• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Published Specs

^ s/b 76.4" actually, a hummer is 85.6", too bad they don't have a "contact web administrator" on their site.

Vf!!! I was going to send you an email. Was wondering if you were watching this news and discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe that includes the mirrors?

Interesting thought. It would be pretty close, I imagine.

Not a typical way to measure car width though.

- - - Updated - - -

Weight at 3800 not completely
unexpected.

Perhaps but I am a little surprised the weight distribution is not closer to 50/50. It ended up more like our cars despite the front motors. I guess that rear trunk and the battery pack are partly to blame.

^ s/b 76.4" actually, a hummer is 85.6", too bad they don't have a "contact web administrator" on their site.
Could you just imagine the amount of feed back they would have if a web admin was available. Acura would need an entire exchange server just handle the volume. :)

Kinda chunky. Was hoping for less weight. I guess I will have to go on a diet

Is it me, or does the photo on top of the page look like a Lego man playing a futuristic double-bass drum set, with a robot looking on, behind his right shoulder?

- - - Updated - - -

And text for describing the colors, instead of....showing some....colors? Really? :)

I was very interested in the "Power Output Per Lite" specification.

I too think that an image of the colors would have been a lot more helpful than some proprietary marketing names. What exactly is a "Seacoast" interior?

Also, will that interior color be available with the exterior color I want? I wish they had said so a fifth time on the page. Now I'm really not sure.

I think they stated that any interior color can be paired with all the available exterior shades. I'm with Warren, where's the orange option? Must be saving it for the type R!

Could you just imagine the amount of feed back they would have if a web admin was available. Acura would need an entire exchange server just handle the volume. :)

Ha! Good point...but other big name car sites do have it. This page was evidently rushed, I just skimmed it and found 5 typos (not including the 87.3" width)...perhaps the most glaring examples halfway down the page are the section headings of BODY / SUSPENSION / CHASIS (should be chassis), and EPA MILLAGE RATINGS FUEL (should be mileage, a millage rating is the amount per thousand used to calculate taxes on property)

...unless they're planning on charging property taxes on the car ;)

Last edited:
I was trying to calculate the maximum torque because I had not seen it anywhere and noticed that the torque figures for the front electric motors are listed from 0 - 2000 RPM yet the max horsepower is listed at 4000 RPM.

Are they suggesting that the torque drops off after 2000 RPM? I thought electric motor's torque curve was pretty flat across the RPM?

I think since the electric motors are geared differently and go from highest torque at zero rpm to least torque at max rpm, they will apply a different torque curve in relation to their specs than what the engine does, and the contribution is different when the transmission is in different gears. The rear motor is attached to the crank so the gearing for that one is shared with the engine. That means the rear motor and engine can be calculated together.

Probably what you need to do is calculate the front motor's contribution in wheel torque for each speed. Then add those values to the engine+rear motor's contribution in wheel torque (and remember the front and rear wheel diameters are different so you need to incorporate that by converting wheel torque to the accelerative force against the ground). That puts both front and rear thrust in the same units. Then bring that calculation backwards through the gearbox in each gear so that you find the equivalent gas engine-only torque and power curve to get the same acceleration. The result is you have a power curve you can compare to other cars.

Last edited:
Not exactly published specs but Car and Driver estimates that the NSX will go from 0 - 60 in 2.9 seconds, hit 100 mph in 7.6 and do the standing quarter mile in 11.1.

They are also predicting that it will be faster to 60 than the Corvette Z06, the 570S, the R8 V10, the 458 Speciale and the 488GTB.

That would be nice.

Last edited:
I was trying to calculate the maximum torque because I had not seen it anywhere and noticed that the torque figures for the front electric motors are listed from 0 - 2000 RPM yet the max horsepower is listed at 4000 RPM.

Are they suggesting that the torque drops off after 2000 RPM? I thought electric motor's torque curve was pretty flat across the RPM?

No, it's the power that's constant - which means torque falls off as revs increase. If the batteries supply 20 kW for example, it supplies 20 kW no matter how fast the motor is turning. (It's actually not quite that simple as the motor's speed effects its efficiency and other things.) (Kilowatts, like horsepower, is a measure of power.)

Not exactly published specs but Car and Driver estimates that the NSX will go from 0 - 60 in 2.9 seconds, hit 100 mph in 7.6 and do the standing quarter mile in 11.1.

C&D apparently believes that the NSX will leap off the line, but thereafter fall off a bit in the mid range and top end.

Still slower than a stock gt-r.

Agreed. And probably, with a 'convential' powertrain, the more 'normal' cars can be upgraded easier than the NSX.

I woud suspect that increasing HP on the V6 would be possible, but since the engine has to work together with three different electric engines and these all work in combination with each other and all controlled by the software of the car, upgrading the performance of the NSX is much more difficult.

To be honest, I was suspecting the new NSX to come out with MORE than 600 HP. I especially expected the electric motors to be more powerfull. Now, there added power is just 70 HP on top of the 500 HP V6 so that's (just) 14%.

I also expected more from the electric motors but I suspect the battery size couldn't accommodate a lot more and remain useful.

As for not being able to up the power because of the integration with the motors, I really don't think this will be a problem at all. It hasn't affected those tuning the 918 so far.

I'm sure there will be maps for engine output and motor output versus throttle position. I wonder if it would be as simple as MAF sensor output for power mapped against throttle position and motor augmentation. If this is the case then increasing the power of the ICE just means accessing a different part of that map, possibly requiring additional mapping as the airflow would be beyond that expected in stock format. That's exactly the same as they do when they remap normal cars. I won't write it off before it happens, the ecu hackers are very clever people and I know of one company already poised to attack the ecu. I also know a major geartrain company who do engine internal upgrades who have one on order and are aching to strip it to pieces and get working on it.

I also know a major geartrain company who do engine internal upgrades who have one on order and are aching to strip it to pieces and get working on it.

Good luck and let's hope these companies does have deep pockets and the Engineering knowledge like Honda R&D. Yes, they may be able to free up a few Ponies on the Power Unit, but you will be visiting their Shops every couple of weeks to address some type of driveability issue....That should be real FUN

Bram

Good luck and let's hope these companies does have deep pockets and the Engineering knowledge like Honda R&D. Yes, they may be able to free up a few Ponies on the Power Unit, but you will be visiting their Shops every couple of weeks to address some type of driveability issue....That should be real FUN

Bram

You don't know that though, that's just an assumption of how you think the drivetrain works. If there's money to be made in the tuning industry then some clever guy will figure it out. They said the GT-R was unhackable, and that turned out to be totally wrong and ended up being the most tunable platform there is. I'm hoping the NSX is the same and I'm all for having a go.

Just imagine if you could make 918 power for sensible money!

You are correct we don't know....The GTR ECU is not any more complex than any other sport car ECU, because it is using a "Standard ICE" platform. Now if these Kepboard Junkies can accomplised the same thing with a 918, then they may be on to something, as this is a very similar Power Unit/drivetrain.

But as you indicated 918 Power for a fraction of the cost....Why not...Perhaps you can share some information on 918 Tuning and results?

Bram

Back