• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Quaife quick ratio manual steering rack

This sounds interesting...the slower rack on the NSX has always been one of the most unique parts of the driving experience, but admittedly not my favorite. My car is equipped with EPS. Are the racks significantly different?

A quick update on this. Matt / [MENTION=15998]d1 guy[/MENTION] at NSX Rack Repair has agreed to both send a stock rack to Quaife, and to handle the group buy. We got sending instructions from Quaife yesterday. Matt will send it on over, then Quaife will do an analysis on the rack, give us rack gain options + a quote so we'll know exactly what our ratio options are and how much each rack will cost.

Add me to the list as well, rebuilding the steering rack is next on my list and it'd be nice to quicken the ratio as well. Any idea if this will be compatible with the upgraded "rack knock bushing" that people are using to replace the worn plastic piece? I'm assuming if all other dimensions are the same it should work. I'm in regardless, thank you for following through with this!

Hey [MENTION=21305]jvtec95[/MENTION], I added you to the list in the OP. It should be compatible with the knock bushing, like you said, all dimensions except for the pitch on the rack/pinion should be the same.

A quick update on this, I texted with Matt today and he says he will send a rack in the next couple weeks.

I'm late to the party. What does total cost look like? Kit is $230. How much effort/cost to swap the kit components in? (And how much effort to remove rack?)

I like idea of faster ratio but my rack is still very good/tight/like-new, so I'm not otherwise considering any maintenance of it (so all of the labor is not already a foregone conclusion).

Not late! I’m honestly not sure what it would cost to install it.

I can’t imagine removing and reinstalling the stock rack housing from the car is more than half a day as a generous estimate. Unscrew the tie rod ends, unbolt it and pull it out. It seems pretty accessible. Others on this thread have done it so very possible I’m wrong!

Installing the new rack and pinion is an unknown from me. I’ve installed a quaife rack in a civic and I remember it being pretty negligible—maybe only a couple hours or less. But who knows, there could be something on the nsx rack that makes it painful.

A general update on this. I texted with Matt from nsx rack repair the other day, he’s been sick so hasn’t sent the rack to quaife yet, he said soon. Once they get it, I hope things can move reasonably fast. At the very least get a is possible or not and a range of possible gains / ratios.

Last edited:
Great I've added both [MENTION=23528]Track Addict[/MENTION] and [MENTION=35592]93NSXR[/MENTION] to the list.

This is moving, albeit slowly. I've been reluctant to post any updates until quaife has a rack. I now have SoS involved and [MENTION=17232]piran1[/MENTION] has offered up his rack once his new one is installed on the car (huge thanks!). I'm considering buying a new rack (+ knock bushing) too. Hopefully we can get a rack to quaife in the next month or so.

Great I've added both @Track Addict and @93NSXR to the list.

This is moving, albeit slowly. I've been reluctant to post any updates until quaife has a rack. I now have SoS involved and @piran1 has offered up his rack once his new one is installed on the car (huge thanks!). I'm considering buying a new rack (+ knock bushing) too. Hopefully we can get a rack to quaife in the next month or so.

Sweet thanks for adding me to the list. A quicker rack would probably be the most important mod that I will do to my car.

I swapped my steering rack this past weekend for a low mileage one that I rebuilt. If a rack is needed, I'll volunteer my old one as it's removed and ready to go. Let me know if this would help move things along and PM me with details. Thanks to those who have reached out to quaife and done the preliminary analysis.

Back