• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question re: quick detailers

Are there any differences (in shine) between the more popular 'quick detailers' like Zaino, Meguiars, Griots, etc. ?

It seems they all do a good job of getting rid of dust or light road debris, but for those who've tried different brands of detailers, did you notice which ones left a better shine?

With quick detailers, the shine is a function of the shine on the finish before the dust or the light road debris. If it shined before, it should shine after.

Keep in mind that these products are different from a show car product like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, which is designed to make the finish shine for car shows by filling in scratches but whose benefits are gone when you wash the car off.

I have been recently using these wipes named "The Glosser". They are large, have 5 to a pack, available at Pep Boys, probably other auto parts stores. Can wipe down entire car quickly and leaves a good shine.

Do you think each Company's detailer product works best with thier own polishes/waxes? IOW any chemical design based upon chemical composition of their other products, or would you suspect the instant detailers are mostly generic in compostion? If I used Maguire's wax, do I get better results using Maguire's pre-cleaner/detailer/etc....?

Originally posted by NSXLNT:
Do you think each Company's detailer product works best with thier own polishes/waxes? IOW any chemical design based upon chemical composition of their other products, or would you suspect the instant detailers are mostly generic in compostion? If I used Maguire's wax, do I get better results using Maguire's pre-cleaner/detailer/etc....?

I doubt that it makes a whole lot of difference. I like to use the best product for each purpose, regardless of brand. So while I use Zymol wax to give my car its bright, deep, long-lasting shine, I use Meguiars Quik Detailer for spot cleaning, and it works fine. Just my O.

One thing that I've noticed with the Zaino "quick detailer" aka Z-6 Gloss Enhancer is that it helps to keep the dust off.

Zaino says that there's an anti-static agent in the product and I don't know if it's that or not.

In any case whatever it is, it does seem to work.

- Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

For the most part any quick detailer should do the job. The only time one should be used over another is if it's made to work better with the product line. IE Zaino, Blackfire and Pinnacle all have thier own QDs. In these cases it's best to use that one. But if you have some Blitz or some random wax than any QD you like will work. I have one (professional product.. comes in a gallon jug) that works great, even outside on a black car in the sun it won't streak.

The only real difference between QDs are that some actually contain Carnuaba wax, it just sort of refinishes the surface with a thin coat of wax. If you want a general QD to work with your wax a lot of people use Meguiars Final Inspection.

Originally posted by Dr. Jones:
If you want a general QD to work with your wax a lot of people use Meguiars Final Inspection.

Which is virtually identical to Meguiars Quik Detailer. (One is marketed under their "consumer" line of products, the other under their "professional" line.)

Just wanted to let people know that I recently tried a Meguiar's product that I was informed should be applied BETWEEN major waxes to keep the sheen strong.

The product is entitled "Meguiar's Cleaner Wax." It is the left-most bottle in the following picture (no affiliation):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=741781231

Opinion: I thought the product was great in its ability to recreate a very nice shine, but a couple of points to note:

(1) It requires a fair amount of work to rub off. I thought (perhaps my own naivete) that once applied, it would rub off very easily, but it required the same effort and polishing that regular waxing requires. (In looking at the suite of Meguiar products in the picture, I'm thinking that what I bought may actually be the full-blown wax product, and it is probably the "Quik Wax" bottle that should be applied in-between major waxes. What do you guys think??)

(2) It did leave a fair amount of powder debris, which I was a little irritated by. Nothing that a nice quick drive couldn't blow away, but I still found it slightly irritating, and a little anti-climatic.

However, all-in-all, the product does create a beautiful shine.

Just wanted to let people know, in case they are looking.

I look forward to also testing some of the other products mentioned in this post. I think the "Glosser" looks really interesting, and I will keep an eye out for it the next time around.

Regards.

[This message has been edited by NSXaholic (edited 01 December 2002).]

As a point of reference, and since Zaino was mentioned in the original post...

The Zaino "quick detailer" is called Z6. It's a liquid that has the consistency of water. You spray it on a small section at a time and then you wipe off the haze. You can see it evaporate as you wipe.

Therefore, there's no residue at all and there's no effort to remove it. It also cuts down on static build-up. Good stuff.

-Jim

PS: Here's the description from the Zaino site...

"...Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray is a very important addition to the Show Car Polish line-up. This product dramatically boosts and intensifies all Show Car Polishes. Z-6 contains seven optical clarifiers and our unique wet gloss enhancers to increase the "wet-looking", mile-deep Show Car Polish shine. We highly recommend it for fast cleaning of dust, water spots and light soil from painted surfaces, without scratching. Forms a tough molecular bond with Show Car Polish to increase the depth of gloss, optical clarity, slickness, durability and reinforce the UV(40) protection. Super anti-static formula reduces dust and dirt pickup by up to 60%. Z-6 will not streak, smear, haze, dull or leave a film. A must for quick touch-ups and the show winning edge. Concentrated 16 oz. spray. Less than one ounce does an average car."

------------------
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Thanks for the Z-6 reminder Jim. It seems like a good product. Know where I can get it from on the cheap?? If not, I'll just pick it up from the Zaino website.

