• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Provide Feedback to Potential NSX Buyer

I received the e-mail below, requesting feedback about what it's like to own an NSX. Please keep in mind that the request came from Scott's son Dave, but responses should be sent to Scott at [email protected] I'm confident we can provide the information and collegiality that have been the hallmark of this forum.

-----Original Message-----
Subject: The Bliss of Switching to High Rise Cams

Greetings, my name is Dave.

I am 17 years old and attend Nicolet High School in Milwaukee. Ever since my friend got a 1993 integra, and started modifying it, i was convinced that Japan simply knows how to make things better. Not only do American cars lack so much that the imports have, they come from a nation that has barely been "operating" for 300 years. This is not the case with Japan. Through better efficiency, safety (kind of), performance, reliability, general build, cost, and desireability, companies such as Honda/Acura, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru, Nissan, and others have become so successful.

The Accord has been car of the year more than 10 times, everyone loves a Prelude, and the S2000 (with its 240 ponies) has claimed an award for the highest horsepower per liter ratio of a naturally aspirated engine EVER!! (just imagine throwing some headers, low restriction/cold air intake, a turbo with a giant wastegate, new high performance clutch, wires, plugs, exhaust (but not the huge ones that the kids use on their civic and integra "rice rockets", I mean a true, high flow exhaust without the loud hum), short(er) throw shifter, and other mods). The beauty of buying an import and modifying it is to make it reflect the owner's image. With $250,000 , anyone could buy a Lambo or a Ferrari, or a Porsche GT2, or something like that, but you have to make sacrifices for the amazing performance. Suppose you don’t like the trim inside, and you would prefer carbon fiber; you probably won't want to start taking out parts of the dash, and fiddling with a $200,000 + piece of Italian engineering.

Italy aside, now that you know what I'm about, the reason i am contacting you is because you own an NSX. My father Scott is a 51 year old orthodontist, and has had an '89 M5, a 911, an RX7, a couple Saabs, and now he drives a '97 Acura 3.5RL. He has found a great deal on a '98 528i and is strongly considering purchasing it. We have test driven a GS300 and he had his heart set on it but changed his mind to this BMW 528. It is quite clear that an NSX is his dream car (who's isn't?!?!!). He has been looking fairly hard for an NSX from 1990-'94 or so, with no more than 60,000 miles or so, one that has been taken good care of, and for a low price. I want him to get one more than anything but I don't think it's going to happen!

IF YOU COULD PLEASE SEND HIM AN E-MAIL INCLUDING HOW MUCH FUN YOU HAVE HAD WITH YOUR NSX, THE FEW PROBLEMS YOU'VE HAD, ANY INFORMATION ON BUYING ONE, AND ANY OTHER MOTIVATIONAL WORDS TO CONVINCE HIM TO BUY ONE OF THESE INCREDIBLY WELL-BUILT MACHINES I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO THANK YOU ENOUGH.

HIS EMAIL IS [[[[[[[[[[ [email protected] ]]]]]]]]]]]]]

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

SINCERELY FROM ONE NSX LOVER TO ANOTHER,

Dave

I have a feeling a number of us got that e-mail... Here was my response:

To: "Dave Arbit" [email protected]
cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Switchin' to those high rise cams

Hi Dave,

First off, I have to compliment you on the fact that you have excellent writing skills compared to most other 17 year olds I have corresponded with recently... Better than most 37 year olds for that matter! Your passion for Japanese sports cars is clear and I will be happy to answer any specific questions you or your father may have about the NSX. Your letter sounds like you may have written it once and e-mailed it to a number of NSX owners you found on my website, http://www.nsxprime.com and if that is the case I'm sure you will get a variety of responses. Because you obviously put a fair amount of effort into writing your inquiry I will give you as thorough a response as possible.

The first NSX model year for the US was 1991, and more NSXs were produced 1991-1992 than all subsequent years combined, so that is certainly the easiest model year to search for on the used market. You can see production numbers through 1998 broken down by year/color/transmission here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/productionnumbers.htm

Regarding your statement that your father is interested in an early model NSX with under 60k miles, in good condition and at a low price, that is great but you also need to set realistic expectations. For example a price of say $25k is unreasonably low for a car meeting your other stated criteria. A realistic "good" price for a truly nice early NSX with under 60k miles is in the low 30s. You will see many NSXs advertised as meeting your criteria at a lower price, but upon a careful inspection there is almost always a reason (accident history, lacking maintenance records, generally rough condition, etc.)

If you are looking for places to find used NSXs, go to http://www.nsxprime.com/market/marketplace.htm and you can either access the classified ads on my website or follow the links to some other NSX-only classified ad websites. In addition, Auto Trader Online at http://www.autotrader.com usually has the most NSXs for sale of any general-interest used car listing.

As far as reliability and maintenance costs, there are on average better than for a comparable year Porsche or BMW, but again you need to consider that he is looking at a '98 BMW versus a '91-'94 NSX which is 4 to 7 years older than the BMW and has been on the road for 9-12 years. If the car has been well maintained then it will probably be fine.

There are a few things to watch out for when buying a used NSX which are detailed here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm

Best regards,

Nice response, Lud.
biggthumpup.gif

Back