• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pulled over by State Trooper for not having front license plate

I live in CA, a 2 plate state. I've had 3 run-ins with law enforcement.

1. I was pulled over by a CHP patrol car for going 85 in a 65 zone. The CHP officer never mentioned the lack of a front plate or tinted windows (also a violation). But, after issuing me the ticket, he did ask how I liked my car and if it was fast. I said I loved my car, even though it was one of the slowest NSX's made (I own a 1995 auto). He smiled and replied, "Yes, but its fast enough to get you this speeding ticket".

2. I inadvertently parked my car in an area that required a permit. When I returned, I found a ticket on my windshield. In addition to the ticket for not having a permit, I also was cited for not having a front license plate (no mention of the tinted windows). I purchased an SOS stealth front plate holder, ordered new plates, since I only had one (the former owner could not find the 2nd. plate), photographed the plates on my car, and sent the photo into the Los Angeles PD along with my ticket, and the fix-it ticket was satisfied.

3. While traveling on the 101 north of Santa Barbara I was pulled over by the CHP for doing 95 in a 65 zone. When he mention the speed, I blurted out "that's impossible" thinking to myself that was not a wise thing to say even though I was only going 85. He looked at my radar and says "my radar saw you before yours saw me”. Then he walked around to the front of my car leaned over and pulled a plastic bag from one of the intakes. He walks back to me and says "you know it is illegal not to have a front license plate, and your tinted windows are also illegal". He then asks where I was heading to. I told him San Luis Obispo. He asked if I was going to a car show. I said no, I was attending a fraternity party. He then reached into his back pocket and pulled out a note pad. By that time I thought I was cooked. Then I was floored when he says "Sir, I'm not going to give you a ticket. But, when you drive a flashy red sports car, you need to be more careful. So, if you don’t mind, I'm going to stand here and talk to you for a while so that people driving by will think I'm doing my job". I'm sure those that I passed earlier were telling themselves that I deserved the ticket that I was getting. Little did they know! After a couple of minutes the officer told me to be safe and he let me go. Driving 65 with him behind me for the next 5 miles was difficult, but I still was thanking my luck stars.

Oh, the SOS stealth front license plate holder ($95) is great, although still somewhat visible in the up position.

I bought the SOS stealth plate for this reason. I like the look of the car without the front plate but live in a 2 plate state. I'll simply play stupid and be like... "No front liscense plate? What do you mean? I have a front plate. Did it fall off? ( ;))" Proceed to get out of car look at front and say "Oh! I must of forgot to put the plate back down after the car show last weekend. My mistake officer let me fix that. Thanks for letting me know." Hopefully since the plate is there they won't give me the ticket.

Last edited:
NJ = 2 plate State

I've gone through 2 checkpoints so far. In Fort Lee, they set up a DMV checkpoint to check for inspection stickers, and emissions. So far, I've managed to talk my way out of both checkpoint stops. Keeping in mind that my inspection sticker was always current. This is an excerpt from my last encounter this past April...

"Where's your front plate?"

-This car didn't come with a front plate bracket officer. I've tried to place it on the dash for display, but it keeps sliding off???

"Do you know that window tint is illegal in NJ?"

-Really? I didn't know that? My car had this tint when I bought it? I thought nothing of it because I see other cars with tint all the time.

"We stop cars like yours all the time for no front plate, and we hear the same story over and over...at least put your seat belt on...have a nice day!"

-Thank you officer, I will!

I spent $360 on no front plate fines last year.

Ouch!! I got the SOS stealth front plate and got away on two occasion, when the cop stops i told them i forgot to pull it down was at the track earlier and was able to get away with it.

After 15 years and 8 months my license plate luck finally ran out today. I got ticketed for no front plate by of all things, an Air Force Security Policeman near Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio. I have cringed for years every time I pass an Ohio State Patrolman because they are pretty sharp and would be the most likely to catch this minor offense. Oddly enough, I have had other NSX friends around here say they got caught by small municipality police. I don't think I have had anyone tell me they were ticketed by the State boys. I got caught by the OSP back in the 70's for not having a front plate on a Lotus Europa that I owned at the time but have not had a problem with the NSX until now. There are tons of Corvettes in this area and I would say 75% of them do not have front plates either. They better not drive around WPAFB or their luck will end too!

