• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

prospective new owner

Hi,

I'm looking to pickup a RHD NSX from the car auctions in japan.

Hope to post up some pictures soon.

meanwhile, any brokers about?

A friend and fellow nsx prime member mentioned there would be some reputable brokers are nsx owners too.

Please chime in if you can.

Thanks!

I'm not a broker, but I purchased my car from a dealer while still living in Japan and have taken a look at several that have passed through the auctions, some good some bad. There is a Kiwi by the name of Steve Johnson on the Prime facebook group that is an NSX owner and broker in Yokohama.

If I wasn't going to spend another 2 years in Japan at the time, I would have purchased a US car upon returning because they seem to have better records and fewer stories. My car was nice, but it had no record of a timing belt change. A cheap MT NSX on auction might be more trouble than it's worth, and (IMHO) it's not substantially different enough to warrant a premium. Though, with overall NSX demand high and supply scarce, it allows another avenue to purchase.

If you don't mind. Post up the links to the cars you're considering.

Nice to see another Z owner on the forums, i am working on a 74 260z w/ a rb25det swap in it.

currently reinforcing the chassis to take the power it will make.

I missed the last nsx at auction, but if i do see another one, i can post it up or direct msg.

can you forward steve's info to me when you get a chance?

Thanks.

I only know how to get in touch with him via Facebook since I don't think he's on Prime here and I don't have his email. He is a very avid poster on the Facebook group though and he oftentimes posts his NSX auction finds among other rare cars since he's always there.

Do you have any pics of the Z? My '72 is torn down to almost nothing in my parents' garage in TN and has been that way for a couple years now. IMG_3363.JPG

I'm aiming to do a pretty high strung 3.0L L28ET w/Z32TT trans when I can get the car close to me and the body sorted out, looking to do a good bit of tubing probably like you.

The RB25 is a good choice, probably better than the 26. The RB20 is pretty gutless, but you can get good power out of a 25 without it breaking a sweat. Did you get the trans with it?

Good luck on your NSX search, and don't discount the US cars for being LHD if an NSX is what you're truly after or you'll limit yourself from some cars that may be in better condition at the same price than most coming out of Japan.

hey thanks for sharing the Z. the outside looks pretty solid for work.

how is the interior, floor pans, and rails?

mine had solid rails, but needed to replace the floors and rockers.

I will keep an eye out for more nsx, but the current price on domestic NSXs have skyrocketed so high, its just easier to import on and deal with RHD.

The interior is in decent shape. There's a small bit of rust in the hatch area and a few holes in the floorpans that I need to address, but otherwise it's pretty clean.

Rails and doglegs look good, battery tray is corroded but not eaten through, spare tire well is good. I'm sure there might be more once the paint comes off, but it's hard to expect a rust free chassis and everyone expects to find one for some reason.

Once that's done, I'm planning to repaint it the same 112 yellow color. Really like it.

There are still good NSXs to be had at manageable prices here if you can sort through nationwide ads on multiple sites. You just have to be quick, because they don't last very long. I would trust a 150K mi US NSX with records over a 60K mi Japanese car that didn't get much exercise and pops up on an auction site, and the drive home after buying is oh so nice. It is still very much a seller's market though.

Back