• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Question about 3rd gear in 5 speed tranny

For some reasons, 3rd gear doesnt pull as hard as 2nd and 4th. Is it just me or what? Maybe time for turn up the boost a little bit lol

worn 3rd-gear synchros...

For some reasons, 3rd gear doesnt pull as hard as 2nd and 4th. Is it just me or what? Maybe time for turn up the boost a little bit lol
Worn 3rd-gear synchros in the 5spd-transmission is a noted & documented issue in the NSX for some owners. Why & when it manifests, not totally sure. But, it's something that has surfaced for a few NSX'ers. Not sure if this is what's going on w/ you in your situation. Only other thing I can think of would be clutch-life. I know when my clutch was on its way to failing, I wouldn't be able to pull as strongly in 2nd and/or 3rd gear (felt like the flywheel was detached from the transmission, in certain rev ranges), relative to when being in other gears which engaged properly & precisely.

Last edited:
It's normal for it to not accelerate as hard as second, due to the gearing advantage of second gear. But for the same reason, acceleration in third should be stronger than acceleration in fourth.

Are you shifting at redline for both gear changes?

(Note that the difference in audible volume before and after upshifting creates the perception of slower acceleration in the higher gear, adding to the actual acceleration differences.)

Yes I shifted around 7500 to 8000 rpm on all gear. I hardly top out 4th, most the time I only go through 1st, 2nd and 3dr then slow down.

My guess...purely psychological. I often being to wonder if my cars are slower than they used to be or if I'm just getting used to it. Its always been the latter lol.

Back