I was coming of the 101 freeway in Oxnard, Ca. I was the first car at the stoplight to make a left turn. I noticed a CHP @ the stoplight across from me in the left only lane. His light turned green first. He puts on his lights and siren and proceeded go right. He pulls into the gas station and waits. The light finally turns green for me and proceeded thru the intersection. No sooner that I pass the gas station, Chippy flashes his lights and proceeded to follow me over the bridge. Once past the bridge, he pulls me over. He asked for the usual - license and registration. He tells me the reason why he pulled me over - no front license plate. He then asked me if the car had some modifications on it. I tell him "no". He tells me to open the front hood. I obliged him. He looked puzzled and stared for awhile. He asked me a second time if I had any mods in my car. Again I said none. He got frustrated and told me that I was getting a ticket for no front license plate. He says that I should be so lucky to only get the fix it ticket instead of towing the vehicle for a thorough inspection. I thanked him and went my merry way. As I was getting in the car, my friend (also with an NSX) passed me by and waved. He calls me on the cell phone. Needless to say, I had a good laugh. I don't believe he knew anything about the NSX. I was puzzles at first about why he wanted the front hood opened. I was expecting him to say open your engine compartment. It just goes to show you that not every CHP or law enforcement knows jack about our cars.

Happy reading.

Last edited:
I was coming of the 101 freeway in Oxnard, Ca. I was the first car at the stoplight to make a left turn. I noticed a CHP @ the stoplight across from me in the left only lane. His light turned green first. He puts on his lights and siren and proceeded go right. He pulls into the gas station and waits. The light finally turns green for me and proceeded thru the intersection. No sooner that I pass the gas station, Chippy flashes his lights and proceeded to follow me over the bridge. Once past the bridge, he pulls me over. He asked for the usual - license and registration. He tells me the reason why he pulled me over - no front license plate. He then asked me if the car had some modifications on it. I tell him "no". He tells me to open the front hood. I obliged him. He looked puzzled and stared for awhile. He asked me a second time if I had any mods in my car. Again I said none. He got frustrated and told me that I was getting a ticket for no front license plate. He says that I should be so lucky to only get the fix it ticket instead of towing the vehicle for a thorough inspection. I thanked him and went my merry way. As I was getting in the car, my friend (also with an NSX) passed me by and waved. He calls me on the cell phone. Needless to say, I had a good laugh. I don't believe he knew anything about the NSX. I was puzzles at first about why he wanted the front hood opened. I was expecting him to say open your engine compartment. It just goes to show you that not every CHP or law enforcement knows jack about our cars.

Happy reading.

This CHP officer was not very nice! I guess I've been lucky with the ones I have encountered. Its a good thing that you did not tell him where the motor was actually located. He would then have been openly embarrasses and for sure would have towed you in. I bet he left hoping that you did not know why he wanted to look under the hood. However, if he would have looked hard enough, he would have eventually seen the hamsters that propel the car.

I am a United Methodist pastor. My '91 red NSX was pulled over on I-45 in Texas for no front plate. Highway patrol officer walked around and looked a lot. Was surprised when the passenger seat was occupied by a minister's wife doing needlepoint of a lamb for the communion kneelers at First United Methodist Church, Dallas. Got a written warning. Have the plate now. A 10mm socket fits all the bolts.

I pulled out of my driveway one afternoon with my wife, in a residential area and was pulled over by Glendora PD. He tells me i was pulled over for speeding. I looked at him with a dumbfouded look and said "thats impossible because i cant drive faster than 5 mph through the dip". He asked for the usual and walked back to his car. He aproaches the car and asked if I had any mods on the car? I said "No this is how i purchased the car", he tells to stay put. He returns to the car again and asked me if my car has nitrous or turbo? I said neither. Can i see you engine? he asked. Of course, got out of the car and showed him the engine, he looked puzzled. "whats in the trunk" he asked. "Nothing" i said, "Would you like to see? "yes" he says. So i opened the trunk for him and still had that puzzled look on his face. "So whats in the front" he asked, My radiator and battery, would you like to see? "Yes" he answered. So we come to the front of the car and showed him what was inside the hood. The next question will blow you away, because he proceeds by asking me "Did you move your engine to the back of the car yourself"? I said " No officer this is how the car was made" then he says "OH i get it, this is one of those imported cars." I just replied "yes" hoping he would just let me go. But NO he asked to wait in the car. So after 30 min of waiting a CHP officer shows up walks up the officer and he says "I think he has mods on that car." CHP walks up to me and asked if I has nitrous or turbo? I tell him "NO" then he asks "Do you race this car" i said "NO" walks back to the officer and tells him "Hes ok" As hes walking away a Sheriff drives up and does the same thing. Finally GPD officer walks up to me and says "I know there is illigal parts on this car but since i dont know where they are i'm going to let you go." hands my drivers liscence and walks away.

