• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Purchasing 2004 Dilemma... advice requested

Hi guys,

So I am torn between two 2004 NSXs to choose from. One is pristine, clear title, flawless in every way but not my favorite color and costs $70K+. The other is my favorite color, but has a rebuilt title. This one I can get for $30K less ($40K+). The rebuilt is from a theft recovery and is supposedly undamaged in any way... all original panels with matching VIN, original paint, everything there and everything intact and everything works. Supposedly, if you didn't see the title and didn't look at the carfax, you would never know it has a rebuilt title. Of course, I will have a full inspection done on it to verify this and the seller is more than willing to let me bring it to as many independent inspectors as I want.

So assuming that it was indeed a completely undamaged theft recovery that resulted in a rebuilt title (because insurance paid it off before it was recovered), which should I buy???

All comments and opinions welcome. I am looking for any and every point of view to help me out here. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I would not buy the one with the rebuilt title. Theft recovery almost always means some kind of damage. You should just provide links. No one is going to buy your cars on this forum from under you. That way people can give you a more educated opinion. You can wrap a car to any color these days and protect its paint too if that is a major issue. 70K for a 2004 seems a bit high... it better be really low mileage.

- - - Updated - - -

google the VIN numbers

I had a similar situation - but it comes down to long-term plans.

Will you sell the NSX someday? If not - and it all checks out - I'd probably go with the rebuilt. Gives you ~35k to modify and play to your heart's desire.

If you don't see yourself as a 'forever' owner - I would get the clean title.

When you look at the theft recovery you will be able to tell it has been put back together. Nobody has the resources to fix these cars like the came from Honda and then sell for 30k less, it would be impossible to put it back together even close to honda but if you did the car would be 100k and nobody would do that. Seats for example are like 8k each 5k for just the covers. Nobody buys new replacement ones for a theft They buy something close and recover it with aftermarket or ? Plus the 40k nsx that salvage will never be worth anything compared to a clean original. The point is you are comparing an apple to an orange. If you are ok with a driver that isn't right which is fine by the way they buy the cheap salvage one. If you are particular and want a good car the wait and buy a clean car

yes and no. its situational. shawn on the boards here has done some pretty amazing things re restore/refixes and i know he doesnt skimp out re time/care and doing things correctly. he is very creative and smart re getting the oem parts he needs.

i would agree with zeroxg35; if the OP like 'for sure' wont sell the nsx or plans to keep like 15-20 year and not take it easy re milage i would get the theft recovery; provided a VERY thorough inspection and findnig out exactly what happened re theft recovery fix. anything without a clean title will be extremely extremely tough to sell.

When you look at the theft recovery you will be able to tell it has been put back together. Nobody has the resources to fix these cars like the came from Honda and then sell for 30k less, it would be impossible to put it back together even close to honda but if you did the car would be 100k and nobody would do that. Seats for example are like 8k each 5k for just the covers. Nobody buys new replacement ones for a theft They buy something close and recover it with aftermarket or ? Plus the 40k nsx that salvage will never be worth anything compared to a clean original. The point is you are comparing an apple to an orange. If you are ok with a driver that isn't right which is fine by the way they buy the cheap salvage one. If you are particular and want a good car the wait and buy a clean car

Thanks for the input. I agree that no one would pay to put it together like original. The story at least is that it was never damaged or taken apart in the first place, so everything is original, as it came from the factory. It was not taken taken apart and then rebuilt with new parts. The thief hid it away to wait for it to cool off before selling it later out of country or something, but got found out and discovered and arrested. At least that is the story. In any event, this should all be verifiable with a thorough inspection right? If it does check out and is all original... would it be worth it??

That story makes no sense. How is a car, complete with all original parts, get a rebuilt title.

- - - Updated - - -

did you google the vin

The story is a lie.

Let me repeat. nobody puts an nsx together like they were put together in the first place. PERIOD

I have a lot of experience with nsx's and building cars from the ground up

I had a similar situation - but it comes down to long-term plans.

Will you sell the NSX someday? If not - and it all checks out - I'd probably go with the rebuilt. Gives you ~35k to modify and play to your heart's desire.

If you don't see yourself as a 'forever' owner - I would get the clean title.

^^ what he said.

So look...
are you going to drive the hell out of it? then buy a less expensive one (without a rebuilt title), there are some nice options out there
are you going to take it out occasionally and want the best condition all around? then pony up the cash, poised to purchase when it comes up, and cry once

That story makes no sense. How is a car, complete with all original parts, get a rebuilt title.

- - - Updated - - -

did you google the vin

I asked my own insurance if it was possible for a car complete with all original parts to get a rebuilt title and they confirmed YES if it was stolen and later recovered AFTER they paid out on the car (usually 30 days). At that point the car gets titled to insurance company and they auction it off as a theft recovery which forever from that point gets branded with a rebuilt title regardless of condition (even if car is showroom perfect). No exceptions.

Here is the carfax
http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepo...ExSschcdZaA3dIz42si/cU3xPPmzKZw==&language=en

Last edited:
Naturally you'll get different answers about this subject.

Coming from a previous salvage owner, at $35k for the rebuilt one, you won't lose much if anything. But I would go in anticipating a loss anyway. Also, don't expect an immediate sale when that time comes. Good news is you saved a ton of money. Just make sure salvage laws aren't stringent where you live. Because if they are, you'll be kicking yourself in the a** and you can potentially end up spending close to what you would have for the clear title Nsx.

