• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective NSX Buyer - Advice Needed

Hi All

Brand new to NSXprime and looking for advice regarding potential purchase of an NA 2 with prior accident damage.

Seller who appears to be quite honest, disclosed damage to front of car requiring replacement of one of the control arms, oil pan, muffler and electronic steering rack. The accident involved the seller driving into a ditch to avoid hitting a dog. Title is apparently clear and seller states no frame damage which was apparently confirmed by the Acura dealer he has the car serviced by. All repairs (to hood and bumper) were apparently done by a reputable shop that is experienced with aluminium based vehicles.

Obviously if I proceed with attempting to purchase the vehicle, I will be getting a PPI done. My questions are:

1. Based on info presented, should I pass on the vehicle, considering the amount of damage to the car?

2. Will I need to specify/request anything outside of a standard PPI to ensure that the structural integrity of the car is in tact/uncover potential future frame based issues?

Thanks for entertaining my questions!

Base on what you have provided in the way of damages, it do not sound like a bad car. Perhaps, you may want to post some pictures and the VIN, you will be surprise what guys on here comes up with.

Price, mileage etc would also help with putting a value.

Bram

If he had to replace the oil pan and muffler then it would be wise to check what other damage was done to the back of the car. A PPI by a good mechanic will tell you a lot about how the car runs, maintenance, etc. but in your case I would suggest also getting the car checked out by a reputable body shop, they can sometimes see things a mechanic may miss especially in frame damage, body panel fitment, overspray, damage cover ups, etc.

if the price reflects the damage and the car is solid otherwise I wouldn't discourage one from buying it, just make sure that it checks out and that the final price makes sense to you.

if the price reflects the damage and the car is solid otherwise I wouldn't discourage one from buying it, just make sure that it checks out and that the final price makes sense to you.

Agreed. There should be a reflected discount, but there sounds like nothing that would prevent this car from being a great enjoyable driver. NA2 cars are hard to find and are likely to be the first candidates of increasing costs as the NSX becomes more and more desirable. So if you are looking for a good car at a reasonable price, this may be a great opportunity.

Base on what you have provided in the way of damages, it do not sound like a bad car. Perhaps, you may want to post some pictures and the VIN, you will be surprise what guys on here comes up with.

Price, mileage etc would also help with putting a value.

Bram

Thanks Bram - car has higher miles -130K. VIN # JH4NA2165VT000016. Image post-accident below

NSX.jpg

Get an alignment done as part of PPI. If isn't aligned & can't be brought into spec then something is bent. Whether that's the unibody or suspension is up to you to decide to investigate. If it is straight, go ahead with mechanical PPI. This is not a hard procedure to figure out.

Get an alignment done as part of PPI. If isn't aligned & can't be brought into spec then something is bent. Whether that's the unibody or suspension is up to you to decide to investigate. If it is straight, go ahead with mechanical PPI. This is not a hard procedure to figure out.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - good to get reassurance in the general direction I was headed anyway. Will talk to the seller about a mechanical and structural PPI and cross fingers that there aren't any surprises.
One extra thing did make me take pause - seller advised of a crack in the paint at the top of the hood, is this symptomatic of normal ageing? In reading about the paint for these vehicles I did note that the had a cromate coating and a robust 23 step paint process - are repaints on these cars mores costly than on "standard" cars?

Cheers

OK - so I'm going to move forward with the PPIs - any suggestions on reputable shops in the Richmond VA area to get the PPIs done? Seller has existing relationship with the Crown Acura dealer there- would they be a reliable source for independent/non-partisan inspection?

good luck......funny how many people crash avoiding dogs........be careful.

good luck......funny how many people crash avoiding dogs........be careful.

Docjohn - anything specific that makes you skeptical here or is this just a generalized statement of caution?

My questions to the seller continue to uncover a better picture of the car - seller has disclosed the vehicle has been lowered and is using bilstein shocks - verbiage from the Acura dealer doing the alignment is as follows:
"After replacing rack (steering rack), unable to meet factory specs due to modified suspension, but set to reasonable specs. Set front toe to zero to prevent tire wear" no additional statement indicating any issues with the car. Does lowering the car prevent the ability to get all NSXs within spec?

Yes, my car is lowered and am unable to get the rears quite in spec. In practice they are off spec by 0.2 degrees.

Lowering a car will affect the camber which does not degrade a tire's life that much as I am sitting with a -2.5 rear camber per tire and currently have over 20k on them which I only go about 7k on stock alignment settings. The toe is the kicker on tire life.

Docjohn - anything specific that makes you skeptical here or is this just a generalized statement of caution?

quite simply my gut tells me that when a driver says he crashed avoiding pets or other animals it is usually a fabrication to mask a driver error.Unless of course you are Roger...inside joke.

quite simply my gut tells me that when a driver says he crashed avoiding pets or other animals it is usually a fabrication to mask a driver error.Unless of course you are Roger...inside joke.

Hey Doc, I resemble that remark!!!

Back