I pulled out of my driveway one afternoon with my wife, in a residential area and was pulled over by Glendora PD. He tells me i was pulled over for speeding. I looked at him with a dumbfouded look and said "thats impossible because i cant drive faster than 5 mph through the dip". He asked for the usual and walked back to his car. He aproaches the car and asked if I had any mods on the car? I said "No this is how i purchased the car", he tells to stay put. He returns to the car again and asked me if my car has nitrous or turbo? I said neither. Can i see you engine? he asked. Of course, got out of the car and showed him the engine, he looked puzzled. "whats in the trunk" he asked. "Nothing" i said, "Would you like to see? "yes" he says. So i opened the trunk for him and still had that puzzled look on his face. "So whats in the front" he asked, My radiator and battery, would you like to see? "Yes" he answered. So we come to the front of the car and showed him what was inside the hood. The next question will blow you away, because he proceeds by asking me "Did you move your engine to the back of the car yourself"? I said " No officer this is how the car was made" then he says "OH i get it, this is one of those imported cars." I just replied "yes" hoping he would just let me go. But NO he asked to wait in the car. So after 30 min of waiting a CHP officer shows up walks up the officer and he says "I think he has mods on that car." CHP walks up to me and asked if I has nitrous or turbo? I tell him "NO" then he asks "Do you race this car" i said "NO" walks back to the officer and tells him "Hes ok" As hes walking away a Sheriff drives up and does the same thing. Finally GPD officer walks up to me and says "I know there is illigal parts on this car but since i dont know where they are i'm going to let you go." hands my drivers liscence and walks away.

There is a pattern here! The magic words to get out of a speeding ticket to say to the officer "thats impossible!!!!!". It worked for me and now him. Again, I feel lucky. However, I have not ever heard of officers asking about modifications. Maybe because, except for my NSX, I have not owned a hot car. I wonder if the combination of saying "thats imposible" and having a Minister's wife in the passenger seat knitting, would get you out of just about any infraction. The only better scenario is to have George Burns as you passenger.

Last edited:
That does it. I'm getting a blow up George Burns doll to ride shotgun and have my ministry badge hang off the rear-view mirror.

Two recent stories of CHP asking if there are mods on our cars? Is this something recent that is happening?

I have a CT Header and CT Exhaust. If I were in the same situation and was asked if I had 'mods', how should one respond?

I don't know about other parts of the country but around here we have ricers by the bucketful. They will take anything that burns gas and try to pimp it up with anything they can buy. I work with a woman who's better half has over-modded his two cars so badly that the police will not let him drive them on the road. They are now banished to the garage until he de-tunes them enough to pass smog and CHP inspections for safety.

As our cars have been out of production longer than some troopers have been alive, they see a sports car like ours and naturally think "mods". So when they pull you over and ask to see your mods under the hood, open up the bonnet and show them your battery!

If that isn't an abuse of authority on a fishing expedition, then I don't know what is! :eek:

Gary

Reading more and more stories about getting hassled over pure automotive ignorance leads me to consider actually keeping my original owner's manual in the glovebox. Therefore, I can present OEM evidence to the next proverbial Buford T. Justice, "This car is an NSX. Not a custom rabble-rouser..."

Put the evidence in the car!!!!!

blackandwhite_Buford_T_Justice_in_car.bmp

Happy reading.

:eek: Towing for an inspection when he can't even find the engine and the only thing he can write you up for is no front plate? I'd have a hard time listening to that.

Got pulled over in Irvine again today! Motorcycle cop. I pull over tight to the curb, turn off the engine, and keep my hands on the wheel. Officer walks up the passenger side and almost has to get on his knees to look into the car, I'm just grinning.
"Sir, are you wondering why I pulled you over?"
"Yes sir"
"I pulled you over because you didn't have a front license plate"
"Yes I do, it's on the car"
"Maybe I missed it"
So I proceed to get out of the car and walk to the front. I also say "I had the car detailed today and maybe they didn't drop the plate back down"
So as I unbolt the SOS Stealth plate and place it into position, he says "I've never seen one of those. If it is too much trouble to drop it down, just do it when you get home"
"Thank you sir, have a good holiday"
"You too, too bad you have to spoil the looks of that car with a front license plate"
"Thank you sir, I agree":biggrin:

WI cops are so bored they rock us all the time for no front plates... so lame. Its just an excuse they use to pull you over to hopefully find something else. I am jealous of the states that don't require a front plate.

You should respond "No!" Your car has CARB street legal parts. The CHP is clearly looking for illegal mods.

Two recent stories of CHP asking if there are mods on our cars? Is this something recent that is happening?

I have a CT Header and CT Exhaust. If I were in the same situation and was asked if I had 'mods', how should one respond?

Ok am I missing something? Are you not allowed to have mods in certain states? Which are legal? With all the civics, GTIs and S2000s the police would be occupied 24/7 here.

Back