800" timing belt change is actually under $2100, assuming that they would be willing to order the "-305" part for the water pump assembly set, rather than the separate water pump and timing cover. Let me see what I can find out from them about pricing for the job. I'll report back!

2800 was definitely my memory being a little off but I'm offended you assumed that I made the entire "kit" up out of thin air.... I am surprised you have not come across it before now.

Either way, unfortunately they did not respond when I asked them about the kit. I didn't push further because I tend to shy away from any dealer (really any company for that matter) that can cut hundreds of dollars off the cost of something if I second guess it... I wonder about everyone who didn't second guess the price and got a bad deal.

I really expected them to put their best foot forward without me knowing more about the parts required than they do. Maybe my standards are too high. Luckily this forum is such a good resource I've learned that I can do this job with the help of a mechanic friend for 700 dollars in parts! Sold!

Well, at a minimum, it sounds like that "$2800" timing belt change is actually under $2100, assuming that they would be willing to order the "-305" part for the water pump assembly set, rather than the separate water pump and timing cover. Let me see what I can find out from them about pricing for the job. I'll report back!

Please do! I would like to do business with them if they are reasonable.if something has happened to their pricing,please find out why. If new personnel are involved they need to be educated on short term greed,verses long term business,and reputation!

Back