Do your homework and good luck with your decision. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
My two cents.
If you buy a pristine and original NSX, should you ever decide to sell it, you are likely to get what you paid for it and maybe more. If you spend 40k on a salvage, it will be much harder to do the same. I realize that this is not a purely financial decision but I would think in 5-10 years, or whenever you change your mind and decide to sell, you would be glad the original pristine care is sitting in your garage.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

Why is the current owner of the "rebuilt" car showing a new title a few weeks ago? flipping the car? bought it and doesnt like it?

I would check with insurance too on coverage for a rebuilt/salvage title vehicle. you may not be able to insure it for as high of value as a clean title vehicle. I had a truck get totaled and was told by my agent that if i kept it and ever had to put in another claim it was only worth its salvage value and not full value. BIG thing to find out first.

theft recovery? is it a 2004 silverstone from tampa? mine is hiding in a storage garage somewhere when my lawyers find it, I will get it back
but whats making me mad is it hasnt been started in almost a year now, I wish the a-hole would atleast start it once a week to keep the engine alive for when I do get it back

It is a 2004 Silverstone. Stolen in NY in 2004 but not recovered for almost two years. Was in Fort Myers the last few years and sold on 3/5/14.

Carfax also states "severe damage" reported.

JH4NA21624T000120

Last edited:
The silver salvage car has been around the block and appears to have been passing hands for $40kish for a while. So if you buy it for that, you can probably sell it for that. It will always be damaged goods though and that is probably why it has had so many different owners. If you are fine with that, drive it like hell and toss it when you are tired.

$70k is a lot of coin to spend and not get exactly what you want. If you are prepared to spend that kind of money, I would get the exact car you want. With the sun peeking out, more and more cars are hitting the market. You may also want to post up a wanted ad on this site. Money talks and you seem to have it, so speak up.

Incidentally - there is this $70k car: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=367712714&Log=0

theft recovery? is it a 2004 silverstone from tampa? mine is hiding in a storage garage somewhere when my lawyers find it, I will get it back
but whats making me mad is it hasnt been started in almost a year now, I wish the a-hole would atleast start it once a week to keep the engine alive for when I do get it back

Wow didn't even know yours was stolen. Hope you get it back man.

Why is the current owner of the "rebuilt" car showing a new title a few weeks ago? flipping the car? bought it and doesnt like it?

I would check with insurance too on coverage for a rebuilt/salvage title vehicle. you may not be able to insure it for as high of value as a clean title vehicle. I had a truck get totaled and was told by my agent that if i kept it and ever had to put in another claim it was only worth its salvage value and not full value. BIG thing to find out first.

Supposedly the seller just inherited it as part of an estate and since he's not a sports car enthusiast, would rather sell it than keep it.

Yes I did check with my insurance and they would only cover it for 60% of clean title value. So that ends up around the amount I'd be paying for it.

- - - Updated - - -

The silver salvage car has been around the block and appears to have been passing hands for $40kish for a while. So if you buy it for that, you can probably sell it for that. It will always be damaged goods though and that is probably why it has had so many different owners. If you are fine with that, drive it like hell and toss it when you are tired.

$70k is a lot of coin to spend and not get exactly what you want. If you are prepared to spend that kind of money, I would get the exact car you want. With the sun peeking out, more and more cars are hitting the market. You may also want to post up a wanted ad on this site. Money talks and you seem to have it, so speak up.

Incidentally - there is this $70k car: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=367712714&Log=0

Guess what car I've been talking about?? There is a reason the VIN is not listed in the ad and there is no mention of a clear title! Lol

I totally agree that $70k is a lot to spend and not get exactly what I want. I've been saving a long time for this purchase. My only fear in passing on both and continuing to wait is that these cars are getting harder and harder to find in perfect condition with low miles. And the other car I found is absolutely perfect. Only the color is not my preferred. I guess it could grow on me over time which is why I'm tempted to get it anyways. That's what's making this decision so hard...

Computron, I spend almost 2 years waiting for the car that I thought I want 97+ Red/Tan or Black. But then when I saw the 03 LBBP in front of me, I was sold! So until you see the real car, the color might change. The car had some mods and no original parts which I don't care for since I'm not selling it, it will be my coffin when I die. Anyway, the car is prime with 18/19 HRE which runs about $6k and all the CTSC stuff another $15k or so and with only 33k miles but I didn't paid $70k. Your car is out there, you need to be patient and don't let that "instant hot button" get you or you'll over paid. Put a WTB ad out there and I'm sure you'll get plenty of PM's. Good luck!

Guess what car I've been talking about?? There is a reason the VIN is not listed in the ad and there is no mention of a clear title! Lol

Heh! you will find that this community has a pretty solid pulse on the sales ads. Even though I am not in the market, I pop through the for sale ads now and then to see what is out there.

The price of that car is going to depend on the condition. If it is a 1 owner, 21k clean car that it may very well be worth the $$$.

Since both cars are silver, I assume the deal-breaker is the silver interior? Having seen a silver interior, I think you would end up being happy with it - it is very subtle. Now, the red with red interior on the other hand, THAT is a combo you have to REALLY love.

Silver cars aren't terribly rare though. In fact, I see several 2002+ Silvers on Autotrader right now:

2002 - 66k miles - $51,000
2002 - 4k miles - $69,980
2002 - 20k miles - $74,000
2002 - 34k miles - $64,900
2003 - 20k miles - $65,000
2003 - 47k miles - $59,900
2005 - 47k miles - $52,950

Back