• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about Vietnamese weddings

Vietnamese weddings it's tradition to give cash, so a monetary gift is highly welcomed but not required The bride and groom will usually head to each table to collect the envelopes at such time you can make them do something funny to collect.
One of my favorite is called "practice makes perfect" blindfold the groom and having a pencil with a 8 inch string attached to it. The other end of the string is attached to the grooms crotch area and a beer bottle is place between his legs. He has to put the pencil inside the beer bottle. It's hilarious seeing the groom try and do this. Also enjoy the 8 course meal that most Vietnamese receptions have. Good luck and have fun.

I have been invited to a Vietnamese wedding (Vietnamese & Mien couple). There is no wedding registry.

I asked if there is one, or what kind of gifts I should give. They say no gift is necessary, that my presence alone is an honor.

Of course that is not acceptable. I need to give a wedding gift. Is a monetary gift okay? Please help.

No gifts please = money if anything. :biggrin:

You want to cover their cost per head at the very minimum. The bride and groom know this number very well. If you're close to the groom you can ask him. These days, at a nice place giving out $100 per person is usually OK, if you come with a guest, you should double that amount. After the dinner, they come around to collect their money. If you want to be ready, have an envelope with the money in it and write your name on it.

Thanks again. I plan on placing something special in the wedding card envelope... would that be appropriate? I don't have any red envelopes... maybe I should find a Vietnemese store or a Chinese store somewhere. :biggrin:

I missed a wedding in Hawaii a few weeks ago. They had a nice wedding registry - a honeymoon fund, helicopter tours, snorkeling, etc., all nicely put on a website with PayPal options. That made the gift giving extremely easy!! :biggrin:

I hate having to guess at what people want. I'm more straight forward and prefer they just tell me.

You can put something in the wedding card if you want, but to be honest, it may not even get to the bride and groom.

Usually there will be a registration table set up in the front, where the bride and groom is standing to greet guest and take pictures. You normally give the money there.

It can be in a red envelope or in any envelope for that matter. Someone from the bridal party or family member is normally there to collect the money. Sometime they just shove it in a bag with the rest of the money or sometime they take out the money and throw the cards and envelopes in another bag (trash).

How much money to give them?
It really depends how well you know this person and how fancy the wedding is. If it is at a very fancy restaurant then you should give a little more. At the very least you should giving about $50/person. A table normally holds 10 people so if you figure $50 x 10 = $500/table. Tables can cost anywhere from $350 - $900/table. If it is a very good friend then you should be giving $80-$100/person.

You shouldn't have to give more than $100 unless your a close friend/family member or if you slept with his sister :) LOL.

Remember 8's are lucky numbers for Asians. Try avoiding numbers with 4's.

Last edited:
Back