• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Putting all biasness aside, which would you choose?

Bored at work as usual and was wondering, if you had $30,000 for a weekend/track/fun car, which would you go with, and why? Remember, try to keep your biasing aside if you own either or.

Lotus_Elise_Florida_Beach5.jpg

Vs.

stocky.jpg

I would want to try the Lotus just to drive something different than something I already have. I was reading on lotustalk and quite a few owners have both the NSX and the Elise/Exige and they all said that the NSX feels like a Buick by comparison.

For track abuse I would go with the Lotus, I may be mistaken but I think they are cheaper to fix up if things blow up on the track vs the NSX. But again, not sure as my neighbor with the Elise moved a few years ago so I have no new references. :redface:

I think the elise is a more fun car compared to a stock older NSX. By a wide margin. If you wanted to daily drive then I'd say NSX but for a weekend/fun/track, the Elise is an easy winner.

nsx...

why? I'm 6'1" 240....the elise and I would have issues

not to mention sheer comfort of the nsx, as far as trips go, I've been in one lotus, never again

Lotus parts are not cheap. I had a claim with one, with damage that would have been 3-4k on a normal car, but you have to replace the entire front clam when damaged, which alone was 17k. The car ending up being a total loss for over 28k, even though it looked cosmetic and was perfectly drivable.

First gen elise is somewhat underwhelming I have discovered... the power isn't there in the elise, and it's pretty raw, even when you're expecting raw. If you can add some cash the Exige (around $35k for non-supercharged, you can add the TRD supercharger later, or $45k for supercharged Exige S) is a much more capable car. Entry/Exit is difficult, this is not a height issue, just the design of the car - you can fit up to around 6'3-6'4" assuming you're in shape.

The $30-40k sportscar market includes the nsx, exige, viper GTS, 996 turbo, or a steal on a car like a C6 Z06 ($45k typical).

Removing all bias, the corvette is probably the most capable vehicle on this list, in stock form. Between nsx, exige, viper GTS (strict $30k budget), they're all similar in performance and value, just a matter of what you prefer, or what's fresh to you.

The Lotus.

Why? Simply because when someone does a vs comparison, I always pick the non nsx vehicle.

But other than that, I think tiny cars are just plain cool. I like small cars like the smart, Austin Healy Sprite, datsun fairlady etc.

Last edited:
from my experience, lotus is great on track as long as you don't get swamped by other traffic with more hp- if you can't get a clear shot then everyone else will spoil your line and you simply don't have to motor to get away- all that handling superiority gets eaten up on straightaways- frustrating.

if you had $30,000 for a weekend/track/fun car....

Given the above, absolutely the Elise.

I've had both so here's my opinion. I prefer the lotus, as long as I dont have to drive it every day. I love driving with the top off, and the lotus is definitely more fun in the twisties. Drive them both and decide for yourself!

weekend/track/fun car I would say Lotus.....not too many cars can touch it on a short course.

The S2000 is also a very capable car on the track and has a lot of options.

Otherwise you also have the RX7....

The real question is "What are your priorities?" I am starting to grow out of the teenee car mentality and I see the Elise as too small anymore. I want my sports car, but I want my luxuries too. Getting old.

Since you mentioned this is just for weekend/track, I could live with the Elise but consider it way inferrior to the Exige.

Last edited:
Elise is a tunes car...too tiny...exige supercharged for track otherwise nsx for best compromise.

I've had both so here's my opinion. I prefer the lotus, as long as I dont have to drive it every day. I love driving with the top off, and the lotus is definitely more fun in the twisties. Drive them both and decide for yourself!
I would if I could find a dealer with an used Elise for sale :frown:.

weekend/track/fun car I would say Lotus.....not too many cars can touch it on a short course.

The S2000 is also a very capable car on the track and has a lot of options.

Otherwise you also have the RX7....

Already had an '02 Berlina S2k, absolutely fantastic car...now an FD RX7....:biggrin:

I don't know, but what's up with that crooked ass house?

lol

I noticed that too.

I would pick neither for $30k for a weekend/track car. There are soo many more used options at that pricing point. But since you only stated these 2, I would go with the Lotus but would be scared to go 9/10 out there in it because of the whole replacing of the clamshell dealy.

Back