Also wanted to confirm that I can use it WITHOUT washing/waxing the car (assuming the car is not overly dirty), ie., just as a once-a-week spray on. I assume that is it's purpose, thus the "quick" moniker.

Regards.

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
Just wanted to let people know that I recently tried a Meguiar's product that I was informed should be applied BETWEEN major waxes to keep the sheen strong.

The product is entitled "Meguiar's Cleaner Wax."

That's not the purpose of the Meguiars Cleaner Wax. This is a one-step product that strips off whatever wax was on the car, polishes, and protects. Many manufacturers offer a one-step product because it is more convenient to use than three separate steps to clean, polish, and protect. However, the results are not as good as you will achieve using separate products for each of those steps - regardless of which brand you use. And the effort and the powder debris are typical of many petroleum-based wax products.

If you want the best results for your car, I recommend that you use separate products for cleaning, polishing/cleansing, and protecting your car.

In between waxes, to keep the shine up, I just keep it clean using your favorite car wash liquid. I like using the quick detailers such as Meguiars Quik Detailer on a spot basis, such as for a bird dropping, when I am not washing the entire car.

I see from Meguiars website that the Quik Wax product can be used "to enhance color, restore shine and add a light coat of extra protection in between regular waxings". I have not tried this product, but it sounds very similar to the Zymol Field Glaze product, which contains carnauba and is designed to be a detailer that provides a wax touch-up. I've used the Zymol Field Glaze, but find that if I want to use a detailer as a spot touch-up as noted above, I like the Meguiars Quik Detailer better, and if the entire car needs the shine restored, it's so easy to put on another coat of Zymol Japon wax that I do this rather than using the Field Glaze. Since Zymol Japon is 37 percent carnauba, you can use a very thin coat, so that it is very easy to apply and lightly buff off, and it leaves little to no residue.

NSXaholic, one of the most knowledgeable detailing professionals in the country is here in the Chicago area - Larry Emmons, owner of Emmons Coachworks, a business that offers detailing services at its shop in Villa Park and sells detailing products and other automotive accessories, there as well as through their website. Stop by there for excellent advice on detailing. And let me know if you'd like to take a look at my '91 NSX - I'd be happy to share some detailing tips with you, and even help you detail your NSX when you get it.

Thanks very much nsxtasy. This is what you get when you make an impromptu stop at PepBoys and casually rely on the advice of what appeared to be a knowledgeable salesperson. Anyways, lesson learned, and fortuanately not too much damage done, given the gleam of the car.

The prospect of visiting Emmons Coachworks is interesting. I take it you are close to where they are nsxtasy. I might try to schedule a trip to see them (and you) next week, as by then hopefully I have my DIN cable that I have been discussing in this thread. Assuming all the pieces are in place, I will be getting the CD Changer installed by Tweeter (I am technically in-adept!!). They are in Lake Forest, which is in the same direction as Villa Parks, and seems to be only fifteen minutes away as determined by MapQuest.

So let me let you know. I'll private you once I get better clarity on my plans.

And thanks for the clarifying info on the waxes.

Regards.

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
The prospect of visiting Emmons Coach is interesting. I take it you are close to where they are nsxtasy.
They are in Lake Forest, which is in the same direction as Villa Parks, and seems to be only fifteen minutes away as determined by mapquest

Mapquest is wrong.

Lake Forest is about 20 miles north of O'Hare. Emmons is in the southern end of Villa Park, right near Oak Brook Center mall, about 10 miles south of O'Hare. It's not exactly convenient for me, since I'm just north of the city near the lake, but when I need detailing supplies, it's worth the trip.

LMK when you'd like to get together. Keep in mind though that it's tough to find a good time to detail the cars, now that winter is approaching. Not only does water freeze on cold days, but many of the wax products become difficult to apply even when the temperature is just above freezing.

NSXaholic,

Z6 is $9.95 a bottle. And that bottle should last several years. The price will be pretty much the same wherever you go. You can order it from Zaino, online at www.ecklers.com or contact Zaino for the local distributor nearest you.

Rgds,
Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 01 December 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 01 December 2002).]

Originally posted by Jimbo:
NSXaholic,

You can order it from Zaino, online at www.ecklers.com, or contact Zaino for the local distributor nearest you.

Rgds,
Jim

Jimbo, slight error in your Ecklers link - (need to lose the comma)
Here is the link directly to the waxes & cleaners page. http://www.ecklers.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=126&mscssid=PB25MWFH0VS92L0B00N0SM2EPK72D5JB
Also, quick reminder that you should use Z6 in conjunction with the other Zaino products it is designed to compliment - not sure how effective it is over Carnauba products. If using Carnauba probably stick to Meguiars.
However, a great opportunity to switch to complete Zaino range over the winter - no problem with cold temps like wax products, will apply just as easily.

D'Ecosse,

Thanks. I made the change. You're right about Z6.
It is designed to be used with Zaino polishes. It's not compatible with carnuaba-based products or other synthetics.

In fact, I used Z6 today...and it's damn cold here. Worked fine.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Back