• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Q: How do I powdercoat my calipers

I found a shop here locally in Austin that will get my calipers sand blasted for me, and then powder coat them black, remove the powdercoating from the raised "NSX" logo, and then clear-coat them.

That, and powdercoat both of my wiper arms black. For around $180 with tax.

The question is -- how do I get the calipers off and to him? I need a brake job, and I have all the parts (including new lines and fluid and pads), but I don't know how (or if) I need to brake down the calipers.

Also, is there any rebuilding that should be done with new parts when I put them back together again? (My NSX has 106,000 miles).

And the final question -- will powdercoating adversely affect the NSX's brake system? I realize that this is an appearance mod, but if it's going to damage something, I don't want to do it. Does the extra thickness provided by the powdercoat mean it will be hard to put this all back together again?

Sorry for the huge post, but I figure what better forum to post this to than here!

Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

Also, if anyone in the Central Texas area wants in on this, he might be willing to do a group buy, but I volunteer to be the first guinea pig.

Many NSX owners have powdercoated their calipers. Powdercoating is also used by caliper manufactures such as AP and Brembo.

You will need to remove the stock calipers from the car, and break the caliper into it's two pieces. You will need to remove the pistons and rubber boots from the calipers. Masking is key when powdercoating. Make sure to mask off the piston wells, bolt holes, bolt threads, e-brake hardware on the rear calipers, etc.

It's a good idea to replace the rubber boots on the pistons at the same time.

Take the calipers and have them sand blasted. This will insure proper adhesion of the powder.

There's probably more to this. Ask your powdercoater, and check out the shop manual on procedure, torque specs, etc.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Brian,
This is richie red 92. Does this place also do wheels? Was looking into that depending on time/cost.

thanks

------------------
92 Red/Blk

As usual Chris, thanks for the info!

As for the masking part, if this doens't go well, how bad of a position will I be in? I don't want to go through something with a high risk factor...
smile.gif

Also, since I haven't been following the list lately, since Tracy is no longer down the street to buy parts from, where should I get the new rubber parts? Should I consider new pistons as well?

Usually u don't need to replace the pistons. But do visual inspections while your at it.

I don't think u need to replace the rubber if it's still in good condition. These rubber boots can take serious beating. I melted some, but for street driving and people who are easy on the track, this will not be the case.

Just do visual inspection and replace them if necessarry.

Why spend money if it's not needed?

Make sure there is no sand left inside the caliper or under the lip where the rubber boots go. If there is and it gets into your fluid it could cause BIG problems.

Burbel,

I just had my calipers powder coated black. I had a guy Mark Basch knew do it. It ran about $200. They look incredible! While the calipers were off Mark rebuilt them top to bottom.

I am thinking about taking a dremel to the raised NSX logo to make them stand out. Is this a good or bad idea? Will it damage anything?

Ken

Originally posted by netNSX:
I am thinking about taking a dremel to the raised NSX logo to make them stand out. Is this a good or bad idea? Will it damage anything?

Ken

I'd do it by laying a piece of sandpaper or emery cloth on a very flat surface and rubbing the caliper across it. If the calipers are on the car try a strip of emery cloth secured to a flat bar of some kind. I think the Dremel would be hard to control and won't leave you with as nice a look as the emery. You want the letters to remain flat with nice clean sharp edges. Proceed at your own risk, of course.
usa.gif

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

I'm no powdercoating expert, but it seems like removing part of it is just asking for problems. The brakes are exposed to water, heat, dirt, etc. I would think removing part of the powdercoating is just inviting it to start chipping or cracking.

Actually, since I live a long way from Mark Basch, I think I will just put the old calipers back on, and button up the job and be done with it.

I don't want to risk doing any damage while I'm at it. :

Originally posted by burbel:
Actually, since I live a long way from Mark Basch, I think I will just put the old calipers back on, and button up the job and be done with it.

I don't want to risk doing any damage while I'm at it. :

Burbel, All, It's like any other service. If you have a good NSX Tech, have him remove the calipers and dis assemble them, take the parts you want coated to the powder coater, and that's it. I HIGHLY reccomend replacing the seals while you are at it. It is VERY hard to remove them in a way you can GAURENTEE that they are not compromised. Sure, alot have done it, but they got lucky.
Acura says, and so do I, if you remove these seals for any reason, replace them.

I agree with Lud- once coated, the rust proofing comes from the TOTAL seal of the powder coat. To remove parts of it, even carefully, will leave open a place for rust to get started and once it starts, look out.

Good Luck,
Mark

Back